- Volume 16 Issue 9
This paper investigates the differentials in productivity and growth performance between small and medium size and large size firms in Korean manufacturing industries. According to the empirical analysis based on the Mining and Manufacturing Survey of Statistics Korea, this paper finds the following facts. First, the level of contribution of capital deepening on the growth rate of output(value added) is relatively greater in the small and medium size firm group, while the level of contribution of total factor productivity on the growth rate is relatively greater in the large size firm group. Second, the productivity polarization among the firms has increased relatively greater in the large size firm group over the past decade.
Capital Deepening;Firm Size;Growth Accounting;Productivity
- D. Kim, M. Kim, Y. Kim, and S. Kim, Accounting for Economic Growth in Korea: 1970-2010, KDI, 2012.
- K. Kim, "The Background and Policy Issues on the Creative Economy," Presentation Disquisition of KDI Policy Seminar, 2013.
- OECD, OECD Economic Surveys: KOREA, OECD, 2012.
- J. Kim, "An Economic Analysis on the Polarization between Small and Medium Size and Large Size Enterprises," KDI Focus No.16, 2011.
- R. Rowthorn and R. Ramaswamy, "Deindustrialization: Causes and Implications," IMF Working Paper No. 97-42, 1997.
- D. Pilat and A. Wolf, "Staying Competitive in the global Economy," OECD Working paper, 2007.
- D. Pilat, "Measuring Interaction between Manufacturing and Services," OECD Working Paper, 2011.
- Korea Small Business Institute(KOSBI), A Study on the GDP Share of Small and Medium Size Enterprises in Korea, KOSBI, 2005.
- W. Kim, "An Analysis on the Total Factor Productivity by Firm Size," KIET Issus Paper 2012-279, 2012.
- D. Kim, "An Analysis on the Productivity Differentials by Firm Size in Korean Manufacturing Industries," KDI Research Paper 2005-05, pp.175-210, 2005.
- Y. Kim and S. Lee, "A Study on the Level of Growth Contribution of Korean SMEs," Quarterly National Accounts Review 2014-1, 2014.
- B. Y. Aw, X. Chen, and M. J. Roberts, "Firm-level Evidence on Productivity Differentials and Turnover in Taiwanese Manufacturing," Journal of Development Economics, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3878(01)00155-9 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3878(01)00155-9
Supported by : 상명대학교