- Volume 16 Issue 2
This study explored determinants of family support that young renter households received to afford their housing costs. Microdata set of the 2014 Korea Housing Survey was used as secondary data for the study. Total 1,752,899 households headed by persons between 20 and 34 years of age and whose rental type was either Jeon-se or monthly rental with deposit in private rental units were selected as study subjects. For the data analysis, a series of discriminant analysis was conducted using IBM SPSS 21.0. Major findings were as follows. (1) Among the subjects, 28.2% were found to receive financial support from parents or other relatives. (2) To see the discriminant analysis results, a linear combination of seven household and housing characteristics (householder's gender, whether or not the householder worked in the previous week, whether or not the householders have a spouse, tenure type, structure type, location and deposit amount) could explain 44.6% of variance in young renter households' receipt of family support with a prediction accuracy of 77.2%. (3) To summarize the final discriminant model, Jeon-se renter households in location other than Incheon or Gyeonggi Province living in a unit in structure other than multifamily structure headed by younger householders that did not worked previous week or without spouse; with a greater deposit had the maximum tendency to receive family support to pay rental costs.
Young renter households;Family supports;Financial dependency;Housing costs;Discriminant Analysis
- Bae, B. (2013). A study on housing affordability of university student in Seoul. Unpublished Master's thesis, University of Seoul, Seoul.
- Baek, D. (2008). A study on housing preferences of career beginners: Based on questionnaire survey in Seoul. Unpublished Master's thesis. Seoul: Konkuk University.
- Beamish, J. O., Goss, R. C., & Emmel, J. (2001). Lifestyle influences on housing preferences. Housing and Society, 28(1&2), 1-28. https://doi.org/10.1080/08882746.2001.11430459
- Choi, R., & Lee, J. (2014). The study on residential status and needs of the social freshman. Proceedings of Autumn Annual Conference of KHA, 2014, 97.
- Chung, E. (2012). Housing costs and household formation of young adults in Korea. Journal of the Korea Real Estate Analysts Association, 18(2), 19-31.
- Goss, R. C., Beamish, J., & Lee, H. (2014, April). Housing for young professionals: Implications from the United States and South Korea. Presentation at the 30th Annual Meeting of the American Real Estate Society.
- Han, S., Lim, E., Chen, M., & Lee, H. (2014). Housing costs and parental supports for early-career renters in architecture and interior design-related companies. Journal of Human Ecology, 18(2), 159-170.
- Kang, S., & Hong, H. (2013). A study on awareness and housing preferences about public rental housing among career starting persons. Proceedings of Spring Annual Conference of KHA, 2013, 397-402.
- Kim, M., & Kim, S. (2013). Baby bookers' lifestyle and preferred characteristics of postretirement homes: With a focus on Korean-American immigrants. Journal of the Korean Housing Association, 24(3), 85-94. https://doi.org/10.6107/JKHA.2013.24.3.085
- Kwon, H. J., & Lee, H. (2015). Housing value clusters and housing characteristics of young renters in South Korea. 2015 Asia-Pacific Network for Housing Research Conference Book, 279.
- Kwon, J. W., & Lee, E. J. (2013). 청년 주거빈곤 보고서 [Housing poverty report of young persons]. 제3회 주거복지 컨퍼런스 자료집 [Proceedings of the 3rd Housing Welfare Conference], 561-578.
- Lee, H. (2013). Workforce entry prepares’ post-college housing expectations and perception of housing cost burden. Journal of the Korean Housing Association, 24(4), 29-37. https://doi.org/10.6107/JKHA.2013.24.4.029
- Lee, H. (2014a). Expectations on post-college housing and parental supports for workforce entry prepares from non-capital regions. Journal of the Korean Housing Association, 25(3), 115-164. https://doi.org/10.6107/JKHA.2014.25.3.115
- Lee, H. (2014b). Determinants of college students’ expectation of parental support to afford post-college housing costs. Journal of Human Ecology, 18(2), 135-146.
- Lee, H. (2015a). Housing costs of beginning-stage career young renters in Seoul metropolitan area. Journal of the Korean Housing Association, 26(1), 71-79.
- Lee, H. (2015b). Comparisons of young renter households’ housing situation by locations reflected in the 2012 Korea Housing Survey. Journal of the Korean Housing Association, 26(1), 81-90.
- Lee, H., Beamish, J., & Goss, R. C. (2014). Housing situation of young professionals in the United States and Korea. Proceedings of the Annual Conference of the Housing Education and Research Association, 68-69.
- Lee, H., Goss, R. D., & Beamish, J. O. (2007). Influence of lifestyle on preferences of multifamily housing residents. Housing and Society, 34(1), 11-30. https://doi.org/10.1080/08882746.2007.11430542
- Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport. (2014). 2014 주거실태조사: 연구보고서 [The 2014 Korea Housing Survey: Research report]. Retrieved from http://hnuri.go.kr/stat/stat_byYearSearchViewPage.do?bbsId=BBSMSTR_000000000011&nttId=311
- SaramIn. (2009, January 14). 2030 직장인 21%, 취업 후에도 부모에게 경제적 도움 받아 [Among workers in their 20s and 30s, 21 percent receive financial supports from their parents even after employment]. Retrieved from http://www.saraminhr.co.kr/open_content/pr/press_release.php?sno=60&group=basic&code=B2&category=&&field=all&search=%B0%E6%C1%A6%C0%FB&abmode=view&no=1133&bsort=&bfsort=wdate&listno=85Among workers, 21 percent receive
- SaramIn. (2010, June 8). 직장인 5명 중 1명, 취업하고도 부모에게 손 벌려 [One in five workers receive parental supports even after employment]. Retrieved from http://www.saraminhr.co.kr/open_content/pr/press_release.php?sno=50&group=basic&code=B2&category=&&field=all&search=%B0%E6%C1%A6%C0%FB&abmode=view&no=1433&bsort=&bfsort=wdate&listno=94
- The Bank of Korea. (n.d.). 한국은행 기준금리 변동추이 [The Bank of Korea basemoney rate trend]. Retrieved from http://www.bok.or.kr/baserate/baserateList.action?menuNaviId=33
- Young Single-Person Renter Households’ Housing Situation and Expectations in Relation to Family Support and Housing Cost Burden Reflected in the 2014 Korea Housing Survey vol.28, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.6107/JKHA.2017.28.3.011