- Volume 29 Issue 1
The incidence of fires caused by electrical factors has increased with the growth in domestic electrical consumption. According to the national fire data system of national emergency management agency, electrical fires accounted for 20% of all domestic fires in the last 10 years. Electrical fires are mainly caused by short circuit, leakage current, defect in an electrical equipment, over load, utility fault, etc. The fault current can be several times larger than the nominal current, thereby exceeding the rated current of cable. Consequently, the cable conductor, typically copper wire, heats up to a temperature that ignites surrounding combustibles. This paper describes the transient characteristics of the 0.6/1kV, TFR-8 cable have been investigated, and analyzed under the over current conditions for reduce the risk of electrical fire by experimental and FEM analysis. The experimental and FEM(Finite Element Method) analysis results of temperature and resistance variation according to the over current in copper wires were analyzed. The experimental results coincide well with the FEM analysis.
Electrical Fire;Over Current;Fault Current;Cable
- National Emergency Management Agency, "National Fire Data System," http://www.nfds.go.kr.
- S. C. Kim, J. Y. Kim, and K. S. Bang, "Experiemntal study of fire characteristics of a tray flame retardant cable," Journal of the Korean Society of Safety, vol. 28, no. 3, pp.39-43, 2013. https://doi.org/10.14346/JKOSOS.2013.28.3.039
- H. K. Kim, D. O. Kim, and C. S. Choi, "Thermal characteristics analysis of PVC insulated flexible cords deteriorated according to over current," KIFSE Autumn Annual Conference, vol.2003, no.10, pp.105-111, 2003.
- S. H. Hong, and M. S. Choi, "A experimental study on the fire hazard analysis for communication cable in buildings", Journal of the Korean Society of Safety, vol. 26, no. 6, pp.20-25, 2011.
- S. M. Park, W. H. Kim, and M. O. Yoon, "Experiments on the behavior of underground utility cable in fire", Journal of Korean Institute of Fire Science Engineering, vol. 16, no. 2, pp.75-80. 2002.
- H. P. Kim, H. R. Kim, Y. J. Park, and S. S. Keum, "A study on the flame retardancy according to the aging of power cables", KIFSE Autumn Annual Conference,, vol. 2010, no. 10, pp.358-361, 2010.
- S. H. Lee, J. S. Kim, and H. S. Oh, "A study on the identification of electrical fire focused on distance analysis of electrical wires by overcurrent", Journal of Korean Institute of Fire Science Engineering, vol. 18, no. 2, pp.7-11, 2004.
- C. J. Kim, Y. H. Rho, "Characterization of spark signal of electric fire", KIEEE Autumn Annual Conference, vol. 1997, pp.55-59, 1997.
- S. H. Lee, and H. S. Oh "A study on the electrical fire analysis in overcurrent of low voltage wiring", Journal of the Korean Institute of Illuminating and Electrical Installation Engineers, vol. 18, no. 3, pp.142-148, 2004.