- Volume 29 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Design and Behavior of Validating Surge Protective Devices in Extra-low Voltage DC Power Lines
특별저전압 직류 전원회로에 유용한 서지방호장치의 설계와 특성
Shim, Seo-Hyun;Lee, Bok-Hee
- Received : 2014.12.19
- Accepted : 2015.01.14
- Published : 2015.03.31
In order to effectively protect electrical and electronic circuits which are extremely susceptible to lightning surges, multi-stage surge protection circuits are required. This paper presents the operational characteristics of the two-stage hybrid surge protection circuit in extra-low voltage DC power lines. The hybrid surge protective device consists of the gas discharge tube, transient voltage suppressor, and series inductor. The response characteristics of the proposed hybrid surge protective device to combination waves were investigated. As a result, the proposed two-stage surge protective device to combination wave provides the tight clamping level of less than 50V. The firing of the gas discharge tube to lightning surges depends on the de-coupling inductance and the rate-of-change of the current flowing through the transient voltage suppressor. The coordination between the upstream and downstream components of the hybrid surge protective device was satisfactorily achieved. The inductance of a de-coupler in surge protective circuits for low-voltage DC power lines, relative to a resistance, is sufficiently effective. The voltage drop and power loss due to the proposed surge protective device are ignored during normal operation of the systems.
Surge Protective Device(SPD);Two-stage Hybrid SPD;Energy Coordination;De-coupler;Gas Discharge Tube;Transient Voltage Suppressor;Combination Wave
- Korea Electric Association ; Korea Electro-Technical Commission Guidance - Technical Guide for Selection and Application of Surge Protective Devices in Low-Voltage Power Systems, pp.10-27, 2011.
- B. H Lee and H. K Shin, "Energy coordination of cascaded voltage limiting type surge protective devices", J. KIIEE, Vol.27, No.2, pp.29-35, 2013.
- B. H Lee and H. K Shin, "Protection Characteristics of Two-Stage Cascaded SPD Systems", J. KIIEE, Vol.27, No.5, pp.95-105, 2013.
- KS C IEC 60364-5-53; Electrical Installations of Building - Part 5-53: Selection and erection of electrical equipment - Isolation, switching and control, pp.4-10, 2005.
- KS C IEC 62305-4; Protection against lightning - Part 4: Electrical and electronic systems within structures, pp. 80-89, 2010.
- IEC 61643-22; Low-voltage surge protective devices - Part 22 : Surge protective devices connected to telecommunications and signalling networks - Selection and application principles, pp.27-49, 2004.
- The Study Committee of IEIEJ, "Lightning Protection for Electrical and Electronic equipment", IEIEJ, pp.265-276, 2011.
- B. H. Lee and S. C. Lee, " Protection of Information and Communication Facilities against Lightning", Department of publication of Inha University, pp.112-115, 130-146, 2004.
- R. B. Standler, "Protection of Electronic Circuits from Overvoltages, John Wiley & Sons, pp. 111-113, 1989.
- KS C IEC 61000-4-5; Electromagnetic compatibility(EMC) - Part 4-5 : Testing and measurement techniques - Surge immunity test, pp.6-9, 2008.
- IEEE C62.45, IEEE Recommended Practice on Surge Test for Equipment Connected to Low-Voltage (1000V and less) AC Power Circuits, pp.27-36, 2002.
- KS C IEC 61643-12; Low-voltage surge protective devices - Part 12: Surge protective devices connected to low-voltage power distribution systems-Part 12: Selection and Application principles, pp. 21-48, 2010.
- B. H. Lee and H. K. Shin, "Energy coordination of cascaded voltage limiting type surge protective devices", J. KIIEE, Vol.27, No.2, pp.29-35, 2013.