- Volume 52 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Study on Polyhydroxyamide/Carbon Nanotube Nanocomposite Fibers
폴리히드록시아미드/CNT 나노복합체 섬유에 대한 연구
Jee, Min Ho;Kang, Chan Sol;Yeo, Moon Jin;Baik, Doo Hyun
- Received : 2015.11.10
- Accepted : 2015.12.02
- Published : 2015.12.31
Polyhydroxyamide (PHA) was synthesized by low-temperature solution polymerization of 3,3'-dihydroxybenzidine and terephthaloyl chloride. Then, pure PHA and PHA nanocomposite fibers, including multi-walled carbon nanotube (MWNT), were prepared by a wet-spinning process. The structural characteristics, thermal properties, and mechanical performances, such as tensile strength, initial modulus, and compressive strength, of the PHA fibers were investigated using FT-IR, TGA, and a tensile testing machine. The TGA results show that the PHA fiber has excellent thermal stability at high temperatures and can undergo thermal cyclization to yield PBO fiber. The tensile mechanical properties of PHA nanocomposite fibers were better than those of pure PHA fiber, and they were improved on increasing the MWNT content. The highly improved mechanical properties of the nanocomposite fibers are thought to be related to the strong interfacial interactions between the PHA matrix and MWNT.
polyhydroxyamide fiber;multi-walled carbon nanotube;wet-spinning;mechanical properties
- C. Gao and S. W. Kantor, "Synthesis of Precursor Flame Suppressing Polymers", 54th eds., Spring SPE Meeting in Indianapolis in May, 1996, 3, 3072-3073.
- H. Hsiao and C. H. Yu, "Aromatic Polybenzoxazoles Bearing Ether and Isopropylidene or Hexafluoroisopropylidene Units in the Main Chain", Macromol. Chem. Phys., 1998, 199, 1247-1253. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1521-3935(19980701)199:7<1247::AID-MACP1247>3.0.CO;2-Y
- H. Zhang, R. J. Farris, and P. R. Westmoreland, "Low Flammability and Decomposition Behavior of Poly(3,3'-dihydroxybiphenyl isophthalamide) and Its Derivatives", Macromolecules, 2003, 36, 3944-3954. https://doi.org/10.1021/ma021764x
- S. H. Hsiao and L. R. Dai, "Synthesis and Properties of Novel Aromatic Poly(o-hydroxyamide)s and Polybenzoxazoles Based on the Bis(ether benzoyl chloride)s from Hydroquinone and Its Methyl-tert-Butyl-, and Phenyl-Substituted Derivatives", J. Polym. Sci. Part A: Polym. Chem., 1999, 37, 2129-2136. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-0518(19990701)37:13<2129::AID-POLA28>3.0.CO;2-O
- D. H. Baik, E. K. Kim, and M. K. Kim, "Praparation of New Heat-resistant Fiber Materials Using Polymeric Precursors to Polybenzoxazoles(I)-Synthesis and Thermal Cyclization of PHA Derivatives-", J. Korean Fiber Soc., 2003, 40, 13-19.
- M. H. Jee, M. J. Paik, C. S. Kang, and D. H. Baik, "Synthesis and Thermal Cyclization of Aromatic Polyhydroxyamides(II) -Effect of Fluoro-substituents-", Text. Sci. Eng., 2013, 50, 308-314. https://doi.org/10.12772/TSE.2013.50.308
- D. H. Baik, H. Y. Kim, and S. W. Kantor, "Synthesis and Cyclization of Aromatic Polyhydroxyamides Containing Trifluoromethyl Groups", Fiber. Polym., 2002, 3, 91-96. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02892623
- C. S. Kang, M. J. Paik, C. W. Park, and D. H. Baik, "Synthesis and Characterization of Polyhydroxyamide Copolymer as Precursors of Polybenzoxazoles", Fiber. Polym., 2015, 16, 239-244. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12221-015-0239-y
- S. K. Park, S. H. Cho, and R. J. Farris, "Dry-jet Wet Spinning of Polyhydroxyamide Fibers", Fiber. Polym., 2000, 1, 92-96. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02875191
- H. Wang and T. S. Chung, "The Evolution of Physicochemical and Gas Transport Properties of Thermally Rearranged Polyhdroxyamide (PHA)", J. Membr. Sci., 2011, 385-386, 86-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.memsci.2011.09.023
- S. L. C. Hsu and W. C. Chen, "A Novel Positive Photosensitive Polybenzoxazole Precursor for Microelectronic Applications", Polymer, 2002, 43, 6746-6750.
- G. M. Wu and C. H. Hung, "Mechanical Properties and Thermogravimetric Analysis of PBO Thin Films", J. Ach. Mater. Manufac. Eng., 2006, 17, 27-32.
- S. Bourbigot, X. Flambard, and F. Poutch, "Study of the Thermal Degradation of High Performance Fibres-Application to Polybenzoxazole and p-Aramid Fibres", Polym. Degrad. Stab., 2001, 74, 283-290. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-3910(01)00159-8
- C. S. Kang, M. H. Jee, and D. H. Baik, "Effect of Wet-Spinning and Heat-Treatment on the Structure and Mechanical Properties of Polyhydroxyamide Fibers(I)-Coagulation Behavior at Various Coagulation Conditions", Text. Sci. Eng., 2013, 50, 217-224. https://doi.org/10.12772/TSE.2013.50.217
- M. H. Jee, J. Y. Lee, and D. H. Baik, "Synthesis and Thermal Cyclization of Aromatic Polyhdroxuamies(I)-Effect of the Benzene Ring Substitution Structure-", Text. Sci. Eng., 2012, 49, 324-330. https://doi.org/10.12772/TSE.2012.49.5.324
- T. Zhang, J. Jin, S. Yang, G. Li, and J. Jiang, "A Rigid-rod Dihydroxy Poly(p-phenylene benzobisoxazole) Fiber with Improved Compressive Strength", Carbohydr. Polym., 2009, 78, 364-366. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbpol.2009.03.043
- A. Leal, J. M. Deitzel, and J. W. Gillespie, "Compressive Strength Analysis for High Performance Fibers with Different Modulus in Tension and Compression", J. Compos. Mater., 2009, 43, 661-674. https://doi.org/10.1177/0021998308088589
- G. H. Jang, B. G. Min, Y. G. Jeong, and K. H. Yoon, "Improved Compressive Strength of Poly(p-phenylene benzobisoxazole) Copolymer Fiber Containing Multi-functional Comonomer", Fiber. Polym., 2014, 15, 895-898. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12221-014-0895-3
- S. Kumar, T. D. Dang, F. E. Arnold, A. R. Bhattacharyya, B. G. Min, X. Zhang, R. A. Vaia, C. Park, W. W. Adams, R. H. Hauge, R. E. Smalley, S. Ramesh, and P. A. Willis, "Synthesis, Structure, and Properties of PBO/SWNT Composites", Macromolecules, 2002, 35, 9039-9043. https://doi.org/10.1021/ma0205055
- Thermal Cyclization Behavior of Polyhydroxyamide Copolymers vol.53, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12772/TSE.2016.53.340
Supported by : 충남대학교