- Volume 32 Issue 3
The main objective of this study is to investigate the moderating roles of the competitor's pricing strategy and the degree of consumer's risk-aversion on perceived risk and perceived benefit in responding to price increases and package downsizing. Based on Prospect Theory, several prior researches find that consumers perceive increased price as more loss than package downsizing and perceive package downsizing as more benefit than increased price. We extend these behavioral economics approach using the reference effect of competitor's pricing strategy. We focus on consumer heterogeneity on risk-aversion, measure the degree of consumer's risk-aversion, and divide the consumers into two groups of high levels of risk-aversion vs. low levels of risk-aversion. We find that the firm's pricing strategies of both price increases and package downsizing do not significantly influence the perceived benefit for relatively low risk-aversion consumers. We find that when the firm reduce the package size, relatively high risk-aversion consumers perceived more benefit and had higher purchase intention compared to price increases. We also find that the competitor's pricing strategies do not significantly influence the consumer's response for relatively low risk-aversion consumers. For relatively high risk-aversion consumers, they perceived more loss when the firm has different pricing strategy from the competitor's.
Downsizing;Price Increase;Reference Price;Prospect Theory
- "질소과자 오명 벗자-오리온 허인철의 '착한포장' 통했다", 한국경제, 2015년 3월 31일자 (http://www.hankyung.com/news/app/newsview.php?aid=2015033178081).
- 강영선, 강현모, "제조비용 증가에 대한 대응전략으로서 제품 크기 축소와 가격 인상의 비교연구", "경영과학", 제32권, 제1호(2015), pp.83-100.
- 권익현, "지각된 위험이 메시지 프레이밍 효과에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구", "마케팅연구", 제20권, 제3호(2005), pp.29-45.
- 이지은, 유동호, "가격 변화가 소비자의 공정성 지각에 미치는 영향 : 가격 변화 유형과 자기조절초점을 중심으로", "한국심리학회지 : 소비자 광고", 제11권, 제2호(2010), pp.349-374.
- 주우진, 임미자, "서비스 & 제품 묶음상품의 공정성 지각 제고를 위한 가격인상 제시 전략", "아시아마케팅연구", 제26권, 제2호(2011), pp. 1-23.
- Adams, A., C.A. di Benedetto, and R. Chandran, "Can You Reduce Your Package Size without Damaging Sales?," Long Range Planning, Vol.24, No.4(1991), pp.86-96. https://doi.org/10.1016/0024-6301(91)90009-D
- Bell, D.R. and J.M. Lattin, "Looking for Loss Aversion in Scanner Panel Data : The Cofounding Effect of Price-Response Heterogeneity," Marketing Science, Vol.19, No.2 (2000), pp.185-200. https://doi.org/10.1287/mksc.22.214.171.12402
- Briesch, R.A., L. Krishnamurthi, T. Mazumdar, and S.P. Raj, "A Comparative Analysis of Reference Price Models," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol.24, No.2(1997), pp.202-214. https://doi.org/10.1086/209505
- Chang, K., S. Siddarth, and C.B. Weinberg, "The Impact of Heterogeneity in Purchase Timing and Price Responsiveness on Estimates of Sticker Shock Effects," Marketing Science, Vol.18, No.2(1999), pp.178-190. https://doi.org/10.1287/mksc.18.2.178
- Crowe, E. and E.T. Higgins, "Regulatory Focus and Strategic Inclinations : Promotion and Prevention in Decision-Making," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Vol.69, No.2, pp.117-132. https://doi.org/10.1006/obhd.1996.2675
- Ferguson, J.L., "Implementing Price Increases in Turbulent Economies : Pricing Approaches for Reducing Perceptions of Price Unfairness," Journal of Business Research, Vol.67, No.1(2014), pp.2732-2737. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2013.03.023
- Grewal, D., R. Krishnan, J. Baker, and N. Borin, "The Effect of Store Name, Brand Name and Price Discounts on Consumers' Evaluations and Purchase Intentions," Journal of Retailing, Vol.74, No.3(1998), pp.331-352. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4359(99)80099-2
- Grewal, D., K.B. Monroe, and R. Krishnan, "The Effects of Price-Comparison Advertising on Buyers' Perceptions of Acquisition Value, Transaction Value, and Behavioral Intentions," Journal of Marketing, Vol.62, No.2(1998), pp.46-59.
- Gupta, O.K., S. Tandon, S. Debnath, and A.S. Rominger, "Package Downsizing : Is It Ethical?," AI and Society, Vol.21, No.3(2007), pp.239-250. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00146-006-0056-3
- Hamilton, R.W. and J. Srivastava, "When 2+2 Is Not the Same as 1+3 : Variation in Price Sensitivity Across Components of Partitioned Prices," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.45, No.4(2008), pp.450-461.. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkr.45.4.450
- Heath, T.B., S. Chatterjee and K.R. France, "Mental Accounting and Changes in Price : The Frame Dependence of Reference Dependence," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 22, No.1(1995), pp.90-97. https://doi.org/10.1086/209437
- Jacoby, J. and L. Kaplan, "The Components of Perceived Risk," Proceedings from 3rd Annual Conference of the Association for Consumer Research, Vol.3, No.3(1972), pp. 382-393.
- Janiszewski, C. and D.R. Lichtenstein, "A Range Theory Account of Price Perception," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol.25, No.4 (1999), pp.353-368. https://doi.org/10.1086/209544
- Kachersky, L., "Reduce Content or Raise Price? The Impact of Persuasion Knowledge and Unit Price Increase Tactics on Retailer and Product Brand Attitudes," Journal of Retailing, Vol.87, No.4(2011), pp.479-488. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jretai.2011.08.001
- Kahneman, D. and A. Tversky, "Prospect Theory : An Analysis of Decision Under Risk," Econometrica : Journal of the Econometric Society, Vol.47, No.2(1979), pp.263-291. https://doi.org/10.2307/1914185
- Krishna, A., R.A. Briesch, D.R. Lehmann and H. Yuan, "A Meta-Analysis of the Impact of Price Presentation on Perceived Savings," Journal of Retailing, Vol.78, No.2 (2002), pp.101-118. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4359(02)00072-6
- Lee, M. and K. Suk, "Disambiguating the Role of Ambiguity in Perceptual Assimilation and Contrast Effects," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol.36, No.5(2010), pp.890-897. https://doi.org/10.1086/605299
- Mazumdar, T. and P. Papatla, "An Investigation of Reference Price Segments," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.37, No.2 (2000), pp.246-258. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkr.126.96.36.19927
- Mazumdar, T., S.P. Raj, and I. Sinha, "Reference Price Research : Review and Propositions," Journal of Marketing, Vol.69, No.4 (2005), pp.84-102.
- Niedrich, R.W., S. Sharma and D.H. Wedell, "Reference Price and Price Perceptions : A Comparison of Alternative Models," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol.28, No.3(2001), pp.339-354. https://doi.org/10.1086/323726
- Tan, S.J., "Strategies for Reducing Consumers' Risk Aversion in Internet Shopping," Journal of Consumer Marketing, Vol.16, No.2 (1999), pp.163-180. https://doi.org/10.1108/07363769910260515
- Thaler, R., "Mental Accounting and Consumer Choice," Marketing Science, Vol.4, No.3 (1985), pp.199-214. https://doi.org/10.1287/mksc.4.3.199