- Volume 9 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Radiation Exposure Evaluation Depending on Radiation Workers' Locations during Dental Radiography
치과방사선 검사 시 방사선작업종사자의 위치에 따른 방사선 노출 평가
Jeong, Cheonsoo;Kim, Jiyoung
- Received : 2015.09.10
- Accepted : 2015.12.25
- Published : 2015.12.31
To evaluate the radiation exposure level based on radiation workers' locations in dental radiography, the radiation dose rate in the radiographic room, lead glass, and operation system was measured. To that end, various devices were used, such as a Standard(Max-GLS, Shinhung), a panorama (PCH-2500, Vatech), a cephalometric radiography (PCH-2500), and a cone beam CT (PHT-30LFO, Vatech), as well as a PM1405 equipment as a radiation meter. Radiography conditions were set the same as the factors used in the clinical setting. As the result, the cone beam CT turned out the highest with 98 uSv and the standard showed the lowest level with 0.4 uSv/h. The panorama was measured to be higher than the Cephalo due to its different focus mode. On the lead glass surface and in the operation stand, the oral radiography device, panoramic, and Cephalo all were measured below the recording level. However, the cone beam CT was measured to have the leakage dose. Thus, radiation involved workers should be equipped with appropriate protection tools and reduce radiography time as much as possible. In addition, the structure of the radiation chamber should be also designed efficiently. Dental radiography has continued to grow in recent years, so it is necessary take appropriate protection measures for patients and radiation workers.
Radiation workers;Dental Radiation;Leakage dose
- Kim SY, Park SM, "Medical Device Market Research Report", Korea Health Industry Development Institute, Vol. 1, pp. 1-40, 2013.
- Choi YJ, Kweon SJ, "A Study on Dental Patients' Knowledge and Attitude about the Implant Denture - Focused on South Gyeongnam Province", South Korea, The Korean journal of health service management, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 53-62, 2011.
- Kim KP, "Radiation Exposure of Korean Population from Medical Diagnostic Examination", Ministry of Food and Drug Safty, pp. 127-206, 2013.
- Jeong BS, "The Analysis of factor influencing on radiation safety management behavior in dental hygienists", Mater thesis, Incheon Univ., 2013.
- Kweon DC, Dong KR, Jeong JE, et al, "A Literature Review and Analysis of Dosimetry in Panoramic Radiography", Journal of radiological science and technology, Vol. 33, No. 1, pp. 1-6, 2010.
- Oh YJ, Hong GR, Lee SM, "Study on the Exposure Field of Head and Neck with Measurement of X-ray dose Distribution for Dental Panoramic X-ray System", J. Korean Soc. Radiol, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 18-20, 2015.
- ICRP Publication 60, "Radiation protection", pp. 68, 1990.
- Kang JK, Jeong CY, Ju SK, "Absorbed dose of major tissue as brain radiation exam", Journal of The Korean Radiological Technologists Association, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 278-282, 1999.
- Kim BS, Choi KS, Kim CS, "Distribution of Absorbed Doses to the Important Organs of Head and Neck Region in Panoramic Radiography", Korean J. Maxillofac. Radiol, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 253-264, 1990.
- Cho BH, Nah KS, Lee, AR, "Equivalent Dose, Effective Dose and Risk Assessment from Panoramic Radiography to the Critical Organs of Head and Neck Region", Korean J. Oral Maxillofac. Radiol, Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 437-445, 1995.
- Choi SC, Choi HM, "Absorbed Dose in the Full mouth Periapical Radiography, Panoramic Radiography, and Zonography", Korean J. Oral Maxillofac. Radiol, Vol. 29, No. 1, pp. 255-260, 1999.
- F Gijbels, R Jacobs, R Bogaerts, et al, "Dosimetry of digital panoramic imaging. Part I: patient exposure", Dentomaxillofacial Radiology, Vol. 34, pp. 145-149, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1259/dmfr/28107460
- Lee GS, Kim JS, Seo YS, et al, "Effective dose from direct and indirect digital panoramic units", Imaging Science in Dentistry, Vol. 43, pp. 77-84, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5624/isd.2013.43.2.77
- Park IW, Jeung WK, Hwang HS, "A Study on the Patient Exposure Doses from the Panoramic Radiography using Dentistry", Journal of the Korean Society of Radiology, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 17-24, 2013. https://doi.org/10.7742/jksr.2013.7.1.017
- E Moudi, S Haghanifar, H Hadian, et al, "Assessment of radiation exposure of Head and Neck during panoramic radiography in different age groups", Science Journal of Clinical Medicine, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 10-14, 2014. https://doi.org/10.11648/j.sjcm.20140301.13