- Volume 5 Issue 4
The present investigations introduce the shell-finite element discretization for the dynamics of slender marine pipelines. A long catenary pipeline, corresponding to a particular Steel Catenary Riser (SCR), is investigated under long-standing cyclic loading. The long structure is divided into smaller tubular parts which are discretized with 8-node planar shell elements. The transient analysis of each part is carried out by the implicit time integration scheme, within a Finite Elements (FE) solver. The time varying external loads and boundary conditions on each part are the results of a prior solution of an integrated line-dynamics model. The celebrated FE approximation can produce a more detailed stress distribution along the structural surface than the simplistic "line-dynamics" approach.
offshore applications;SCR;sagbend;nonlinear dynamics;planar shells
- American Petroleum Institute (1998), Design of risers for floating production systems (FPSs) and tension leg platforms (TLPs). API-RP-2RD.
- ANSYS Mechanical APDL (2007), Theory Reference Manual. ANSYS Inc.
- Arabzadeh, H. and Zeinoddini, M. (2011), "Dynamic response of pressurized submarine pipelines subjected to transverse impact loads", Procedia Eng., 14, 648-655. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2011.07.082
- Bathe, K.J. (1979), Finite element formulation, modeling and solution of nonlinear dynamic problems, Chapter in Numerical Methods for Partial Differential Equations (Ed., S.W. Parter), Academic Press.
- Bathe, K.J. and Dvorkin, E. (1986), "A formulation of general shell-elements. The use of mixed interpolation of tensorial components", Int. J. Numer. Meth. Eng., 22, 697-722. https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.1620220312
- Bathe, K.J. (1996), Finite element procedures in engineering analysis, Prentice-Hall Inc.
- Chai, Y.T., Varyani, K.S. and Barltrop, N.D.P. (2002), "Three-dimensional lump-mass formulation of a catenary riser with bending, torsion and irregular seabed interaction effect", Ocean Eng., 29(12), 1503-1525. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0029-8018(01)00087-7
- Chatjigeorgiou, I.K. (2010a), "Three dimensional nonlinear dynamics of submerged, extensible catenary pipes conveying fluid and subjected to end-imposed excitations", Int. J. Nonlinear Mech., 45(7), 667-680. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnonlinmec.2010.04.001
- Chatjigeorgiou, I.K. (2010b), "On the effect of internal flow on vibrating catenary risers in three dimensions", Eng. Struct., 32(10), 3313-3329. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2010.07.004
- Chatjigeorgiou, I.K. (2013), "Numerical simulation of the chaotic lateral vibrations of long rotating beams", Appl. Math. Comput., 219(10), 5592-5612. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amc.2012.11.076
- Eom, T.S., Kim, M.H., Bae, Y.H. and Cifuentes, C. (2014), "Local dynamic buckling of FPSO steel catenary riser by coupled time-domain simulations", Ocean Syst. Eng., 4(3), 215-241. DOI: 10.12989/ose.2014.4.3.215, 215-241. https://doi.org/10.12989/ose.2014.4.3.215
- Estefen, S.F., Moan, T., Saevik, S. and Zimmer, R.A. (1995), "Limit state formulations for TLP tendon and steel riser bodies", J. Constr. Steel Res., 32(1), 107-121. https://doi.org/10.1016/0143-974X(94)00012-7
- Hildebrand, F.B. (1976), Advanced Calculus for Applications (2nd Ed.), Prentice-Hall Inc., Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey.
- Hoffman, J.D. (1993), Numerical methods for engineers and scientists, McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Hosseini Kordkheili, S.A. and Bahai, H. (2008), "Non-linear finite element analysis of flexible risers in presence of buoyancy force and seabed interaction boundary condition", Arch. Appl. Mech., 78(10), 765-774. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00419-007-0190-5
- Howells, H. (1999), FPS riser design, In: International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering (OMAE1999), FPS in Harsh Environments Workshop, St. Johns, Newfoundland, Canada.
- Huang, H., Zhang, J. and Zhu, L. (2013), "Numerical model of a tensioner system and riser guide", Ocean Syst. Eng., 3(4), 257.273. DOI: 10.12989/ose.2013.3.4.257, 257-273. https://doi.org/10.12989/ose.2013.3.4.257
- Katifeoglou, S.A. and Chatjigeorgiou, I.K. (2012), "Dynamic interaction of catenary risers with the seafloor", Appl. Ocean Res., 38, 1-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apor.2012.06.001
- Katifeoglou, S.A., Chatjigeorgiou, I.K. and Mavrakos, S.A. (2012), "Effects of fully developed turbulent internal flow on marine risers' dynamics", Proceedings of the International Conference on Offshore and Polar Engineering (ISOPE2012), Rhodes, Greece.
- Kyriakides, S. and Corona, E. (2007), Mechanics of offshore pipelines. Volume 1: Buckling and collapse, Elsevier, Oxford.
- Meng, D. and Chen, L. (2012), "Nonlinear free vibrations and vortex-induced vibrations of fluid-conveying steel catenary riser", Appl. Ocean Res., 34, 52-67. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apor.2011.10.002
- Nakhaee, A. and Zhang, J. (2010), "Trenching effects on dynamic behavior of a steel catenary riser", Ocean Eng., 37(2-3), 277-288. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2009.10.005
- Press, W.H., Flannery, B.P., Teukolsky, S.A. and Vetterling, W.T. (1986), Numerical recipes, Cambridge University Press.
- Riveros, C.A., Utsunomiya, T., Maeda, K. and Itoh, K. (1999), "Dynamic response of oscillating flexible risers under lock-in events", Int. J. Offshore Polar Eng., 19(1), 23-30.
- Subbaraj, K. and Dokainish, M.A. (1989), "A survey of direct time-integration methods in computational dynamics-II. Implicit methods", Comput. Struct., 32(6), 1371-1386. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7949(89)90314-3