- Volume 52 Issue 6
This paper reports the preparation of CF/PA6 (Polyamide 6) laminate composites using tow-spreading technology. Additionally, the effect of the spread tow on impregnation was investigated by Darcy's law. The thickness of an unspread 12K carbon fiber tow was reduced by increasing the tow width from 7 to 20 mm. The PA6 film was used to stabilize and impregnate the spread tow by covering it with a partially consolidated prepreg:12K carbon fiber spread tow/PA6 film. The laminate composites were fabricated from the prepreg and, for comparison, the other laminate composite was produced from a conventional tow prepreg of 12K carbon fiber/PA6 film. Consequently, the spread tow laminate composite exhibited a lower void content and improved mechanical properties.
carbon fiber;polyamide 6;spread tow;prepreg;laminate;thermoplastic composite
- S. W. Shin, R. Y. Kim, K. Kawabe, and S. W. Tsai, "Experimental Studies of Thin-ply Laminated Composites", Compos. Sci. Tech., 2007, 67, 996-1008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compscitech.2006.06.008
- J. U. Roh and W. I. Lee, "Review : Continuous Fiber Tow Spreading Technologies and Its Applications", J. Korean Soc. Compos. Mat., 2013, 26, 155-159.
- T. W. Kim, E. J. Jun, M. K. Um, and W. I. Lee, "A Study on the Effect of Pressure on the Resin Impregnation of Fiber Bundles", J. Korean Soc. Compos. Mat., 1988, 1, 67-72.
- I. L. Chang and J. K. Lee, "Recent Development in Thermoplastic Composites: A Review of Matrix Systems and Processing Methods", J. Thermoplast. Compos., 1988, 1, 277-296. https://doi.org/10.1177/089270578800100305
- M. H. EL-Dessouky and C. A. Lawrence, "Ultra-lightweight Carbon Fiber/thermoplastic Composite Material Using Spread Tow Technology", Compos. Part B, 2013, 50, 91-97. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2013.01.026
- R. Y. Kim and S. R. Soni, "Experimental and Analytical Studies on the Onset of Delamination in Laminated Composites", J. Compos. Mater., 1984, 18, 70-80. https://doi.org/10.1177/002199838401800106
- B. T. Rodini, Jr. and J. R. Eisenmann, "An Analytical and Experimental Investigation of Edge Delamination in Composite Laminates", Fibr. Compos. Struct. Desig., 1980, 1, 441-457.
- A. S. D. Wang and F. W. Crossman, "Initiation and Growth of Transverse Crack and Edge Delamination in Composite Laminate : Part 1, An Energy Method", J. Compos. Mater., 1980, 14, 88-108. https://doi.org/10.1177/002199838001400107
- M. S. Irfan, V. R. Machavaram, R. S. Mahendran, N. Shotton-Gale, C. F. Wait, M. A. Paget, and M. A. Hudson, "Lateral Spreading of a Fiber Bundle via Mechanical Means", J. Compos. Mater., 2012, 46, 311-330. https://doi.org/10.1177/0021998311424624
- B. Henk and J. G. Reinoud, "Impregnation of Glass Rovings with a Polyamide Melt, Part 1 : Impregnation Bath", Compos. Manuf., 1993, 4, 85-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/0956-7143(93)90075-J
연구 과제 주관 기관 : 한국산업기술평가관리원