- Volume 16 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Personal types, Ego-resilience, and College Adaptation in Nursing and Health Care related Students
간호·보건계열 대학생의 성격유형, 자아탄력성 및 대학생활적응
- Received : 2015.11.12
- Accepted : 2015.12.04
- Published : 2015.12.31
The aim of this study was to describe Enneagram personality types, ego-resilience and to investigate the effects of ego-resilience on college adaptation in nursing and health care related students. The subjects were 623 students in 1st and 2nd grade. The data were collected from October 7 to 23, 2014 and analyzed using t-test, ANOVA, Scheffe's test, Pearson's Correlation Coefficient, multiple regression with SPSS 19.0. A positive correlation was found ego-resilience and college adaptation with Enneagram personality types. Personality type 4 and 5 in Enneagram were the lowest level in ego-resilience and college adaptation. The strongest predictor of college adaptation was optimistic attitude in ego-resilience. Optimistic attitude, confidence, emotional control, and academic grades were explained 61.6% of the college adaptation based on multiple regression analysis. These findings indicate that it is necessary to increase ego-resilience according to Enneagram personality types for positive college adaptation.
college adaptation;college students;ego-resilience;personality types
- R. W. Baker, B. Siryk, "Measuring adjustment to college", Journal of Counselling Psychology, Vol. 31, No. 2, pp. 179-189, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-0220.127.116.11
- H. J. Park, I. S. Jang, "Stress, Depression, Coping Styles and Satisfaction of Clinical Practice in Nursing Students", J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Educ. Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 14-23, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2010.16.1.014
- N. K. Martin, P. N, Dixon, "The Effects of Freshman Orientation and Locus of Control on Adjustment to College", Journal of College Student Development, Vol. 30, No. 4, pp. 362-367, 1989.
- Y. S. Youn, "Understanding of Enneagram. Seoul", pp. 15-51, Korean Enneagram Education Center, 2008.
- B. G. Bak, S. Y. Lee, J. H. Song, "Development of Ego-Resiliency Enhancement Program and Testing its Effects", The Korean Journal of Educational Psychology. Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 61-82, 2010.
- S. Kim, K. Min, "Comparison of Three Resilience Scales and Relationship between Resilience and Emotional Characteristics", Korean Journal of Social and Personality Psychology. Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 223-243, 2011.
- E. C. Klohnen, "Conceptual analysis and measurement of the construct of ego-resiliencey", J of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 70, pp. 1067-1079, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1687
- J. A. Park, E. K. Lee, "Influence of ego-resilience and stress coping styles on college adaptation in nursing students". J Korean Acad Nurs Admin, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 267-276, 2011.
- H. Ju, "Life stress, self-efficacy, physical symptoms and adjustment to college among students in university", Unpublished master's thesis, Kongju National University, Gong Ju, Korea. 2013.
- S. Choi, M. Yoo,, M Lee, "A study on the relationship among Cadet's life adjustment, stress, self-esteem, andego resilience in armed forces nursing academy", JMilitary Nurs Research. Vol. 32, No. 1, pp. 1-13, 2014.
- J. Choi,. "Effects of emotional intelligence and ego-resilience on adjustment to college life", Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University of Korea, Seoul, 2009.
- Y. J. Lee, "The Non-residential students' adaptation to college life and career plans", Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul, 1999.
- H. J. Park, "Perceived stress, coping process and depression to ego-resilience", Unpublished master's thesis, Korea University of Korea, Seoul, 1997.
- Y. S. Youn, "The Enneagram personality type scale: Its development and validation", Journal of Educational Psychology, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 131-161, 2001b.
- E. J. Ji, M. R. Bang, H. J. Jeon, "Ego Resilience, Communication Ability and Problem-Solving", J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Educ. Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 571-579, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.4.571 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.4.571
- W. Park, J. Han, "The Effect of Ego-resilience, Stress Coping Styles, Teaching, Effectiveness, and Family Support on Satisfaction of Clinical Practice in Nursing Students by AMOS Structural Equation Model", J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Educ. Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 365-375, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2011.17.3.365
- G. M. Kim, "Relationship between Ego-resilience, Clinical Performance, and Clinical Practice Stress among Nursing Students", Korean Journal of Converging Humanities. Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 73-87, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14729/converging.k.2015.3.1.73
- D. J. Kim, J. S. Lee, "Influence of ego-resilience and self-efficacy on satisfaction in major of nursing student", J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Educ. Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 244-254, 2014. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.2.244 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.2.244
- K. J. Lee, "An Analysis on Enneagram type of nurses", Nursing Science. Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 31-44, 2002.
- M. Lee, S. Kim, "A study on Enneagram Personality types of nursing students", Korean Parent-Child Health Journal. Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 168-181, 2005.
- J. W. Park, N. S. Ha, "Communication apprehesion and performance of using communication skills according to nursing students' Enneagram Personality types", Korean J Stress Research. Vol. 22, No. 4, pp. 169-180, 2014. https://doi.org/10.17547/kjsr.2014.22.4.169
- M. J. Kang, Y. S. Hah, "Clinical nurses' job stress and stress coping style according to Enneagram Personality type", Korean J Stress Research. 18(1), 1-10. Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 1-10, 2010.
- Y. S. Park, E. M. Hyun, "Ego-resilience and stress coping styles of adolescents", Korean Home Management Association, Vol. 25, No. 6, pp. 83-94, 2007.
- H. Gerdes, B. Mallinckrodt, "Emotional, Social, Academic Adjustment of college students:longitudinal study of retention", Journal of Counselling and Development. Vol. 72, No. 3, pp. 281-288, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1556-6676.1994.tb00935.x
Supported by : 대전보건대학교