- Volume 16 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
The effect of parental social support on the transition to college life and career identity of nursing undergraduate college students
간호대학생 부모의 사회적 지지가 대학생활적응 및 진로정체감에 미치는 영향
Kim, Jae-Hee;Jang, Soong-nang;Ji, Hyun-Jin;Jung, Gyung-Ju;Seo, Yoo-Jin;Kim, Jin-Hyun;Choi, Young-Soon
- Received : 2015.06.15
- Accepted : 2015.09.11
- Published : 2015.09.30
The purpose of this study was to examine influential factors for the transition to college life and career identity of nursing students and what changes social support from parents brought about to them by academic year. The subjects in this study were 542 selected students who majored in nursing in four-year universities located in Seoul and the provinces. A self-administered survey was conducted to find out their general characteristics, social support from fathers and mothers, college adjustment and career identity. A hierarchical regression analysis was made to determine how social support from parents affected the college adjustment and career identity of the nursing students. Social support from parents had an impact on their college adjustment and career identity. The factors that affected college adjustment were academic year, satisfaction level with major and emotional support from mothers, and the factors that impacted on career identity were academic year, satisfaction level with major and informative support from fathers. In order to facilitate the college adjustment of nursing students, professors should try to develop efficient learning methods, meet with parents to inform them of the necessity of social support, share information on the major field of study and learning methods, and provide an opportunity for students to communicate with graduates or students who are years ahead of them in college so that they could have a better understanding of majoring in nursing.
Career acceptance;Nursing student;Parental social support
- Dayton,C.W.,The young person's job search: Insights from a study. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 28(4): p. 321.1981. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-0126.96.36.1991
- Drier, H.N., Career information for youth in transition: The need, systems, and models. Vocational Guidance Quarterly, 29(2): p. 135-143. 1980. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/j.2164-585X.1980.tb01032.x https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2164-585X.1980.tb01032.x
- S.K. lee, Korean college students vocation identity:The differences according to demographic and career-related variables. The Journal of Career Education Research, 19(1): p. 141-154. 2006.
- J.J. Suk, J.M. Jo, and Y.I. Young, Relations between Satisfaction in Major, Career Decision-making Self-efficacy and Career Identity of Nursing Students journal of Korean Academic Soceity of Nursing Education, 20(1): p. 27-36. 2014. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.1.27
- S.J. Whang, The relationship between clinical stress, self-efficacy, and self-esteem of nursing college students. J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Educ, 12(2): p. 205-213. 2006.
- N.Y. Yang, S.Y. Moon, The Impact of Health Status, Health Promoting Behaviors, and Social Problem Ability on College Adjustment among Nursing Students Journal of Korea Educational Research Association, 19(1): p. 33-42. 2013.
- Clement, M., et al., Health behaviors of nursing students: A longitudinal study. The Journal of nursing education, 41(6): p. 257-265. 2002.
- Ju, S.Y., C.E. Young, and S.Y. A, The Relationship between Stress and Depression in Nursing College Students. Journal of The Korean Society of Stress Medicine, 18(4): p. 345-351. 2010.
- K.S. Han, G.M. Kim, Comparison to self esteem, family adaptation, health promoting behaviors, and symptoms of stress between nursing and other major university women student. Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 16(1): p. 78-84. 2007.
- I.S. Park, R. Kim, and M.H. Park, A Study of Factors Influencing Health Promoting Behaviors in Nursing Students The Journal of Korean academic society of nursing education, 13(2): p. 203-211. 2007.
- Cho, H. and G.Y. Lee, Self Esteem and Career Identity of Nursing Students Journal of Korean Society of public Health Nursing, 20(2): p. 163-173. 2006.
- H.S. Park, Y.J. Bae, and S.Y. Jung, A Study on Self-esteem, Self-efficacy, Coping Methods, and the Academic and Job-seeking Stress of Nursing Students Journal of The Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 11(4): p. 621-631. 2002.
- S.G. Park, Y.H. Lee, A study on family variables and personal variables affecting the career decision level of korean university students. The Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy, 14(1): p. 141-160. 2002.
- Whiston, S.C. and B.K. Keller, The influences of the family of origin on career development a review and analysis. The Counseling Psychologist, 32(4): p. 493-568. 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0011000004265660 https://doi.org/10.1177/0011000004265660
- Y.H. Park, The Study on the Relationship among Family Cohesion Self-differentiaion and Clooege Adhustment, in Dept. of Educational Psychology. Graduate School of Seoul Women's University: Seoul. 2001.
- J.H. Kim, The Influence of University Students' Social Support and Mental Health on Their School Life Adaptation, in Department of Counseling Psychology Education. Graduate School of Paichai University: Daejeon. p. 55. 2012.
- J.U. Kim, J.H. Kim, Relationships Among Parental Attachment, Social Support and Adjustment to College Life. Journal of the Korea Contents Society, 13(9): p. 248-259. 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.09.248
- M.J. Oh, The effect of college student's career identity and meaning in life on adjustment to college, in Department of Counseling Education. Sookmyung Women's University: Seoul. 2014.
- Yun, Y.G., A Study on Affecting Factors of University Freshmen's Ego-identity and College Adjustment, in Department of Social Welfare, Mokwon University: Daejeon. 2001.
- K.N. Kwon, E.H. Choi, Factors affecting career identity of nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy of Public Health Nursing, 24(1): p. 19-28. 2010.
- Y.K. Kwag, Effect of Self-Esteem, Ego-Resilience, Social Support on Nursing student's Adjustment to College. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 14(5): p. 2178-2186. 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.5.2178 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.5.2178
- Faul, F., et al., G* Power 3: A flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and biomedical sciences. Behavior research methods, 39(2): p. 175-191. 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146 https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146
- J.W. Park, A Study to Development a Scale of Social Support, The Research Institute of Nursing Science, Yonsei University. 1985.
- Y.S. park, U.C. Kim, Parent-child relationships affect change on youth. korean Journal of education research, 8(2): p. 109-147. 2000.
- Baker, R.W. and B. Siryk, Student adaptation to college questionnaire (SACQ). Los Angeles, CA: Western Psychological Services, 1989.
- H.J. Won, C.J. Hoon. The Effect of Perfectionism and Evaluative Threat on the Performance of Task. in Journal of Korean Psychological Association workshop. 1992.
- Holland, J.L., et al., My vocational situation. : Consulting Psychologists Press. 1980.
- B.W. Kim, K.H. Kim, Career decision level and career preparation behavior of the college students. The korean Journal of counseling and psychotherapy, 9(1): p. 331-333. 1997.
- Kwon, Y.H. and C.N. Kim, Effects of a Ready Planned Self Growth Program through MBTI on Interpersonal Relationships and the Career Identity of Nursing College Students. Journal of Korean Community Nursing, 13(2): p. 216-229. 2002.
- Holahan, C.J. and R.H. Moos, Personality, coping, and family resources in stress resistance: A longitudinal analysis. Journal of personality and social psychology, 51(2): p. 389-395. 1986. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.529 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2069
- B.N. Park, J.S. Park, and J.R. Lee, Factors affecting adaptation to school life among nursing junior college freshmen. Journal of the Korean Society of Health Information and Health Statistics, 34(2): p. 153-164. 2009.
- H.J Chung, H.I. Chung, Effects of self-esteem, emotional intelligence and social support on college adjustment in first year nursing college students. Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 21(3): p. 188-196. 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2012.21.3.188 https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2012.21.3.188
- J.A. Park, E.K. Lee, Influence of ego resilience and stress coping styles on college adaptation in nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 17(3): p. 267-276. 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.3.267 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.3.267
- N.K. Kim, Patterns of career choice and career identity of students in nursing., in Department of Nursing. A-ju University: Seoul. 2012.
- I.Y. Cho, The Relationship of Career Identity, Major Satisfaction and College Adaptation of Nursing Freshmen. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 15(5): p. 2937-2945. 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.5.2937 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.5.2937
Supported by : 중앙대학교