- Volume 16 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
The effectiveness of a Autonomous Regulation Improvement Smoking Cessation Program on the Amount of Daily Smoking, Perceived Motivation, Cotinine in Saliva, and Autonomous Regulation for Girls High School Students who Smoked
자율성 증진 금연 프로그램이 흡연 여고생의 일일 흡연량, 타액 코티닌, 지각된 동기 및 자율성에 미치는 효과
- Received : 2015.06.23
- Accepted : 2015.09.11
- Published : 2015.09.30
This study examined the effectiveness of a autonomous regulation improvement smoking cessation program in girls high school students. The study was carried out with a nonequivalent control group pretest-posttest design. The subjects of the present study were 47 girls high school students in G and K city. The subjects were divided into an experimental group (n=23) who participated in the autonomous regulation improvement smoking cessation program, and a control group (n=24) who did not participate. Data were collected from 1 April 2013 through 26 April 2013. Collected data were analyzed using SPSS PC+ 18.0 with the Chi-square test, Fisher' exact test, Mann-Whitney U test, t-test. The experimental group had significantly different in cigarettes smoked per day(p=.044), cotinine in saliva(p=.048), perceived motivation(p=.001) and autonomous regulation(p=.027) in comparison to the control group. The autonomous regulation improvement smoking cessation program, when delivered to girls high school students who smoked, was effective in discouraging the smoking habit, and can be utilized as an effective nursing intervention for girls high school students who smoke.
Female;Motivation;Smoking cessation;Students;Personal autonomy
- I. K. Jo, "Women's health issues from the 4th Korean national health and nutrition examination survey (KNHANES) (2007)- Focusing on quality of life, smoking, drinking, nutrition and exercise-", The Korean Academic Society of Women's Health, Vol. 10, pp. 115-152, 2009.
- Ministry of Education, Ministry of Health and Welfare, Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The 10th Korea youth risk behavior web-based survey. Seoul, 2014.
- Y. S. Kim, H. S. Jo, "Smoking behavior and related factors of female smokers from public health center in incheon", Journal of Korean Society for Health Education and Promotion, Vol. 25, N0. 3, pp. 125-138, 2008.
- H. W. Byeon, "Relationship between cigarette smoking and depression symptoms of high school students", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 13, N0. 10, pp. 4669-4675, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.10.4669 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.10.4669
- H. J. Jhun, H. G. Seo, D. H. Lee, M. W. Sung, Y. D. Kang, H. C. Syn, J. K. Jun, "Self-reported smoking and urinary cotinine levels among pregnant women in Korea and factors associated with smoking during pregnancy", Journal of Korean Medical Science, Vol, 25, N0. 5, pp. 752-757, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2010.25.5.752 https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2010.25.5.752
- Y. M. Huh, S. S. Han, "Comparison of neonatal health status between smoking and nonsmoking women following cesarean birth", Journal of East-West Nursing Research, Vol. 17, N0. 1, pp. 71-79, 2011.
- M. K. Seo, "Women's smoking behavior: Factors and policy options", Health-Welfare Policy Forum, Vol. 172, pp. 59-67, 2011.
- Y. S. Kim, B. R. Jeong, "An analysis of articles related to smoking and smoking cessation of korean adolescent", Journal of Korean Community Nursing, Vol. 21, N0. 1, pp. 53-62, 2010. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2010.21.1.53
- Y. J. Yi, K. J. Lee, Y. S. Kim, "Influences of demographic, smoking, and smoking cessation factors on smoking cessation success in adolescent smokers", Korea Contents Association, Vol. 11, N0. 4, pp. 303-311, 2011.
- E. Y. Choe, S. H. Jeong, "The effect of self-efficacy promotion smoking cessation program on the amount of smoking, CO, urine cotinine level and self-efficacy for adolescent smokers", Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, Vol. 14 , N0. 2, pp. 103-111, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2012.14.2.103 https://doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2012.14.2.103
- C. T. C. Okoli, I, Torchalla, M. Khara, "Sex differences in nicotine dependence among addictions clients accessing a smoking cessation programme in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada", Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. Vol. 19, N0. 9, pp. 776-784, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2850.2011.01847.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2850.2011.01847.x
- R. M. Ryan, H. Patrick, E. L. Deci, G. C. Williams, "Facilitating health behaviour change and its maintenance: Interventions based on self-determination theory", The European Health Psychologist, Vol. 10, N0. 1, pp. 2-5, 2008.
- C. S. Levesque, G. C. Williams, D. Elliot, M. A. Pickering, B. Bodenhamer, P. J. Finley, "Validating the theoretical structure of the treatment self-regulation questionnaire (TSRQ) across three different health behaviors", Health Education Research, Vol. 22, N0. 5, pp. 691-702, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/her/cyl148
- C. W. Waltz, R. B. Bausell, Nursing research: Design, statistics and computer analysis. F.A. Davis. 1981.
- Deci EL, Ryan RM. Facilitating optimal motivation and psychological well-being across life's domains. Canadian Psychology, Vol. 49, N0. 1, pp. 14-23, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0708-55220.127.116.11 https://doi.org/10.1037/0708-5518.104.22.168
- A. Hoffman, S. Field, Steps to self-determination : A Curriculum to Help Adolescents Learn to Achieve Their Goals Kit, Texas, 2005.
- Y. S. Ha, Y. H. Choi, "Effectiveness of a motivational interviewing smoking cessation program on cessation change in adolescents", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. Vol. 42, N0. 1, pp. 19-27. 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2012.42.1.19 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2012.42.1.19
- Y. H. Kim, K. Y. Kim, M. O. Kang, N. H. Kim, "A phenomenological study on smoking experience in female adolescents", Child Health Nursing Research, Vol, 16, N0. 1, pp. 10-19, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4094/jkachn.2010.16.1.10
- S. R. Shin, "A study of the relationship between adolescent's self reported cigarette smoking and urine cotinine level", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Adult Nursing, Vol. 9, N0. 3, pp. 495-504, 1997.
- G. C. Williams, H. A. McGregor, D. Sharp, C. Levesque, R. W. Kouides, R. M. Ryan, "Testing a self-determination theory intervention for motivating tobacco cessation: Supporting autonomy and competence in a clinical trial", Health Psychology, Vol. 25, N0. 1, pp. 91-101, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0278-622.214.171.124 https://doi.org/10.1037/0278-6126.96.36.199
- J. E. Choi, S. Y. You, S. H. Hong, "Self-control problems and quitting smoking", The korean of Health Economics and Policy, Vol. 14 , N0. 2, pp. 119-141. 2008.
- Y. K. Kim, I. H. Park, J. S. Park, "Meta-analysis of effects on adolescent smoking cessation programs in Korea", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 38, N0. 2, pp. 204-216, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.2.204 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.2.204