- Volume 5 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Numerical simulation of wave slamming on 3D offshore platform deck using a coupled Level-Set and Volume-of-Fluid method for overset grid system
- Received : 2015.10.28
- Accepted : 2015.11.30
- Published : 2015.12.25
The numerical simulation of wave slamming on a 3D platform deck was investigated using a coupled Level-Set and Volume-of-Fluid (CLSVOF) method for overset grid system incorporated into the Finite-Analytic Navier-Stokes (FANS) method. The predicted slamming impact forces were compared with the corresponding experimental data. The comparisons showed that the CLSVOF method is capable of accurately predicting the slamming impact and capturing the violent free surface flow including wave slamming, wave inundation and wave recession. Moreover, the capability of the present CLSVOF method for overset grid system is a prominent feature to handle the prediction of wave slamming on offshore structure.
computational fluid dynamics;CLSVOF;overset grid;slamming;fluid-structure interaction
- Broughton, P. and Horn, E. (1987), "Ekofisk Platform 2/4C: Re-analysis due to subsidence", Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers, 82(5), 949-979. https://doi.org/10.1680/iicep.1987.488
- Bunnik, B. and Buchner, T. (2007), "Extreme wave effects on deepwater floating structures", Proceedings of Offshore Technology Conference.
- Cokelet, E.D. (1977), "Steep gravity waves in water of arbitrary uniform depth", Philo. T. R. Soc. A, 286, 183-230. https://doi.org/10.1098/rsta.1977.0113
- Chen, H.C. (2010), "Time-domain simulation of nonlinear wave impact loads on fixed offshore platform and decks", Int. J. Offshore Polar, 20, 275-283.
- Chen, H.C. (2011), "CFD simulation of compressible two-phase sloshing flow in a LNG tank", Ocean Syst. Eng., 1(1), 31-57. https://doi.org/10.12989/ose.2011.1.1.031
- Chen, H.C. (2013), "CFD simulation of directional short-crested waves on Jack-up structure", Int. J. Offshore Polar, 23, 38-45.
- Chen, H.C., Patel, V.C. and Ju, S. (1990), "Solutions of reynolds-averaged navier-stokes equations for three-dimensional incompressible flow", J. Comput. Phys., 88, 305-335. https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9991(90)90182-Z
- Chen, H.C. and Yu, K. (2009), "CFD simulations of wave-current-body interactions including greenwater and wet deck slamming", J. Comput. Fluid, 38(5), 970-980. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compfluid.2008.01.026
- Gao, R., Ren, B., Wang, G. and Wang, Y. (2012), "Numerical modelling of regular wave slamming on subface of open-piled structures with the correted SPH method", Appl. Ocean Res., 34, 173-186. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apor.2011.08.002
- Hirt, C.W. and Nichols, B.D. (1981), "Volume of fluid (VOF) method for the dynamics of free boundaries", J. Comput. Phys., 39, 201-225. https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9991(81)90145-5
- Iwanowski, B., Grigorian, H. and Scherf, I. (2002), "Subsidence of the Ekofisk platforms: wave in deck impact study-various wave models and computational methods", Proceedings of the 21th International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, January.
- Kaplan, P. (1992), "Wave impact force on offshore structures: re-examination and new interpretations", Proceedings of Offshore Technology Conference.
- Kaplan, P., Murray, J.J. and Yu, W.C. (1995), "Theoretical analysis of wave impact forces on platform deck structures", Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, New York, USA.
- Osher, S.J. and Sethian, J.A. (1988), "Fronts propagating with curvature dependent speed: algorithms based on Hamilton-Jacobi formulations", J. Comput. Phys., 79, 12-49. https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9991(88)90002-2
- Ren, B., Ding, Z., Wang, Y. and Ren, X. (2007), "Experimental study of regular wave impact on the three-dimensional structure in the splash zone", Proceedings of the 17th International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference.
- Ren, B. and Wang, Y. (2004), "Numerical simulation of random wave slamming on structures in the splash zone", Ocean Eng., 31,547-560. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2003.10.006
- Sussman, M. and Puckett, E.G. (2000), "A coupled level set and volume-of-fluid method for computing 3d and axisymmetric incompressible two-phase flow", J. Comput. Phys., 162, 301-337. https://doi.org/10.1006/jcph.2000.6537
- Wang, H. (1970), "Water wave pressure on horizontal plates", J. Hydr. Eng. Div., 96(10), 1997-2017.
- Zhao, Y. and Chen, H.C. (2013), "CFD simulation of violent free surface flows by a coupled level-set and volume-of-fluid method", Proceedings of the 23rd International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference.
- Zhao, Y. and Chen, H.C. (2014), "Violent free surface flow simulations by a coupled level-set and volume-of-fluid method in overset grid systems", Int. J. Offshore Polar, 24(2), 114-121.
- Zhao, Y. and Chen, H.C. (2015), "Numerical simulation of 3D sloshing flow in partially filled LNG tank using a coupled level-set and volume-of-fluid method", Ocean Eng., 104, 10-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2015.04.083
- Review of ship slamming loads and responses vol.16, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11804-017-1437-3
- A new coupled level set and volume-of-fluid method to capture free surface on an overset grid system vol.90, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmultiphaseflow.2017.01.002