- Volume 16 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
The Relationship among Leisure constraints, Athletic Life Satisfaction and Self-control in High School Student Athletes
체육고등학교 학생 선수들의 여가제약과 운동생활 만족도 및 자기통제력의 관계
Park, Young-Chan;Park, Young-Woo;Han, Gun-Soo
- Received : 2015.08.27
- Accepted : 2015.10.08
- Published : 2015.10.31
The purpose of this study was to investigate the relationship among leisure constraints, athletic life satisfaction and self-control of student athletes at physical education high school. By using convenience sampling method of non-provability sampling, a total 217 students athletes from D and G city were selected. Of 217 copies of the questionnaire gathered, 35 were discarded owing to having excessive missing values. Thus by analysing a total of 182 surveys with structural equation modeling through SPSS 20.0 statistics program, this study found the followings. First, leisure constraints have a negative influence on athletic life satisfaction. Second, leisure constraints have a negative influence on self-control. Third, athletic life satisfaction has a positive influence on self-control.
Student athletes;Leisure constraints;Athletic life satisfaction;Self-control
- J. Neulinger, & C. D. Raps, "Leisure Attitudes of an Intellectual Elite", Journal of Leisure Research, Vol4, No3, pp. 196-207, 1972. https://doi.org/10.1080/00222216.1972.11970077
- S. E. Iso-Ahola, "The psychology of leisure and recreation. Dubuque", Iowa: Wim. C. Brown company Publishers, 1980.
- S. S. Park, "The School life adaptation in High School Athletic Students", Daegu University, Master's thesis, 2001.
- W. G. Park, & S. W. Lim, "School Adjustments of High school Athletes and Their Problems and Search for new standards for their School Life", Kyungpook National University Secondary Educational Research Institute, vol. 51, No.2, pp. 523-545, 2003.
- K. Y. Choi, "A Study on the Reasons for the Athletes of High School of Athletics to Quit Their Careers", Korean Alliance or Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance, vol. 42, No.3, pp. 317-326, 2003.
- S. J. Hwang, "The right to learn and Safeguard for Human rights of Athletic Students, What is the realistic alternatives?", Retrieved From: http;//www.ksport.co.kr/news/view.asp?idx=173. (accessed Jul. 10. 2015).
- Y. S. Lee, K. M. Lee & S. M. Lim, "The Winner-Oriented in the Culture of Physical Education High School", Korean Society for the Sociology of Sport, vol. 26, No.4, pp. 1-19, 2013.
- G. O. Kim, & J. H. Kang, "The relationship between athletic satisfaction, anomie and social deviant behavior in high school athletes", Korean Alliance or Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance, vol. 41, No.5, pp. 71-83, 2002.
- C. S. Park, & Y. K. Sin, "A Study on Degree of Athletic Satisfaction and Deviant Behavior in Gwangju and Chonnam Athletics High School Students", A collection of learned papers of The sport industry Research Institute, vol. 5, pp. 159-174, 2006.
- H. S. Kim, T. H. Ryu & J. S. Choi, "Becoming the athletic club's student into the student athlete: Case study about high school Kumdo athletes that carry out school-work and discipline side by side", Korean Association of Sport Pedagogy, vol. 16, No.1, pp. 145-157, 2009.
- D. W. Crawford, & G. Godbey, "Reconceptualizing barriers to family leisure", Leisure Science, vol. 9, pp. 119-127, 1987. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01490408709512151 https://doi.org/10.1080/01490408709512151
- D. W. Crawford, E. L. Jackson, & G. A. Godbey, "hierarchical model of leisure constraints", Leisure Science, vol. 13, No.4, pp. 309-320, 1991. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01490409109513147 https://doi.org/10.1080/01490409109513147
- E. L. Jackson, D. W. Crawford, & G. Godbey, "Negotiation of leisure constraints". Leisure Science, vol. 15, pp. 1-11, 1993. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01490409309513182 https://doi.org/10.1080/01490409309513182
- L. K. George, "The Happiness syndrome", The Gerontologist, vol. 19, No.2, pp. 210-211, 1979. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/geront/19.2.210 https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/19.2.210
- B. L. Neugarten, J. Havighurs, & S. S. Tobin, "The Measurement of Life Satisfaction", Journal of Gerontology, vol. 16, No.2, p.141, 1961. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/geronj/16.2.134 https://doi.org/10.1093/geronj/16.2.134
- K. C. Lee, "The Effect of Athletes' Organizational Culture and Leadership Type and Team Effectiveness on Sports Performance", Dong-A University, Doctoral thesis, 1998.
- R, F. Baumeister, T. F. Heatherton, & D. M. Tice, "Losing control: How and why people fail at self-regulation", San Diego, CA: Academic Press, 1994.
- F. Rothbaum, J. R. Weisz, & S. S. Snyder, "Changing the world and changing the self: A two process model of perceived control", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, vol. 42, pp. 5-37, 1982. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.199 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.52
- F. H. Kansfer, "The many faces of self-control or behavior modification changes its focus, in P. B. Stuart(Ed.), Behavior self-management", NY: Brunner/Mazel, pp. 1-48, 1977.
- Y. S. Hong, & D. K. Kim, "Structural relation of juvenile stress, self-esteem, self-control and cyber delinquency: Testing a sex difference", Korea Youth Research Association, vol. 18, No.1, pp. 127-148.
- M. Muraven, H. Rosman, & M. Gagne, "Lack of autonomy and self-control : Performance contingent rewards lead to greater depletion", Motivation and Emotion, vol. 31, pp. 322-330, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11031-007-9073-x https://doi.org/10.1007/s11031-007-9073-x
- Y. K. Jung, "An Exploratory Factor Analysis on Perceived Leisure Constraints of Students in High School of Physical Education", A collection of University of Foreign Studies treatises, vol. 25, No.2, pp. 1061-1077, 2002.
- G. O. Kim, "The relationship of athletic satisfaction, anomie and deviant behavior in high school athletes", Kyungsung university, Master's thesis, 2001.
- W. Y. Song, "Effects of Self-efficacy and Self-control on the Addictive Use of Internet", Yonsei University, Master's thesis, 1998.
- J. J. Song, "SPSS/AMOS statistics analysis method", Seoul: 21century publisher.
- T. H. Kim, "A Study on life and athletic satisfaction of physical education highschool Judo athletes", Korean Alliance of Martial Arts, vol. 4, No.2, pp. 205-220, 2002.
- C. M. Ku, "A study of the influence of sport environment on juvenile delinquency", Seoul National University, Doctoral thesis, 1991.
- I. N. Hwang, "The study on causual relationships between perceived leisure constraints, self-Identities and participation in leisure sports", Korea university, Master's thesis, 2000.
- K. C. Sung, & C. S. Lee, "An Analysis of Preference and Avoidance Factor of Entering Physical Education Schools", Journal of Korean Society for the Study of Physical Education, 11(1), pp. 55-71, 2006.
- S. K. Oh, E. J. Song & S. W. Lim, "Causes of Stress in the Training Camp for the Athletes of Physical Education High School", Journal of Sport and Leisure Studies, vol. 31, pp. 525-534, 2007.
- Y. H. So, "The Influences of Exercise Stress on Mental Health in Physical Education High School Athletes", Korean Society of Sport Psychology, 20(2), pp. 47-62, 2009.
- J. Daughtrey, "Effective Teaching in Physical education for second and School", Philadelphia, W.B. Saunder Co, 1973.
- J. Rotter, "Generalized expectancies for internal versus external control of reinforcement", Psychological Monographs, vol. 80, pp. 1-28, 1966. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/h0092976 https://doi.org/10.1037/h0092976
- A. Bandura, "Self-efficacy: The exercise of control", New york: Freeman, 1997.
- D. Schunk, "Self-efficacy and academic motivation", Educational Psychologist, vol. 26, pp. 207-232, 1991. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00461520.1991.9653133 https://doi.org/10.1080/00461520.1991.9653133
- B. J. Zimmerman, "Achieving academic excellence: The role of perceived efficacy and self-regulatory skill. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American", San Diego: Educational Research Association, 1998.
- F. Pajares, & M. D. Miller, "The goal of self-efficacy and self-concept beliefs in mathematical problem solving : A path analysis", Journal of Educational Psychology, vol. 86, pp. 193-203, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-06184.108.40.206
- B. J. Zimmerman, & D. Schunk, "Self-regulated learning and academic achievement: Theoretical perspectives (2nd ed.)", Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum, 2001.
- R. F. Baumeister, B. J. Schmeichel, & K. D. Vohs, "Self-regulation and executive function: The Self as controlling agent. In A. W. Kruglanski & E. T. Higgins (Eds), Social Psychology; Handbook of basic Principle (2nd ed, pp. 516-539)", New York: Guilford Press, 2007.
- M. Muraven, D. M. Tice, & R. F. Baumeister, "Self-control as a limited resource: Regulatory depletion patterns", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, vol. 74, pp. 774-789, 1998. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.114 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1684
- K. D. Vohs, & T. F. Heatherton, "Self-regulatory failure; A resource-depletion approach", Psychological Science, vol. 11, pp. 249-254, 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/1467-9280.00250 https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-9280.00250
- D. H. Baucom, & P. A. Aiken, "Effect of dressed mood on eating among obese and nonobese dieting persons", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, vol. 41, pp. 577-585, 1981. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1247 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1997
- A. Knapp, & M. S. Clark, "Some detrimental effects of negative mood on indivuduals ability to solve resource dilemmas", Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, vol. 17, pp. 678-688, 1991. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0146167291176011 https://doi.org/10.1177/0146167291176011
- N. M. Lee, & K. M. Lee, "The Relationship of Time Management Behavior, Self-management and Sporting Life Satisfaction of Physical Education Majoring Students", Korean Society for the Sociology of Sport, vol. 22, No.3, pp. 19-38, 2009.
- H. S. Hong & D. K. Kim, "Relationships among KLPGA Players' Self-Management on Immersion in Games and Satisfaction with Games", The Korean Society of Sports Science, vol. 18, No.3, pp. 537-554, 2009.
- M. H. Yang, M. J. Park, & H. J. Kim, "The Effects of Congruence, Score Elevation & Types of Interest on College Students' Career Maturity and Satisfaction with Major", Korean Society for The Study of Vocational Education, vol. 29, No.2, pp. 137-156, 2010.
- M. Zeidner, M. Boekaerts, & P. R. Pintrich, " Self-regulation: Directions and challenges for future research. In M. Boekaerts, P. R. & M. Zeidner(Eds.), The Handbook of Self-regulation(749-768)", San Diego, CA: Academic Press, 2000.