- Volume 39 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Electrical system design in FLNG offshore unit
- Kim, Jong-Su (Department of Marine System Engineering, College of Maritime Sciences, Korea Maritime and Ocean University) ;
- Kim, Deok-Ki (FLNG Engineering Department, Hyundai Heavy Industries)
- Received : 2015.11.03
- Accepted : 2015.12.10
- Published : 2015.12.31
In recent years, Floating Liquefied Natural Gas (FLNG) Unit have attracted considerable attention. Generally, liquefied natural gas (LNG) units are produced in onshore liquefaction terminals from gas supplied from onshore gas fields or large-scale offshore gas fields near the coast. However, the development of these gas fields has approached saturation. Large-scale offshore gas fields far from the coast, as well as undeveloped medium- and small-scale offshore gas fields, have recently attracted attention. Among several proposed concepts, the floating LNG plant in the form of the FLNG system was chosen for further evaluation and development, considering worldwide receiving infrastructure. The design of a 2.5 million tonne per annum FLNG unit has been completed with a capacity corresponding to that of modern onshore liquefaction plants. Various simulation tests were performed to evaluate the performance of the electrical power plant, focusing on the efficiency of the electrical system to secure the aspects of plant safety. This design study analyzes the electrical system for the FLNG unit to improve the safety of operation and maintenance in the field.
- K. Hanawa, M. Mori, Y. Mouda, and E. Aoki, "An experimental study of floating type LNG terminal," LNG12 Conference, 1998.
- H. Miyakea, N. Kishimoto, and Y. Kakutani, "Small scale LNG FPSO for marginal gas fields," LNG12 Conference, 1998.
- C. Pashalis, D. Matthews, and P. Andersen, "Liquefied gas production and export in the offshore environment," Gas Processors Association, European Chapter, 1993.
- H. Miyake, N. Kishimoto, M. Imafuku, M. Ohyama, Y. Saito, T. Ikebuchi, M. Nakamura, and K. Ueda, "Motions and mooring force of LNG FPSO in waves, wind and current," Kawasaki Technical Review, 1997.
- IEC 60909, "Short-circuit currents in three-phase a.c. systems- Part 0: Calculation of currents," 2001.
- IEC 61363, "Electrical installations of ships and mobile and fixed offshore units - Procedures for Calculating short-circuit currents in three-phase a.c," 1998.
- IEC 60364, "Low-voltage electrical installations - Part 1:Fundamental principles, assessment of general characteristics, definitions," 2005.
- Turan Gonen, "Electrical Power Distribution System Engineering," CRC Press, 2007.
- O. I. Elgerd and P. D. van der Puije, "Electrical power engineering," ITP, 1998.
- ABS, "Floating production installations," 2015.
- ABS, "Steel vessel rules," 2015.