- Volume 35 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
An Understanding of Secondary Science Teachers' Performance on STEAM Lessons in the Perspective of the CHAT
중등 과학교사의 융합인재교육(STEAM) 실행에 대한 문화역사적 활동이론(CHAT) 측면에서의 이해
- Choi, Sookyeong (Seoul National University) ;
- Kim, Minhwan (Seoul National University) ;
- Noh, Taehee (Seoul National University)
- Received : 2015.11.23
- Accepted : 2015.12.23
- Published : 2015.12.31
In this case study, we analyzed the STEAM lessons conducted by secondary science teachers in the perspective of the CHAT. Two science teachers at high schools in Seoul participated in this study. All of the teaching-learning materials were collected before lessons, and their lessons were observed and videotaped. We also observed the atmospheres in both school offices and classrooms. Semi-structured interviews were conducted before and after their lessons. All the data collected were categorized according to the elements of the activity system and analyzed by using the constant comparative method. The analyses of the results revealed that both teachers did not consider the student-centered self-directed activities in their STEAM lessons, but that they differed in the subject element such as teacher's professionalism on STEAM. Various elements of the activity system such as environmental characteristics of the school and policies about the STEAM influenced the performance of their STEAM lessons. Contradictions in the elements of the activity system brought about various changes. Successful experiences of the STEAM lessons by complex effects of the elements positively influenced their performances on their STEAM lessons. Based on these results, we have made some suggestions for the establishment of the STEAM in secondary schools.
STEAM;CHAT;Secondary science education
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Ahn, J., Na, J., & Song, J. (2013). The cases of integrated science education practices in schools -What are the ways to facilitate integrated science education?-. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education, 33(4), 763-777. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2013.33.4.763
- Baek, Y. S., Park, H., Kim, Y., Noh, S. G., Park, J.-Y., Lee, J., ... Han, H. (2011). STEAM education in Korea, Journal of Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction, 11(4), 149-171.
- Choi, S., Lee, J., & Noh, T. (2015). A case study of preservice secondary science teachers' demonstration of STEAM lessons. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education, 35(4), 665-676. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2015.35.4.0665
- Choi, Y.-H., Lee, E.-S., & Kim, D.-H. (2013). Development of STEAM education program for middle school students: Focusing on robot, advanced material, and space exploration. the Korean Journal of Technology Education, 13(1), 152-177.
- Chun, E., Na, J., Joung, Y. J., & Song, J. (2015). Development and application of the measuring instrument for the analysis of science classroom culture from the perspective of 'community of practice'. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education, 35(1), 131-142. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2015.35.1.0131
- Engestrom, Y. (1987). Learning by expanding: An activity-theoretical approach to developmental research. Helsinki: Orienta-Konsultit.
- Han, H., & Lee, H. (2012). A Study on the teachers' perceptions and needs of steam education. Journal of Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction, 12(3), 573-603.
- Han, M., Yang, C., & Noh, T. (2014). An understanding of the performance of teaching in a science museum: A case study using the CHAT. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education, 34(1), 33-42. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2014.34.1.1.0033
- Haney, J. J., & McArthur, J. (2002). Four case studies of prospective science teachers' beliefs concerning constructivist teaching practices. Science Education, 86(6), 783-802. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.10038
- Jeong, J.-S., & Lee, E. (2013). An analysis of teaching and learning activities in life science classes based on cultural-historical activity theory. Biology Education, 41(3), 446-458. https://doi.org/10.15717/bioedu.2013.41.3.446
- Kang, C., Lee, S., & Kang, K. (2013). Secondary school teachers' perception on STEAM education and their satisfaction on teachers' training program. Scientific Education Study, 15(2), 1-12.
- Kim, B.-H., Lee, H.-J., & Kim, J. (2013). Development of T-STEAM program in middle school technology subject and its application. the Korean Journal of Technology Education, 13(1), 131-151.
- Kim, J.-H. (2012). Exploring the possibility of interdisciplinary education for convergence education in knowledge-based society. Korean Journal of Culture and Arts Education Studies, 7(1), 175-200. https://doi.org/10.15815/kjcaes.2012.7.1.175
- Korea Foundation for the Advancement of Science and Creativity (2012). STEAM education that can be taken in hand (STEAM guidebook).
- Lee, C.-H., & Seo, W.-S. (2012). The development and application of creative design education program based on integrative steam on through making automata. the Korean Journal of Technology Education, 12(1), 67-91.
- Lee, H., Son, D., Kwon, H., Park, K., Han, I., Jung, H., ... Seo, B.-H. (2012). Secondary teachers' perceptions and needs analysis on integrative stem education. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education, 32(1), 30-45. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2012.32.1.030
- Lee, J., Park, H., & Kim, J. (2013). Primary teachers' perception analysis on development and application of STEAM education program. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 32(1), 47-59.
- Lee, J.-K., Lee, T.-K., & Ha, M. (2013). Exploring the evolution patterns of trading zones appearing in the convergence of teachers' ideas: The case study of learning community of teaching volunteers 'STEAM teacher community'. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education, 33(5), 1055-1086. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2013.33.5.1055
- Lee, J.-M., & Shin, Y.-J. (2014). An analysis of elementary school teachers' difficulties in the STEAM class. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 33(3), 588-596. https://doi.org/10.15267/keses.2014.33.3.588
- Lee, S.-K., & Hwang, S. (2012). Exploring teachers' perceptions and experiences of convergence education in science education: Based on focus group interviews with science teachers. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education, 32(5), 974-990. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2012.32.5.974
- Noh, H., & Paik, S. (2014). STEAM experienced teachers' perception of STEAM in secondary education. Journal of Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction, 14(10), 375-402.
- Park, H., Kim, Y., Noh, S. G., Lee, J., Jeong, J.-S., Choi, Y., ... Baek, Y. S. (2012). Components of 4C-STEAM education and a checklist for the instructional design. Journal of Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction, 12(4), 533-557.
- Rhie, D.-H., Kim, J.-O., & Kim, J. (2015). Development and application of STEAM education process model for the 'creative design' step of STEAM learning criteria. the Korean Journal of Technology Education, 15(1), 150-170.
- Roth, W. -M., Lee, Y., & Hsu, P. (2009). A tool for changing the world: Possibilities of cultural-historical activity theory to reinvigorate science education. Studies in Science Education, 45(2), 131-167. https://doi.org/10.1080/03057260903142269
- Saka, Y., Southerland, S. A., & Brooks, J. S. (2009). Becoming a member of a school community while working toward science education reform: Teacher induction from a cultural historical activity theory (CHAT) perspective. Science Education, 93(6), 996-1025. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.20342
- Shin, Y., & Han, S. (2011). A study of the elementary school teachers'' perception in STEAM education. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 30(4), 514-523.
- Strauss, A., & Corbin, J. (1998). Basics of qualitative research: Technique and procedures for developing grounded theory. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Youn, C., & Park, S. (2012). Theoretical development of cultural historical activity theory and implications to lifelong education. Journal of Lifelong Education, 18(3), 119-139.
- Yu, B.-K., Ku, H., Kim, S.-J., Kim, S.-J., Moon, J.-E., Park, Y.-S., ... Shin, H. (2014). Understanding the yungbokhap model of education in practice: Teachers' perspectives and experiences. Journal of Learner- Centered Curriculum and Instruction, 14(5), 339-371.