- Volume 16 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Yoga and Pilates Training on Obesity Indexes, muscle mass in each body part and Physical Fitness in Male College Students
요가와 필라테스 트레이닝이 비만 남자대학생의 비만도, 신체 부위별 근육량 및 체력에 미치는 영향
- Kim, Ji-Sun (Department of Leisure Sports, Jungwon University)
- 김지선 (중원대학교 레저스포츠학과)
- Received : 2015.08.10
- Accepted : 2015.09.11
- Published : 2015.09.30
The purpose of this study was to examine the effect of Yoga and Pilates training on the obesity indexes, muscle mass in each body part and physical fitness of male college students in an effort to provide some clinical information on exercise prescription. The subjects in this study were 20 selected obese male students. A yoga group and a pilates group were organized with 10 students each, and the training was provided for 12 weeks, 5 times a week, 90 minutes each. The findings of the study were as follows: First, both of yoga and pilates made significant differences to obesity indexes(an increase in skeletal muscle mass, a decrease in BMI, a decrease in body fat rate and a decrease in WHR), to muscle mass in each body part(an increase in muscle mass on the right arm, left arm, trunk, right leg, and left leg), and to physical fitness(an increase in lower extremity muscle strength, muscular endurance, flexibility, left balance and right balance). Second, pilates exercised a more signifiant influence than yoga on an increase in skeletal muscle mass, the improvement of muscle mass in each body part(an increase in muscle mass on the right arm, left arm, trunk, right leg and left leg), and the improvement of balance(left and right). Third, yoga had a more significant impact on a decrease in BMI, body fat rate and WHR. Given the findings of the study, yoga and pilates seem to be efficient exercise programs to improve the obesity indexes of obese male college students and promote their health.
Yoga;Pilates;obesity index;muscle mass in each body part;physical fitness
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, 2012.
- J. S. Kim, Experiences in Self-dieting Program of Obese Male College Students, The Korean Academy of Adult Nursing, Vol. 25, No. 5, pp. 504-514, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2013.25.5.504 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2013.25.5.504
- Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism, National Sport Participation Survey in Korea, 2012.
- S. H. Jee, R. Pastor-Barriuso, L. J. Appel, I. Suh, E. R. Miller, & E. Guallar, Body mass index and incident is chemic heart disease in South Korean men and women, American Journal of Epidemiology, Vol. 162(1), pp. 42-48, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwi166 https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwi166
- K. H. Hwang, Cut-off points of percent body fat and BMI based on obesity-associated risk factors in adult Korean, Ph.D. Thesis, Eulji University School of Medicine, 2006.
- K. A. Hyung, Diagnostic Accuracy of Cardiovascular Disease Prediction Using WHR, %Body Fat, BMI for Korean Middle-aged Mem, Journal of Sport and Leisure Studies, Vol. 40, pp. 603-610, 2010.
- R. D. Brook, R. L. Bard, M. Rubenfire, P. M. Ridker, & S. Rahagopalan, Usefulness of visceral obesity(waist/hip) in prediction vascular endothelial function in healthy overweight adults, American Journal of Cardiology, Vol. 88(11), pp. 1261-1269, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0002-9149(01)02088-4
- M. S. Kim, S. H. Kim, S. H. Lee, Effects of Fitness Management Class on obese Indices and Health-related Fitness in College Men, The Journal of Korea Society for Wellness, Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 223-232, 2014.
- D. J. Kim, B. G. Lee, S. G. Woo, Effects of Kumdo on Obesity and Health-related Fitness in College Male Sutdents, The Journal of Korean Alliance of Martial Arts, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 235-245, 2009.
- K. H. Lee, The Effect of Physical Fitness Program on Body Composition and Blood Lipids According to FTO Polymorphism of Obese Male College Students, Journal of Korean Society for the Study of Physical Education, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 169-180, 2011.
- J. W. Park, (A) study on how circuit weight and multiple training by aerobic exercises may have effects on the respiratory functions and blood components of obese male college students, M.S. thesis, Yeungnam University, 2003.
- B. J. Cho, Effects of aerobics exercise on obesity Leptin, body composition and blood components, Korean journal of physical education, Vol. 44, No. 2, pp. 649-658, 2005.
- J. H. Jang, The effect of physical activity promotion program on obesity related variables in male university students, The Korean Journal of Sport, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 213-222, 2005.
- Y. H. Seo, Y. H. Son., S. D. Wee, Effects of Walking Exercise on Body Composition Blood Adiponectin, Ghrelin, Resistin and Insulin Resistance in Obese Male University Students, The Korean Journal of Growth and Development, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 131-137, 2011.
- B.K.S Iyenga, IyengarYoga, 2006.
- H. M. Kim, The effect of Yoga on Cardio-Pulmonary Function, Musculoskeletal Function and perception of helth status of some Students in College, The Korean Jounal of East West Science, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 15-30, 2005.
- H. S. Park, Y. J. Kim, Y. H. Kim, The Effect of Yoga Program on Reduced Blood Pressure in Elderly's Essential Hypertension, Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 32, No. 5, pp. 633-642, 2002. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2002.32.5.633
- N. H. Yeo, K. S. Oh, Y. R. Cha, S. H. Kang, Effect of Yoga Exercise Program on Catecholamine Growth Hormone in Pre and Postmenopausal Middle Aged Women, Korean Journal of Sport Science, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 31-40, 2008.
- T. Takahashi, T. Murata, T. Hamada, M. Omori, H. Kosaka, M. Kikuchi, H. Yoshida, Y. Wada, Changes in EEG and autonomic nervous activity during meditation and their association with personality traits, International Journal of Psychophysiology, Vol. 55, No. 2, pp. 199-207, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpsycho.2004.07.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpsycho.2004.07.004
- S. K. Park, E. H. Kim, Y. C. Kwon, Effect of the Yoga Program on Health Related Fitness, Depression, Stress Related Factors and Immune Cell in Middle-aged Women, Journal of Sport and Leisure Studies, Vol. 33, No. 2, pp. 999-1010, 2008.
- P. S. PMA, On Pilates, 2006.
- C. Lange, V. Unnithan, E. Larkam, P. Latta, Maximizing the benefits of pilates-inspired exercise for learning functional motor skills, Journal of Bodywork and Movement Therapies, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 99-108, 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1054/jbmt.1999.0161 https://doi.org/10.1054/jbmt.1999.0161
- Yang Jong Kim 'positively to examine relationships among attitude of health related, needs of exercise, participation in leisure sports and type of leisure sports through using structural equation modeling in members of leisure sports club'. Korean Journal of Physical Eduaction, Vol. 43, No. 5, pp. 101-111. 2014.
- WHO, Expert Consultation Appropriate body- mass index for Asian populations and its implications for policy and intervention strategies, Lancet, 363, pp 157-163, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(03)15268-3 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(03)15268-3
- Mc Baltimre: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, ACSM's guidelines for exercise testing and Prescription, 7th ed, American College of Sports Medicine, pp. 216-219, 2006.
- D. Y. Kim, J. A. Lee, J. H. Yang, Effects of Hatha Yoga Exercise on Body Composition, Serum Lipids, and Health-Related Fitness of Obese Middle-aged Women, Journal of Life Science, Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 521-528, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2011.21.4.521 https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2011.21.4.521
- G. B. Fordes, J. C. Reina, Adult lean body mass declines with age some lingitudinal observation, Metabolism, Vol. 19, pp. 653-663, 1991.
- M. Y. Park, Influence Pilates Exercise on Muscular Strength on Lumbar Region and Physical Composition, M.S. thesis, Nambu University, 2006.
- E. S. Lee, B. W. Kim, C. H. Kim, The Effects of 8 Weeks Pilates Universal Reformer Training on Body Composition, Strength of Lower Extremity & Balance Control Ability of Middle-Aged Women, Journal of Korea Sport Research, Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 217-228, 2008.
- Y. S. Ji, Clinical exercise prescription 2nd edition, 21 century education, 2006.
- P. L. Latey, Modern pilates : the step by step, at home guide to a stronger body, Crows Nest, N. S. W. : Allen & Unwin, 2002.
- J. A. Kloubec, Pilates for improvement of muscle endurance, flexibility, balance, and posture, The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, Vol. 24, No. 3, pp. 661-667, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1519/JSC.0b013e3181c277a6 https://doi.org/10.1519/JSC.0b013e3181c277a6
- B. C. Queiroz, M. F. Cagliari, C. F. Amorim, I. C. Sacco, Muscle activation during four Pilates core stability exercises in quadruped position, Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Vol. 91, No. 1, pp. 86-92, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2009.09.016 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2009.09.016
- Changes in physical fitness and body composition according to the physical activities of Korean adolescents vol.13, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.12965/jer.1735132.566