- Volume 39 Issue 6
This study explores the level of designer brands' market oriented attitude through a conceptual framework of market orientation. Designer brands have rapidly increased in the Korean fashion market with a competitive environment that pushes designers to improve market oriented attitudes and strategy. Designers working for 20 brands that the government designated as 'promising creative designer brands' were invited for in-depth interviews, 19 designers from 18 brands participated in this study. The generation of market intelligence that composes market orientation meant that the designers were confirmed to collecting different types of information according to information sources. They showed interest in collecting information on the exploration of design trends from overseas designers as well as operational and managerial information from domestic designers. Fashion-related stakeholders mainly collected feedback on design concepts from the press and public institutions. They collected customer feedback from buyers; however, appropriate feedback was inadequate. Designers generally appeared to place less value on the collection of customer responses and opinions; however, two groups of designers showed customer-oriented attitudes according to accumulated experience. The market-oriented attitude of top designers had an important role in designer brands; consequently, top designers should be properly trained to improve market-oriented attitudes to increase market performance.
New designer;Designer brand;Designer fashion;Market orientation;Customer orientation
- Ruekert, R. W. (1992). Developing a market orientation: an organizational strategy perspective. International Journal of Research in Marketing, 9(3), 225-245. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-8116(92)90019-H
- Son, J. A. (2010). Intellectual capital in fashion company: the relationship between performance and competitive strategy. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Seoul National University, Seoul.
- The Malcolm Newbery Consulting Company. (2003). A study of the UK designer fashion sector. London: DTI.
- Webster, F. E. (1988). The rediscovery of the marketing concept. Business Horizons, 31(3), 29-39.
- Yoo, K. W., Jeong, J. W., Kim, Y. S., & Kim, H. B. (2012). Qualitative research methods. Seoul: Pakyoungsa.
- 신진 디자이너 전성시대의 명암 "감성 충만, 소비성은 글쎄" [Light and darkness of new designer brands "emotional fullness, commercial weakness"]. (2014, January 27). Chic News. Retrieved March 10, 2015, from http://fashion.mk.co.kr/view.php?no=139896&year=2014
- '추적60분' 열정페이, 그 불편한 강요 ['60 minutes chasing' Passion Pay, an inconvenient push]. (2015, March 7). KBS News. Retrieved March 10, 2015, from http://news.kbs.co.kr/news/NewsView.do?SEARCH_NEWS_CODE=3032205&ref=A
- 패션 한류, 세계적 바이어들의 눈길 사로잡다 [K-fashion, eyecatching global buyers]. (2015, January 26). Korea Creative Content Agency. Retrieved March 10, 2015, from http://www.kocca.kr/cop/bbs/view/B0000138/1823881.do?menuNo=200831
- Ahn, B. K. (1998). 패션기업 경영론 [Business administration of fashion]. Seoul: Kyungchoonsa.
- Ahn, K. H., & Lee, J. Y. (1997). 브랜드 파워 [Brand power]. Seoul: Haneon Publishing.
- Centre for Fashion Enterprise. (2008). The UK designer fashion economy. London: NESTA
- Choo, H. J., & Choi, M. Y. (2007). A classifying model of Korean fashion brands for global strategy development. Journal of the Korean Society for Clothing Indystry, 9(5), 516-527.
- Han, C. Y., & Lee, S. J. (2008). An exploratory study for the market of Seoul Collection-From the collection participants' perspective-. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 32(4), 562-572. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2008.32.4.562
- Jaworski, B. J., & Kohli, A. K. (1993). Market orientation: antecedents and consequences. Journal of Marketing, 57 (3), 53-70. https://doi.org/10.2307/1251854
- Jung, J. W. (2010). Research on the characteristic of designer fashion industry and government support policy. Journal of The Korean Society of Fashion Design, 10(1), 93-106.
- Kim, Y., Kang, M. S., & Kim, S. W. (2012). A study on obstacle factors for new fashion designer business. Journal of Business Research, 27(3), 197-221.
- Kirca, A. H., Jayachandran, S., & Bearden, W. O. (2005). Market orientation: a meta-analytic review and assessment of its antecedents and impact on performance. Journal of Marketing, 69(2), 24-41. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.188.8.131.52761
- Lee, M. S. (2014). An analysis on E Suktae's designs from an aesthetical perspective - Focusing on collections from 2011 S/S to 2013 S/S -. Journal of the Korean Society of Fashion Design, 14(2), 157-167.
- Lee, Y. S. (2002). Merchandising power analysis by the basis on the coporation's core competition: successful merchandising method of the fashion industry. Fiber Technology and Industry, 6(3/4), 194-205.
- Narver, J. C., & Slater, S. F. (1990). The effect of a market orientation on business profitability. Journal of Marketing, 54(4), 20-35. https://doi.org/10.2307/1251757
- A Survey on the Current Status of Management of Fashion Start-up Companies by the Rising Fashion Designers vol.67, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.7233/jksc.2017.67.2.131
Supported by : 한국연구재단