- Volume 16 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Effect of Leadership Style of CEO on Self-leadership and Organizational Effectiveness
상사의 리더십 유형이 셀프리더십과 조직유효성에 미치는 영향
Kim, Joon-Ho;Heo, Jeong-Ho;Jang, Hyuk-Soo;Park, Bum-Ki;Shin, Hyo-Jin
- Received : 2015.08.28
- Accepted : 2015.12.04
- Published : 2015.12.31
This research recognizes the importance of the study on leadership for the management of enterprises. Among the financial institutes, the employees at the banks were targeted in this study to empirically analyze the effects of superiors' leadership (transformational leadership, transactional leadership, and servant leadership) on the subordinates' self-leadership and organizational effectiveness (organizational commitment and organizational citizenship behavior). In particular, this study analyzed the influencing relationship between the superior's leadership style and the subordinates' self-leadership, to identify the leadership style most suitable for enhancing the subordinates' self-leadership and to further determine if it can lead to the enhancement of organizational commitment and organizational citizenship behavior. The employees at approximately 50 branches of domestic large corporate banks located in Seoul and Gyeonggi area were targeted, and the survey was conducted in the form of self-response questionnaire. The statistical analysis was conducted on a total of 338 valid data by using structural equation modeling analysis. The result of the analysis was as follows. The transformational and servant leadership of the superior had a positive effect on the self-leadership of the subordinate, and transactional leadership did not show a significant effect. Furthermore, self-leadership was shown to have a positive effect on organizational commitment and organizational citizenship behavior.
Superiors' Leadership;Transformational Leadership;Transactional Leadership;Servant Leadership;Subordinates' Self-leadership;Organizational Effectiveness
- D. M. Yang and D. S. Shim, "The effects of transformational leadership on in-role behavior, OCB and innovative behavior: The mediating effects of personal identification and social identification", Korean Management Review, 42(1), pp.121-152, 2013.
- J. H. Jeon and K. I. Han, "Impact of supervisor's leadership styles on organizational citizenship behavior: Mediation effects of multi-dimensional measure of justice in the service industry", Journal of Digital Convergence, 13(3), pp.75-84, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.3.75
- H. G. Kwon, "The effects of transformation leadership and transactional leadership on organizational performance: Moderating roles of self-efficacy and job satisfaction", Management & Information Systems Review, 31(2), pp.1-20, 2012.
- Y. K. Jeong, H. R. Moon and K. H. Seok, "Study on the influences of transactional leadership in five-star hotel on employee's organizational effectiveness and management performance", Korean Journal of Tourism Research, 27(5), pp.501-520, 2012.
- T. S. Rhee, H. Jin and D. R. Lee, "A study on the effect of servant leadership on organizational effectiveness: The mediating role of leader trust and the moderating role of collectivism", Journal of Business Research, 30(1), pp.197-230, 2015.
- D. I. Jung, and B. J. Avolio, "Opening the black box: An experimental investigation of the mediating effects of trust and value congruence on transformational and transactional leadership", Journal of Organizational Behavior, 21(8), pp.949-964, 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/1099-1379(200012)21:8% 3C949::AID-JOB64%3E3.3.CO;2-6 https://doi.org/10.1002/1099-1379(200012)21:8<949::AID-JOB64>3.0.CO;2-F
- T. S. Bateman and D. W. Organ, "Job satisfaction and the good soldier: The relationship between affect and employee 'citizenship'", Academy of Management Journal, 26(4), pp.587-595, 1983. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/255908 https://doi.org/10.2307/255908
- B. Shibru and G. M. Darshan, "Effects of transformational leadership on subordinate job satisfaction in leather companies in Ethiopia", International Journal of Business Management & Economic Research, 3(5), pp.284-296, 2011.
- J. W. Kim, S. H. Chae and S. H. Bae, "A study on the influence of transformational leadership and trust on organizational commitment: Focusing on the moderating effect of trust", Journal of Organization and Management, 29(4), pp.93-122, 2005.
- M. J. Kim and S. I. Chang, "Effect of transformational & transactional leadership on organizational commitment: Mediating effect of job satisfaction", Journal of Human Resource Management Research, 22(1), pp.25-43, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14396/jhrmr.2015.22.1.25 https://doi.org/10.14396/jhrmr.2015.22.1.25
- H. K. Hwang and S. K. Choi, "The effects of transformational leadership on organizational effectiveness: The mediation of group identification and trust", Journal of Human Resource Management Research, 22(2), pp.171-192, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14396/jhrmr.2015.22.2.171 https://doi.org/10.14396/jhrmr.2015.22.2.171
- K. H. Chung and Y. S. Hyun, "The impact of leader's learning-support leadership on the subordinator's organizational commitment", The Journal of Training and Development, 14, pp.51-65, 2007.
- Y. S. Kim, H. S. Lee and H. Y. Shin, "The relationship between transformational leadership of NGO leaders and organization effectiveness: Focused on the mediated effects of organization trust", Korean Public Management Review, 26(2), pp.1-31, 2012.
- E. G. Ma and M. O. Oh, "A study on the mediating effect of self-leadership in the relationship between the transformational leadership and the satisfaction of volunteering activities", The Korean Journal of Local Government Studies, 18(1), pp.147-168, 2014.
- J. K. Lee and J. H. Park, "The role of trust and value congruence as a mediator between superior's transformational, transactional leadership and outcomes", Korean Management Review, 32(4), pp.925-954, 2003.
- D. R. Lee, D. W. Suh and Y. S. Kim, "A study on the effect of transformational.transactional leadership on organizational citizenship behavior: Focusing th mediating variables of trust", Korean Management Review, 32(2), pp.449-474, 2003.
- J. H. Kim, "The effects of transformational/Transactional leadership on teamwork, organizational cynicism and organizational citizenship behavior", Korean Journal of Management, 16(4), pp.1-40, 2008.
- J. K. Lee and D. H. Kim, "A study of the relationship between leadership style and organizational effectiveness: Interaction effects of charismatic and transactional leadership", Korean Journal of Business Administration, 21(4), pp.1495-1521, 2008.
- S. K. Lee, D. J. Lee, E. Y. Jang, D. K. Choi and K. H. Son, "A study on the relationships between self-leadership and organizational citizenship behavior according to styles of leadership", Journal of Digital Convergence, 8(4), pp.123-136, 2010.
- H. S. Koh, "The effects of the supervisor's leadership and individual self-leadership on the organizational commitment and organizational citizenship behavior", Korean Business Education Review, 26(5), pp.347-377, 2011.
- S. S. Son and J. K. Tak, "The effect of servant leadership on employee behaviors: mediating effects of supervisory trust and organizational trust", The Korean Journal of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 25(2), pp.373-395, 2012. https://doi.org/10.24230/ksiop.25.2.201205.373
- R. K. Jang, Y. J. Lee, S. K. Park and H. J. Park, "Effects on servant leadership of buffet restaurants' managers on organizational effectiveness", Journal of Tourism Sciences, 37(1), pp.325-344, 2013.
- M. S. Yi, S. H. Shin and Y. C. Chang, "The influence of servant leadership on organizational effectiveness: The roles of leader trust and emotional intelligence", Korean Journal of Business Administration, 25(2), pp.907-929, 2012.
- J. E. Barbuto and D. W. Wheeler, "Scale development and construct clarification of servant leadership", Group & Organization Management, 31(3), pp.300-326, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1059601106287091 https://doi.org/10.1177/1059601106287091
- D. H. Kim and S. H. Jung, "Literature review on servant leadership", Industrial Management Research, 29(4), pp.127-148, 2006.
- K. S. Kim, S. S. Ki, H. J. Noe, I. S. Kim and D. M. Yang, "The effects of superleadership on followers' self-leadership and performance: A test of mediating and moderating effects", Korean Journal of Management, 19(3), pp.31-65, 2011.
- J. H. Oh and P. R. Yook, "The relationship between casino employees' self-leadership and organizational efficiency: Developing a structural model applied by multi-sample SEM", Korea Academic Society of Hotel Administration, 19(3), pp.61-84, 2010.
- Y. H. Lee and G. S. Yang, "A study on the intermediating effect of LMX(leader-member exchange) in the influencing relation between hotel employees's self leadership and organization effectiveness", International Journal of Tourism and Hospitality Research, 26(6), pp.525-539, 2012.
- B. M. Bass and B. J. Avolio, "Multifactor Leadership Questionnaire: Short form 6s binghamton", NY: Center for Leadership Studies, 1992.
- D. W. Koo, K. I. Jung and Y. S. Eu, "The antecedents of team cohesiveness in hotel team organizations: A study on servant leadership, leader trust, and team trust", Journal of Tourism Sciences, 36(8), pp.71-97, 2012.
- C. P. Neck and J. D. Houghton, "Two decades of self-leadership theory and research: Past developments, present trends, and future possibilities", Journal of Managerial Psychology, 21(4), pp.270-295, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/02683940610663097 https://doi.org/10.1108/02683940610663097
- S. J. Chang and Y. K. Chong, "The effect of self leadership and leader-member exchange(LMX) quality on psychological empowerment and organizational citizenship behavior: Focused on employees with 10years or more experience in hotels", Korea Academic Society of Hotel Administration, 22(6), pp.213-231, 2013.
- J. P. Meyer, N. J. Allen and C. A. Smith, "Commitment to organizations and occupations: Extension and test of a three-component conceptualization", Journal of Applied Psychology, 78(4), 538-551, 1993. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.78.4.538 https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.78.4.538
- Y. W. Kim and D. J. Kim, "The effects of organizational citizenship behavior on burnout and organizational commitment", Korean Management Review, 41(4), 693-722, 2012.
- D. W. Organ, "Organizational citizenship behavior: The good soldier syndrome", Lexington Books/DC Heath and Com, 1988.
- J. H. Kil and K. Y. Kwahk, "The determinants of ERP system usage performance: A role of organizational citizenship behavior and absorptive capacity", Korean Management Review, 39(2), pp.409-436, 2010.
- Speaking to the Self: How Motivating Language Links With Self-Leadership pp.2329-4892, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1177/2329488417731861