- Volume 39 Issue 6
This study explored various issues related to the quality-of-life for obese Korean men. In-depth interviews were conducted with thirty men over BMI 25 whose age ranged from 20's to 50's. Projective techniques along with semi-structured interviews were used. The results of interviews were analyzed based on grounded theory. "Stress" was the main phenomenon resulting from the causal conditions of obesity and stigma. Stress consisted of social, psychological, physical and environmental factors. Contextual conditions mediating the relationship between causal conditions and main phenomenon were obesity level, pressure, and public appearance. Avoidance, change of personal traits, and insensitivity were the action/reactions to the main phenomenon. Various factors due to obesity disappeared and quality-of-life increased when they succeed in weight reduction; however, factors related to obesity and lowered condition of quality-of-life continued if they experienced a weight gain/loss yo-yo.
Obese men;Quality-of-life;Stress;Grounded theory
- Brandheim, S., Rantakeisu, U., & Starrin, B. (2013). BMI and psychological distress in 68,000 Swedish adults: a weak association when controlling for an age-gender combination. BMI Public Health, 13(1), 1-7. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-13-1
- Carr, D., & Friedman, M. A. (2005). Is obesity stigmatizing? Body weight, perceived discrimination and psychological well-being in the United States. Journal of Health and Social Behavior, 46, 244-259. https://doi.org/10.1177/002214650504600303
- Choi, H. S., & Ha, J. C. (2012). A study on the relations between the quality of life and the life satisfaction of the elderly. Journal of the Korean Data and Information Science Society, 23(3), 559-568. https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2012.23.3.559
- Farrow, C., & Tarrant, M. (2009). Weight-based discrimination, body dissatisfaction and emotional eating: The role of perceived social consensus. Psychology and Health, 24 (9), 1021-1034. https://doi.org/10.1080/08870440802311348
- Garner, R., Feeny, D., Thompson, A., Bernier, J., McFarland, B., Huguet, N., Kaplan, M., Orpana, H., Ross, N., & Blanchard, C. (2012). Bodyweight, gender, and quality of life: a population-based longitudinal study. Quality of Life Research, 21(5), 813-825. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11136-011-9989-1
- Goulding, C. (2002). Grounded theory: A practical guided for management, business, and market researchers. London: Sage Publications Inc.
- Herman, K., Hopman, W., & Rosenberg, M. (2013). Self-rated health and life satisfaction among Canadian adults: associations of perceived weight status versus BMI. Quality of Life Research, 22, 2693-2705. doi:10.1007/s11136-013-0394-9 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11136-013-0394-9
- Kim, Y. H., Kim, J. H., & Park, J. Y. (2001). A study about stressors that middle-aged men go through and coping behavior. Journal of Korean Home Management Association, 19(6), 157-172.
- King, E., Shapiro, J., Hebl, M., Singletary, S., & Turner, S. (2006). The stigma of obesity in customer service: a mechanism for remediation and bottom-line consequences of interpersonal discrimination. Journal of Applied Psychology, 91(3), 579-593. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.91.3.579
- Bocicor, A., Preg, Z., Hubatsch, M., & Kikeli, P. (2010). Psychological consequences of obesity in three rural communites in Mures county. Acta Medica Marisiensis, 56(4), 318-321.
- Bookwala, J., & Boyar, J. (2008). Gender, excessive body weight and psychological well-being in adulthood. Psychology of Women Quarterly, 32(2), 188-195. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1471-6402.2008.00423.x
- Ku, Y. S., Lee, Y. J., & Choo, T. G. (2010). A study on appearance management behavior of male consumers-Focusing on the age-. Journal of the Korean Society for Clothing Industry, 12(4), 459-466. https://doi.org/10.5805/KSCI.2010.12.4.459
- Laforest, L., Ganse, E., Ritleng, C., Desamericq, G., Letrilliart, L., Moreau, A., Rosen, S., Mechin, H., & Chamba, G. (2009). Correlates of quality of life of pre-obese and obese patients: a pharmacy-based cross-sectional survey. BMC Public Health, 9, 337-347. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-9-337
- Latner, J., & Stunkard, A. (2003). Getting worse: The stigmatization of obese children. Obesity Research, 11, 452-456. https://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2003.61
- Lee, H. G., & Kim, Y. H. (2012). A integrative approach of psychological variables to predict health-related quality of life in adults. The Korean Journal of Physical Education, 51(5), 207-216.
- Lim, I. S. (2005). Men's acceptance level of body-management and their appearance anxiety. Korean Journal of Sociology, 39(6), 87-118.
- Linna, M., Kapiro, J., Raevuori, A., Sihvola, E., Keski-Rahkonen, A., & Rissanen, A. (2013). Body mass index and subjective well-being in young adults: a twin population study. BMC Public Health, 13(1), 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-13-1
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. (2014). 2012 건강행태 및 만성질환 통계 [2012 Health Behavior and Chronic Disease Statistics]. Seoul: Author.
- Muennig, P. (2008). The body politic: the relationship between stigma and obesity-associated disease. BMC Public Health, 8, 128. Retrieved January 20, 2015, from http://bmcpublichealth.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-2458-8-128 https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-8-128
- Myers, A., & Rosen, J. C. (1999). Obesity stigmatization and coping: relation to mental health symptoms, body image, and self-esteem. International Journal of Obesity, 23, 221-230. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0800765
- Piao, X., Choi, H. J., & Kim, S. G. (2012). The effect of social support on the quality of life of Korean-Chinese youth in Yanbian, China: Focused on the mediating effects of self-esteem. Korean Journal of Youth Studies, 19(5), 47-69.
- Rosmond, R., & Bjorntorp, P. (2000). Quality of life, overweight, and body fat distribution in middle-aged men. Behavioral Medicine, 26(2), 90-94. https://doi.org/10.1080/08964280009595757
- Strauss, A., & Corbin, S. (1990). Basic of qualitative research: Grounded theory procedures and techniques. Newbury Park, CA: Sage Publication.
- Sutin, A. R., Ferrucci, L., Zonderman, A. B., & Terracciano, A. (2011). Personality and obesity across the adult life span. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 101 (3), 579-592. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0024286
- WHO. (1993). WHOQOL study protocol. Geneva: Author.
- Yoo, E. Y., Kim, H. J., & Kim, M. H. (2012). Factors influencing quality of life in married immigrant women in Korea. Journal of Korean Academy Nursing, 42(2), 171-180. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2012.42.2.171
- Yu, H. K., Ko, S. Y., & Kim, C. J. (2013). Plus-size women and appearance management with a focus on clothing-Grounded theory based exploratory-. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 37(3), 306-318. doi:10.5850/JKSCT.2013.37.3.306 https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2013.37.3.306
- '스타일 할배' 변신으로 활력 ['Style halbae' change rejuvenates]. (2015, February 18). Chosunilbo, p. A8.
- Development of a Appearance related Quality of Life Instrument for Korean Men and Investigation on Body Factors Influencing Appearance related Quality of Life vol.18, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2016.18.5.595
- The Effects of Obesity Stress, Weight Bias, and Heath Care on BMI in Soldiers of Non-combat Area vol.25, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2016.25.3.199
Supported by : 한국연구재단