- Volume 9 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Accuracy Evaluation of Respiratory Air Flow Transducer for Artificial Ventilation
인공호흡시 호흡기류 계측 센서의 정확도 평가
Lee, In-Kwang;Park, Mi-Jung;Kim, Kyoung-Ok;Shin, Eun-Young;Shon, Ho-Sun;Cha, Eun-Jong;Kim, Kyung-Ah
- Received : 2015.08.23
- Accepted : 2015.12.25
- Published : 2015.12.31
Measurement accuracy was evaluated for the respiratory air flow transducer developed for applications under emergent situations. Pressure-Flow calibration equation was obtained by acquisition of air flow signals from the transducer in response to 6 flow waveforms, similar to those of artificial ventilation, generated by the standard flow generator system. Tidal volume and maximal flow rate were calculated on the flow signal then compared with the error-free data obtained by the linear displacement transducer of the flow generator system. Mean relative error of the tidal volume was within 3% and that of the maximal flow rate, approximately 5%, demonstrating accurate enough measurements. Therefore, the transducer could be applied to emergent situations to monitor the respiratory air flow signal as well as diagnostic parameters in real time.
artificial ventilation;respiratory air flow transducer;tidal volume;maximal respiratory air flow rate
- Lauralee S, "Human Physiology", Life Science Publishing Co., U. S. A., pp.413-416, 2005.
- Lauralee S, "Human Physiology", Life Science Publishing Co., U. S. A., pp.417-423, 2005.
- Hwang SO, "Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Advanced Cardiovascular Life support", Gunja, Korea, pp.8-11, 2006.
- Jeong SY, "Development of an evaluation tool for the quality of critical care nursing in medical intensive care unit", Korea University, Korea, pp.13-20. 2010.
- American Thoracic Society Committee on Dyspnea, "An official American Thoracic Society statement: Update on the mechanism, assessment, and management of dyspnea", Am J Respir Cirt Care Med, Vol. 185, pp.435-452, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.201111-2042ST
- Rietzel E, Chen G, "Improving retrospective sorting of 4D computed tomography data", Med Phys, Vol. 33, No. 2, pp.377-379, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1118/1.2150780
- Mutaf YD, Antolak JA, Brinkmann DH, "The impact of temporal inaccuracies on 4DCT image quality", Med Phys, Vol. 34, No. 5, pp.1615-1622, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1118/1.2717404
- Seo JM, Park MH, Shim JK, Kim CH, Park CS, Kim KK, Cho JH, "Statistical study on respiratory signal analysis according to patient position and device in radiation therapy", Journal of the Korean Society of Radiology, Vol. 5, No. 4, pp.179-187, 2011. https://doi.org/10.7742/jksr.2011.5.4.179
- Alasdair JM, David F, Philip MJW, Chris M, Anne S, "Lightweight physiologic sensor performance during pre-hospital care delivered by ambulance clinicians", Journal of Clinical Monitoring and Computing, Published online, 2015.
- Wik L, Kramer-Johnsen J, Myklebust H, Sorebo H, Svensson L, Fellows B, "Quality of cardiopulmonary resuscitation during out-of hospital cardiac arrest", JAMA, Vol. 293, No. 3, pp.299-304, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.293.3.299
- Lee SW, Kim TY, Rhee JE, Kim KS, Jo YH, Lee JH, "Short-term outcomes of the combination of vasopressin and epinephrine versus epinephrine alone for out-of-hospital cardiac arrest: A prospective observational study", Journal of the Korean society of emergency medicine, Vol. 20, No.1(No. 73), pp.26-33, pp.1226-4334, 2009.
- Emiliano S, Carlo M, Paola S, Stefano C, "Flow measurement in mechanical ventilation" A review", Medical Engineering & Physics, Vol. 37, No. 3, pp.257-264, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.medengphy.2015.01.010
- Russold E, Ambrisko TD, Schramel JP, Auer U, Van Den Hoven R, Moens YP, "Measurement of tidal volume using respiratory ultrasonic plethysmography in anaesthetized, mechanically ventilated horses", Veterinary Anaesthesia and Analgesia, Vol. 40, No. 1, pp.48-54, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-2995.2012.00751.x
- Mohammad AA, Vahid RN, Foad F, "Extrapolation of calibration curve of hot-wire spirometer using a novel neural network based approach", Journal of Medical Signals & Sensors, Vol. 2, No. 4, pp.185-191, 2012.
- Lee IK, "Air flow transducer for respiratory monitoring during pre-hospital cardiopulmonary resuscitation", Chungbuk National University, Korea, pp.13-18, 2011.
- Kim KA, Lee IK, Lee YM, Yu H, Kim YI, Han SH, Cha EJ, "Respiratory air flow transducer application to cardiopulmonary resuscitation procedure", The transactions of the Korean Institute of Electrical Engineers, Vol. 62, No. 6, pp833-839, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5370/KIEE.2013.62.6.833
- Dean RH, Robert MK, "Essential of mechanical ventilation", Gunja, Korea, 2005.
- Kim KA, "Non-homogeneous velocity sampling technique to measure respiratory air flow rate", Chungbuk National University, Korea, pp.3-15, 2001.
- Shin JC, "Basic fluid mechanic", Guminas, Korea, pp.173-174, 2000.
- Lee IK, Han SW, Han JS, Jung JK, Kim DK, Cha EJ, Kim KA, "Flow-pressure characteristics of respiratory transducer for emergent patient", Journal of KIPS, Vol. 16, No. 1, 2011.
- Scott DK, MIchael AER, "Respiratory rate monitoring: Characterizing performance for emerging technologies", Anesthesia & Analgesia, Vol. 119, No. 6, pp.1246-1248, 2015.
- American Thoracic Society, "Standardization of spirometer", Am J Respir Crit Care Med, Vol. 152, pp.1107-1136, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1164/ajrccm.152.3.7663792
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea(NRF)