- Volume 16 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
An Intergrative Review on Korean Nursing Studies Related to Problematic drinker's children
문제음주자 자녀에 관한 국내 간호연구의 통합적 고찰
Lee, Eun-Young;Lee, Jeong-Seop
- Received : 2015.11.12
- Accepted : 2015.12.04
- Published : 2015.12.31
This study was conducted to figure out characteristics of the children of problematic drinkers by reviewing the studies on those children reported in nursing studies in Korea and incorporating the results. The research method was integrated literature review, and for the study, eleven articles were selected by searching with key words such as 'problematic drinking', 'alcoholic', 'alcohol dependence', 'children', and 'nursing' in three research databases, spanning between 2000 and 2014. The research results are as follows: For the domestic nursing studies on the children of problematic drinkers, there were many descriptive research using survey method, requiring introduction of various research methods in order to know characteristics and lives of the children of problematic drinkers in depth. For main characteristics of the children of problematic drinkers, they have lower ability to cope with, many of them suffer from psychological and mental health problems, are very sensitive in interpersonal relationships with higher hostility. In addition, it is reported that the children of problematic drinkers are likely to have more problematic drinking, show higher depression and lower emotional perception and expression, social support, and social competence. Based on the results of this study, considering the fact that there are extremely few studies on the children of problematic drinkers, it requires more active studies and researches in nursing. Through the study with accurate results, it will contribute to nurses' capability in both clinical settings and local community as a guideline.
Children;Intergrative review;Nursing;Problematic drinking
- "2013 National Health Statistics: National Health Nutrition Survey 5th year Two", The Ministry of Health-Welfare, Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2014.
- W. J Jeong, S. M. Lee, J. Y. Kim, S. J. Im, H. Y. Joo, "Socioeconomic Costs of Alcohol Drinking among Adolescents". Seoul National Hospital: National Center of Mental Health Education Research, Vol.2008, No.11, 2008.
- WHO. Global Status Report: Alcohol Policy. World Health Organization. Geneva: Switzerland. 2004
- H. J. Jeon, "Estimates of social and economic costs of alcohol drinking". Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul, 2003.
- Green, C. A. & Polen, M. R., "The health and health behaviors of people who do and do not drink alcohol". American journal of Preventive Medicine, Vol.21, 298-305, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0749-3797(01)00365-8 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0749-3797(01)00365-8
- H. K. Lee, S. W. No, "The relation of alcohol drinking behavior, depression mood, and suicidal ideation among korean adults". Journal of Korean Alcohol Science, Vol.12, No.1, 2011.
- B. H. Lee, "The association between drinking behavior and mental health in an urban community". Journal of Korean Alcohol Science, Vol.10, No.2, 2009.
- H. S. Park, "Relationship between children's roles and characteristics of adult children from alcoholic families". Korean Journal of Social Welfare Studies, Vol.22, pp.57-80, 2003.
- Y. S. Choi, "A study on affection of children of alcoholics on their adjustment to society & their character". Kprean Journal of clinical social work, Vol.6, No.2, 2009
- Anda, R. F., Croft, J. B., Felitti, V. J., Nordenberg, D., Giles, W. H., Williamson, D. F., "Adverse childhood experiences and smoking during adolescence and adulthood". Journal of the American Medical Association, Vol.282, pp.1652-1658, 1999 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1001/jama.282.17.1652 https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.282.17.1652
- Kelly, M. L., Braitman, A., Henson, J. M., Schroeder, V., Ladage, J., & Gumienny, L., "Relationships among depressive mood symptoms and parent and peer attachment in adult children of alcoholics". Journal of Orthopsychiatry, Vol.80, No.2, pp. 204-212, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1939-0025.2010.01024.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1939-0025.2010.01024.x
- Y. K. Sohn, K. J. Oh, "Psychological characteristics of adolescent children of problem drinkers". Korean Journal Child & Adol Psychiatry, Vol.5, No.1, pp.172-183, 1994.
- Whittemore, R., & Knafl, K. "The integrative review: Updated methodology". Journal of Advanced Nursing, Vol.52, No.5, pp.546-551, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2005.03621.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2005.03621.x
- M. A. Kim, "The life of adolescents of alcoholic father". Journal of Korean Acad Psych Ment Health Nurs Vol.12, No.2, pp.124-135, 2003.
- H. H. Lee, "Resilience of adolescents according to the problem-drinking in parents". Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul, 2003.
- J. S. Lee., S. J. Kim.. Y. R. Kweon, B. S. Chai, S. B. Jeong, "The effect of the Middle-school drinking prevention program for children of alcoholics". Journal of Korean Acad Psych mental health Nurs, Vol.13, No.2, pp.200-212, 2004.
- H. J. Pai, "The mental health of the middle school students with alcoholics and non alcoholics's family". Journal of Korean Acad Psych mental health Nurs, Vol.14, No.3, 2005.
- S. H. Yang, "The effect of stress management program on depression, anxiety and self-esteem for the children of alcoholics". Journal of Korean Acad Psych mental health Nurs, Vol.14. No.2, 2005.
- M. S. Hyun, K. A. Nam, "The development of competency focused cognitive behavioral program for the adolescents with drinking problem parents", Journal of Korean Acad Psych mental health Nurs, Vol.15, No.4, 2006.
- M. S. Hyun, K. A. Nam, M. A. Kim, "A Study on Parents' Drinking Behaviors and the Mental Health of Their Adolescent Offsprings". Journal of Korean Acad Psych mental health Nurs, Vol.17, No.4, 2008.
- H. K. Kim, M. H. Lee, "Factors influencing resilience of adult children of alcoholics among College students" Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol.41, No5, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.5.642 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.5.642
- E. Y. Lee, "The effect of parental alcohol problem on their children's depression and school achievement", Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University. 2011.
- E. S. Lee, E. J. Bong, "Impact of parents' problematic drinking on the problematic drinking of their collegiate children", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. Vol.20, No.3, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.3.392
- J. A. Lee, Y. R. Kweon, "Factors affecting social competence in school-aged children according to alcohol consumption by parents". Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol.44, No.5, 2014 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2014.44.5.495 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2014.44.5.495
- M. A. Kim, "The lived experience of children of alcohol dependent father". Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Yonsei University, Seoul, 2002.
- E. J. Min, C. H. Hong, M. Y. Lee, "A study on affection of children of the father problem drinking". The Korean journal of clinical psychology Vol.20, No.1, pp.121-132, 2001.
- J. Y. Park, "Group counseling case study for alcoholic's children". Unpublished master's thesis, Department of social welfare Ewha Women's University, 1999.
- K. S. Baek, "A study on ego-identity experienced by children of alcoholic family". Unpublished master's thesis, Department of social welfare Kyungsung University, 2000.
- Y. K. Sohn, "Characteristics of children with problem drinking parents". Unpublished master's thesis, Department of graduated school of education, 1993.
- E. J. Lee, "A study on the psychosocial problem of adult children of parent with drinking-problem. Unpublished master's thesis, Department of social welfare Soongsil University, 1998.
- S. M. Jang, "The study on the development of intervention model for improving family resilience in the alcoholic family". Mental health & Social Work, Vol.11, pp.53-77, 2001.
- S. H. Choi, "A study on the development of the groupwork program for the children of alcoholcs". Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul University, 1997
- Barteck, J. K., Linderman, M., & Hawks, J. H., "Clinical validation of characteristics of the alcoholic family". Nursing Diagnosis, Vol.10, No.4, pp.158-168, 1999 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-618X.1999.tb00047.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-618X.1999.tb00047.x
- Emshoff, J. G., & Price, A. W., "Prevention and intervention strategies with children of alcoholics". Pediatrics, Vol.5, No.2, pp.1112-1121, 1999.
- Harter S. L., "Psychosocial adjustment of adult children of alcoholics: A review of the recent empirical literature". Clinical Psychology Review, Vol.20, No.3, pp.311-337, 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0272-7358(98)00084-1 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0272-7358(98)00084-1
- Hill, E. M., Ross, L. T., Mudd, S. A., & Blow, F. C.,."Adulthood functioning: The joint effects of parental alcoholism, gender and childhood socio-economic stress". Addiction, Vol.92, No.5, pp.583-596, 1997. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1360-0443.1997.tb02915.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1360-0443.1997.tb02915.x
- Jones, D. C., & Houts, R., "Parental drinking, parent-child communication, and social skills in young adults". Journal of Studies Alcohol, Vol.53, No.1, pp.48-56, 1990. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15288/jsa.1992.53.48 https://doi.org/10.15288/jsa.1992.53.48
- Sergin, C., & Menees, M. M., "The impact of coping styles and family communication on the skills of children of alcoholics". Journal of Studies on Alcohol, Vol.57, No.1, pp.29-33, 1996. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15288/jsa.1996.57.29 https://doi.org/10.15288/jsa.1996.57.29
- J. H. Kim, "The college adjustment of adult children of alcoholics: Focused on moderating effect of protective factors". Journal of Social Work Practice, Vol.7, pp.131-157, 2008.
- H. W. Lee, "Resilience of adolescents according to the problem-drinking in parents". Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul. 2003.
- Walsh, F., "Strengthening family resilience (2nd ed.)". New York: The Guilford Press. 2006