- Volume 39 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
A Men's Following Up Image Change and the Aspect of Ideal Appearance Type of Korean and Chinese Men -Focused on Men in Their 20s to Their 40s-
한국과 중국 남성의 이상적인 외모유형과 남성의 추구이미지 변화 양상 -20~40대를 중심으로-
Lee, Yoon Kyung;Jung, Dawool;Bian, Lihua
- Received : 2015.06.10
- Accepted : 2015.08.23
- Published : 2015.12.31
This research studies socio-cultural hegemony change focused on male society through contemporary ideal masculine images of Asian men (especially Korean and Chinese men). Participants were: South Korean men in and around Seoul and Chinese men in Beijing and Shanghai. The youngest survey participants in their 20's and the oldest in their 40's were asked about their present men's appearance images and masculinity as well as asked to evaluate satisfaction with their own style, and interest in fashion trends on a 5-point Likert scale. In this research, an ideal masculinity was tested by 6 characters (traditional masculinity, macho masculinity, androgynous masculinity, adolescent masculinity, trendy masculinity, and general masculinity) as male avatars. Asian men's consciousness of an ideal masculinity image has moved gradually from traditional masculinity to trendy masculinity, leading to new roles in a socio-cultural agenda. Korean and Chinese men are more interested in appearance and notice fashionable styles to be trendy that follow the latest fashion because most other Asian men reflect a traditional masculinity as an ideal appearance image.
Masculinity;Ideal image;Appearance image
- Size Korea. (2013). 6차 인체치수조사 [The 6th Size Korea]. Size Korea. Retrieved November 14, 2015, from http://sizekorea.kats.go.kr/03_report/6th.asp
- Song, H. Y. (2011). Die mnnerkrper in der werbung, 'It's a Men's World' [The men's bodies in advertising, 'It's a Men's World']. Koreanische Kafka Gesellschaft, 25, 329-249.
- Wu, T. (2012, November). The Rise of the Stylish Chinese Men A Snapshot of the Chinese male fashion market and consumers 2012. Value Partners. Retrieved December 2, 2013, from http://www.valuepartners.com/downloads/PDF_Comunicati/Perspective/pr_121116_vp-men-clothing-china.pdf
- Yi, Z. T. (2000). Women and men in China (K. H. Hong, Trans.). Seoul: Bubin Books. (Original work published 1988)
- 패션업계 '남성'에 주목한다 [Man began to grab the attention of the fashion]. (2014, August 10). Dailian. Retrieved January 27, 2015, from http://www.dailian.co.kr/news/view/452717
- 2010年国民体质监測公报 [2010 national physique monitoring report]. (2011, September 2). General Administration of Sport of China. Retrieved June 2, 2015, from http://www.sport.gov.cn/n16/n1077/n297454/2052709.html
- Connell, R. W. (1995). Masculinities. Cambridge: Oxford.
- Park, E. J. (2008). Men's actual usage and purchase pattern of cosmetics according to their appearance-related attitude. Journal of the Korean Society of Fashion & Beauty, 6 (4), 267-277.
- Park, S. M. (2007). The social construction of making-up men's image: advertisements for men's cosmetics. Korean Journal of Social Issues, 7(2), 125-156.
- Park, S. W. (2009). Comparative study on beauty care and cleansing habits for global business with men's cleanser products. Unpublished master's thesis, Chung-Ang Univer-sity, Seoul.
- Park, S., & Cho, E. (2002). Male gender role and adjustment of Korean men. Korean Journal of Psychological and Social Issues, 8(2), 77-103.
- Polhemus, T. (2000). 'Invisible man' material man: Masculinity sexuality style. New York, NY: H.N. Abrams.
- Rudd, N. A., & Lennon, S. J. (1994). Aesthetics of the body and social identity theory. In M. DeLong & A. M. Fiore (Eds.), Aesthetics of textiles and clothing: Advancing multidisciplinary perspectives (pp. 163-175). Monument, CO: International Textiles and Apparel Association.
- Tajfel, H. (1981). Human groups and social categories. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Tajfel, H., & Turner, J. C. (1979). An integrative theory of social conflict. In W. Austin & S. Worchel (Eds.), The social psychology of intergroup relations (pp. 33-47). Monterey, CA: Brooks/Cole.
- Mosse, G. L. (1998). The image of man. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Choi, K. H. (2006). Socio-semiotic analysis of plural sexuality represented in modern fashion. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Seoul National University, Seoul.
- Hong, K. H. (2007). Male college student's ideal body image and appearance management behaviors in the age of lookism. Journal of Women's Studies, 18, 187-214.
- Hur, J. M., & Lim, S. W. (2011). Korean male youth's bodymaking culture in the perspective of Jean Baudrillard's consumer society theory. The Korean Journal of Physical Education, 50(3), 155-164.
- Jung, G. H. (2002). A study of the influence on television advertising due to the change of social policy : Femininity and masculinity in television advertising. Journal of Advertising, 13(5), 45-71.
- Jung, S. W. (2005). 담배 피우는 여자 VS 우는 남자 [Smoking female VS Crying male]. Seoul: Siaa.
- Kim, H. J. (2006). East Asian masculinities in the West: The representation and the negotiation of masculinity and ethnicity in experiences of Korean male immigrants in the UK. Space and Environment, 26, 220-252.
- Kim, M. J., & Park, H. R. (2010). Appearance management typology & the related factors in 20-30's male consumer. Journal of Living Science Research, 36, 105-122.
- Lee, H. O., & Ku, Y. S. (2013). Study on appearance-oriented, appearance management behavior according to the types of masculinity. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 15(6), 923-931. https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2013.15.6.923
- Craig, S. (1999). Men, masculinity, and media (1st ed.). Newbury Park, CA: SAGE.
- Festinger, L. (1954). A theory of social comparison processes. Human Relations, 7, 117-140. https://doi.org/10.1177/001872675400700202
- Lim, I. S. (2005). Men' acceptance level of body-management and their appearance anxiety. Korean Journal of Sociology, 39(6), 87-118.
- Moon, S. S. (1998). Gender, militarization, and universal male conscription in South Korea. In L. A. Lorentzen & J. Turpin (Eds.), The women and war reader (pp. 90-100). New York & London: New York University Press.
- 중국남성 소비자 분석 [Analysis of male consumer in China]. (2013, December 6). Samsung Design Net. Retrieved January 29, 2015, from http://www.samsungdesign.net/ChinaInfo/IndustryWatch/Consumer/List.asp?an=23086&keyword=%C1%DF%B1%B9+%B3%B2%BC%BA
- 北京市 2010年国民体质监測结果公报 [Beijing 2010 national physique monitoring results report]. (2011, November 29). Beijing Municipal Bureau of Sports. Retrieved June 2, 2015, from http://www.bjsports.gov.cn/publish/main/116307/116338/2012/12/19/20121219165257515537338/1373957115183.pdf
- The difference in female image preference by nation and gender between Korea and China vol.26, pp.6, 2018, https://doi.org/10.29049/rjcc.2018.26.6.872