- Volume 32 Issue 4
Government-funded research institutes (GRIs) have played a pivotal role in national R&D in Korea. To achieve desired goals of GRIs with the limited R&D budget, their performance along with time needs to be measured and compared so that appropriate R&D policies can be formulated and implemented. This study measures the dynamic performance of GRIs from the efficiency perspective using the window model of data envelopment analysis (DEA). DEA is a non-parametric approach to measuring the relative efficiency of decision-making units (DMUs) with multiple inputs and outputs, and the DEA window model can capture the dynamic changes in efficiency of DMUs during multiple periods. The relative efficiency of GRIs is measured from the two perspectives: R&D and R&BD. Patents, papers, technology transfers are selected as outputs for R&D while compensated technology transfers and technology royalty are employed as outputs for R&BD. This study measures and compares the two types of performance of 20 Korean GRIs under the control of National Research Council of Science and Technology during the period of six years from 2008 to 2013. The results are expected to provide fruitful implications for national R&D policy making.
Government-funded Research Institute (GRI);R&D Performance;R&BD;Technology Commercialization;Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA);DEA Window Analysis
- 구승환, 장성용, "DEA를 활용한 주식 포트폴리오 구성에 관한 연구", 경영과학, 제31권, 제3호(2014), pp.1-12.
- 김현정, "공공기관의 유형별 효율성평가와 비 효율성 원인의 규명에 관한 연구", 한국경영과학회지, 제40권, 제1호(2015), pp.75-89.
- 남인석, 송윤영, 정병호, "DEA 모형을 이용한 정부출연연의 상대적 효율성 분석", 한국산업경영시스템학회지, 제31권, 제1호(2008), pp.1-10.
- 문하나, 민대기 "DEA를 활용한 국내 기업의 에너지 효율성 분석", 경영과학, 제32권, 제3호(2015), pp.37-54.
- 이대용, 이청호, "DEA/윈도우 기법을 이용한 정보기술산업의 경영효율성과 규모 경제성 평가에 관한 연구", 경영정보학, 제10권, 제3호(2000), pp.17-40.
- 이상훈, 이학연, 박용태, "자료포락분석(DEA)를 이용한 지식 서비스(KIBS) 산업의 혁신 성과 분석", 한국경영공학회지, 제16권, 제3호(2011), pp.129-144.
- 이형석, 김기석, "DEA/윈도우 모형을 이용한 국내 생명보험산업의 상대적 효율성 분석", 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제8권, 제5호(2008), pp.192-206.
- 임성묵, "DEA에서 교차효율성의 공격적 정형화", 한국경영과학회지, 제33권, 제4호(2008), pp.83-100.
- 전훈, 이학연, "DEA 기반 온라인 게임 성과 관리 포트폴리오 모형", 대한산업공학회지, 제39권, 제4호(2013), pp.260-270.
- 전훈, 이학연, "DEA 윈도우 분석을 이용한 국내 온라인 게임 기업의 운영 효율성 평가", 한국경영과학회지, 제39권, 제3호(2014), pp.23-40.
- 현만석, 유왕진, "DEA 모형을 이용한 공공연구기관의 기술이전 효율성 분석에 관한 연구", 산업경영시스템학회지, 제31권, 제2호(2008), pp.94-103.
- Abramo, G., T. Cicero, and C.A.D'Angelo, "A field-standardized application of DEA to national-scale research assessment of universities," Journal of Informetrics, Vol.5, No.4(2011), pp.618-628. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joi.2011.06.001
- Abramo, G. and C.A.D'Angelo, "Assessing technical and cost efficiency of research activities : a case study of the Italian universities system," Research Evaluation, Vol.18, No.1(2009), pp.61-70. https://doi.org/10.3152/095820209X408869
- Agasisti, T., G. Catalano, P. Landoni, and R. Verganti, "Evaluating the performance of academic departments : an analysis of researchrelated output efficiency," Research Evaluation, Vol.21, No.1(2012), pp.2-14. https://doi.org/10.1093/reseval/rvr001
- Asmild, M., J.C. Paradi, V. Aggarwall, and C. Schaffnit, "Combining DEA window analysis with the Malmquist index approach in a study of the Canadian banking industry," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Vol.1, No.1(2004), pp.67-89.
- Banker, R.D., A. Charnes, and W.W. Cooper, "Some models for estimating technical and scale inefficiencies in data envelopment analysis," Management Science, Vol.30, No.9(1984), pp.1078-1092. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.30.9.1078
- Bonaccorsi, A. and C. Daraio, "A robust nonparametric approach to the analysis of scientific productivity," Research Evaluation, Vol.12, No.1(2003), pp.47-69. https://doi.org/10.3152/147154403781776726
- Carlos, S.-C., F.-C. Yolanda, and M.-M. Cecilio, "Measuring DEA efficiency in internet companies," Decision Support Systems, Vol.38, No.4(2005), pp.557-573. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dss.2003.08.004
- Charnes, A. and W.W. Cooper, "Preface to topics in data envelopment analysis," Annals of Operations Research, Vol.2, No.1(1984), pp.59-94. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01874733
- Charnes, A., W.W. Cooper, and E. Rhodes, "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Vol.2, No.6(1978), pp.429-444. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-2217(78)90138-8
- Charnes, A., C.T. Clark, W.W. Cooper, and B. Golany, "A developmental study of data envelopment analysis in measuring the efficiency of maintenance units in the US air forces," Annals of Operations Research, Vol.2, No.1(1984), pp.95-112. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01874734
- Cherchye, L. and P.V. Abeele, "On research efficiency : A micro-analysis of Dutch university research in economics and business management," Research Policy, Vol.34, No.4(2005), pp.495-516. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2005.03.005
- Colbert, A., R.L. Reuven, and C.S. Michael, "Determining the relative efficiency of MBA programs using DEA," European Journal of Operational Research, Vol.125, No.3(2000), pp.656-669. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-2217(99)00275-1
- Cooper, W.W., M.S. Lawrence, and T. Kaoru, Data Envelopment Analysis : A comprehensive text with models, applications, references and DEA-solver software, Springer, 2007.
- Groot, T. and T. Garcia-Valderrama, "Research quality and efficiency : an analysis of assessments and management issues in Dutch economics and business research programs," Research Policy, Vol.35, No.9(2006), pp.1362-1376. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2006.07.002
- Guan, J. and K. Chen, "Modeling the relative efficiency of national innovation system," Research Policy, Vol.35, No.9(2012), pp.102-115.
- Guan, J. and J. Wang, "Evaluation and interpretation of knowledge production efficiency," Scientometrics, Vol.59, No.1(2004), pp.131-155. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:SCIE.0000013303.25298.ae
- Hsu, F.-M. and C.-C. Hsueh, "Measuring relative efficiency of government-sponsored R&D projects : A three-stage approach," Evaluation and Program Planning, Vol.32, No.2(2009), pp.178-186. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.evalprogplan.2008.10.005
- Johnes, J. and G. Johnes, "Research funding and performance in UK university departments of economics : a frontier analysis," Economics of Education Review, Vol.14, No.3(1995), pp301-314. https://doi.org/10.1016/0272-7757(95)00008-8
- Kocher, M., M. Luptacik, and M. Sutter, "Measuring productivity of research in economics : A cross-country study using DEA," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Vol.40, No.4(2006), pp314-332. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seps.2005.04.001
- Lee, S. and H. Lee, "Measuring and comparing the R&D performance of government research institutes : A bottom-up data envelopment analysis approach," Journal of Informetrics, No.9(2015), pp.942-953.
- Lee, H. and Y. Park, "An international comparison of R&D efficiency : DEA approach," Asian Journal of Technology Innovation, Vol.13, No.2(2005), pp.207-222. https://doi.org/10.1080/19761597.2005.9668614
- Lee, H., Y. Park and H. Choi, "Comparative evaluation of performance of national R&D programs with heterogeneous objectives : A DEA approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Vol.196, No.3(2009), pp.847-855. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2008.06.016
- Linton, J.D., S.T. Walsh, and J. Morabito, "Analysis, ranking and selection of R&D projects in a portfolio," R&D Management, Vol.32, No.2(2002), pp.139-148. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-9310.00246
- Liu, F.-H. and W. Peng-Hsiang, "DEA Malmquist productivity measure : Taiwanese semiconductor companies," International Journal of Production Economics, Vol.112, No.1(2008), pp.367-379. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2007.03.015
- Liu, J.S. and W.-M. Lu, "DEA and ranking with the network-based approach : a case of R&D performance," Omega, Vol.38, No.6(2010), pp.453-464. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.omega.2009.12.002
- Luwel, M., E.C.M. Noyons, and H.F. Moed, "Bibliometric assessment of research performance in Flanders : Policy background and implication," R&D Management, Vol.29, No.2(1999), pp.133-142. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-9310.00124
- Meng, W., D. Zhang, L. Qi, and W. Liu, "Twolevel DEA approaches in Research Evaluation," Omega, Vol.36, No.6(2008), pp.950-957. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.omega.2007.12.005
- Narin, F. and K.S. Hamilton, "Bibliometric performance measures," Scientometrics, Vol.36, No.3(1996), pp.293-310. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02129596
- Ortega, J.L., E. Lopez-Romero, and I. Fernandez, "Multivariate approach to classify research institutes according to their outputs : The case of the CSIC's institutes," Journal of Informetrics, Vol.5, No.3(2011), pp.323-332.
- Revilla, E., J. Sarkis, and A. Modrego, "Evaluating performance of public-private research collaborations : A DEA analysis," Journal of the Operational Research Society, Vol.54, No.2(2003), pp.165-174. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.jors.2601524
- Rousseau, S. and R. Rousseau, "Data envelopment analysis as a tool for constructing scientometric indicators," Scientometric, Vol.40, No.1(1997), pp.45-56. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02459261
- Rousseau, S. and R. Rousseau, " The scientific wealth of European nations : taking effectiveness into account," Scientometric, Vol.42, No.1(1998), pp.75-87. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02465013
- Sharma, S. and V. Thomas, "Inter-country R&D efficiency analysis : An application of data envelopment analysis," Scientometric, Vol.76, No.3(2008), pp.483-501. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11192-007-1896-4
- Thore, S., F. Phillips, T. Ruefli, W., and P. Yue, "DEA and the management of the product cycle : The US computer industry," Computers and Operations Research, Vol.23, No.4(1996), pp.341-356. https://doi.org/10.1016/0305-0548(95)00043-7
- Robert, W., "Levels of efficiency in UK retail banks : a DEA window analysis," Int. J. of the Economics of Business, Vol.10, No.3(2003), pp.305-322. https://doi.org/10.1080/1357151032000126256
- Wang, E.C. and W. Huang, "Relative efficiency of R&D activities : A cross-country study accounting for environmental factors in the DEA approach," Research Policy, Vol.36, No.2(2007), pp.260-273. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2006.11.004
- Xue, M. and T.H. Patrick, "Note : Ranking DMUs with infeasible super-efficiency DEA models," Management Science, Vol.48, No.5(2002), pp.705-710. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.48.5.705.7805
- Yang, H.-H. and C.-Y. Chang, "Using DEA window analysis to measure efficiencies of Taiwan's integrated telecommunication firms," Telecommunications Policy, Vol.33, No.1(2009), pp.98-108. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.telpol.2008.11.001
- Yang, Z., "A two-stage DEA model to evaluate the overall performance of Canadian life and health insurance companies," Mathematical and Computer Modeling, Vol.43, No.7(2006), pp.910-919. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mcm.2005.12.011
- Zhu, J., "Multi-factor performance measure model with an application to fortune 500 companies," European Journal of Operational Research, Vol.123, No.1(2000), pp.105-124. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-2217(99)00096-X
연구 과제 주관 기관 : 서울과학기술대학교