- Volume 16 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
A study on the needs for the cool motorcycle helmet and the factors affecting the purchasing intention
오토바이용 쿨 헬멧의 필요성과 구매요인에 관한 조사연구
Seong, Deokhyun;Kim, Jongsoo
- Received : 2015.08.21
- Accepted : 2015.12.04
- Published : 2015.12.31
This study is to investigate the needs for the cool motorcycle helmet and the factors affecting the purchasing intention of cool helmet. The convenient sampling from motorcycle clubs were conducted during 5/20/2014~5/28/2014 on Google DAX. As a result, 197 participants were surveyed. The main reasons of sensing unpleasant feeling wearing helmet were identified as 'hot and uncomfortable feeling' and 'it ruins hair style'. The mean score expressed in terms of five point scale showed that the needs for cool helmet was 3.9 and the purchasing intention of cool helmet was 3.6, respectively. The significant factors influencing the purchasing intention of cool helmet were identified as 'the needs for cool helmet' (odds ratio=6.52) and 'extra paying intention for cool helmet' (odds ratio=1.77). The main reasons of sensing unpleasant feeling wearing helmet were similar to the previous research. However, we can expect that the initial target market for cool helmet would be the low end (less than \40,000 of extra paying intention) or the high end (more than \100,000 of extra paying intention). The main contribution of this study is dealing with the topics related to the purchasing intention of the cool helmet.
Cool helmet;Logistic regression;Motorcycle helmet;Needs for cool helmet;Purchasing intention of cool helmet
- Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport, Current Status of Vehicle Registration, http://www.index.go.kr/potal/main/EachDtlPageDetail.do?idx_cd=1257
- Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport, Traffic Culture Index 2014, 2015.1.21.
- F.A.O. Fernandes, R.J. Alves de Sousa, "Motorcycle helmets: A state of the art review", Accident Analysis and Prevention 56, pp. 1-21, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2013.03.011 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2013.03.011
- C. Fuentes, M. Eugenia Gras, S. Font-Mayolas, C. Bertran, M.J.M. Sullman, D. Ballester, "Expectations of efficacy, social influence and age as predictors of helmet-use in a sample of Spanish adolescents", Transportation Research Part F 13, pp. 289-296, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.trf.2010.06.007 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trf.2010.06.007
- F. Zamani-Alavijeh, M. Bazargan, A. Shafiei, S. Bazargan-Hejazi, "The frequency and predictors of helmet use among Iranian motorcyclists: A quantitative and qualitative study", Accident Analysis and Prevention 43, pp. 1562-1569, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2011.03.016 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2011.03.016
- C. Orsi, A. Stendardo, A. Marinoni, M.D. Gilchrist, D. Otte, J. Chliaoutakis, T. Lajunen, T. Ozkan, J. Dias Pereira, G. Tzamalouka, A. Morandi, "Motorcycle riders' perception of helmet use: Complaints and dissatisfaction", Accident Analysis and Prevention 44, pp. 111-117, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2010.12.029 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2010.12.029
- M. Papadakaki, G. Tzamalouka, C. Orsi, A. Kritikos, A. Morandi, C. Gnardellis, J. Chliaoutakis, "Barriers and facilitators of helmet use in a Greek sample of motorcycle riders: Which evidence?", Transportation Research Part F 18, pp. 189-198, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.trf.2013.01.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trf.2013.01.002
- D.V. Hung, M.R. Stevenson, R.Q. Ivers, "Barriers to, and factors associated, with observed motorcycle helmet use in Vietnam", Accident Analysis and Prevention 40, pp. 1627-1633, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2008.05.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2008.05.002
- I. Khan, A. Khan, F. Aziz, M. Islam, S. Shahfqat, "Factors associated with helmet use among motorcycle users in Karachi, Pakistan", ACAD Emerg Med 15(4), pp. 384-387, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1553-2712.2008.00049.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1553-2712.2008.00049.x
- Y.L. Hsu, C.Y. Tai, T.C. Chen, "Improving thermal properties of industrial safety helmets", International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics 26, pp. 109-117, 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0169-8141(99)00058-X https://doi.org/10.1016/S0169-8141(99)00058-X
- C.P. Bogerd, P.A. Bruhwiler, "Heat loss variations of full-face motorcycle helmets", Applied Ergonomics 40, pp. 161-164, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apergo.2008.03.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apergo.2008.03.001
- P.J. Wickwire, P.A. Bishop, J.M. Green, M.T. Richardson, R.G. Lomax, C. Casaru, and M. Curtner-Smith, "Physiological and Comfort Effects of a Commercial Cooling Cap Worn Under Protective Helmets", Journal of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene 6, pp. 455-459, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/15459620902959377 https://doi.org/10.1080/15459620902959377
- J.H. Kim, H.J. Choi, "A study on ventilation holes near the crown of industrial safety helmets", J of the KOSOS 27(5), pp. 196-202, 2012.
- J.W. Choi, J.H. Park, "Physiological response of wearing safety helmet with comfort pack in hot environment", J of Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles 31(6), pp. 955-965, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2007.31.6.955 https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2007.31.6.955
- J.H. Park and J.W. Choi, "Development and evaluation of the frozen gelled pack for alleviating heat stress of safety helmet wearer in Summer", J Korean Soc Living Environ Sys. 17(2), pp. 224-234, 2010.
- F.L. Tan, S.C. Fok, "Cooling of helmet with phase change material", Applied Thermal Engineering 26, pp. 2067-2072, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2006.04.022 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2006.04.022
- M. Hrairi, A.F. Abdullah, M.I. Ahmed, "Cooling of motorcyclist helmet with thermoelectric module", Middle-east J of Scientific Research 13, 103-108, 2013.
- United States Patent(4,483,021), Thermo-electric cooled head gear, 1984.11.20.
- United States Patent(US 8,127,375), Low profile helmet vents and venting system, 2012.3.6.
Supported by : 부경대학교