- Volume 29 Issue 4
This paper presents experimental results obtained from actual installation conditions of surge protective devices (SPDs), with the aim of understanding the coordination of cascaded Class I and Class II SPDs. This paper also proposes effective methods for selecting and installing coordinating cascaded SPDs. The residual voltage of each SPD and the energy sharing of an upstream Class I tested SPD and a downstream Class II tested SPD were measured using a
Lightning Surge;Surge Protective Device;Coordinated SPD Systems;Energy Sharing;Voltage Protection Level
- H. K. Shin, D. S. Kim, Y. K. Chung, and B. H. Lee, "Energy coordination of ZnO varistor based SPDs in surge current due to direct lightning flashes", Proc. 2014 ICLP, pp.1342-1346, 2014.
- J. S. Lai and F. D Martzloff, "Coordinating Cascaded Surge Protection Devices: High-Low verse Low-High", IEEE Trans., IA, Vol. 29, No.4, pp.680-687, 1993.
- J. He, Z. Yuan, J. Xu, S. Chen, J. Zou, and R. Zeng, "Evaluation of the effective protection distance of low-voltage SPD to equipment", IEEE Trans., PD, Vol.20, No.1. pp.123-130, 2005.
- I. A. Metwally and F. H. Heidler, "Enhancement of the SPD Residual Voltage at Apparatus Terminals in Low-Voltage Power Systems", IEEE Trans. PD., Vol. 22, No. 4, pp.2207-2213, 2007.
- J. He, Z. Yuan, S. Wang, J. Hu, S. Chen, and R Zeng, "Effective Protection Distances of Low-Voltage SPD with Different Voltage Protection Levels", IEEE Trans. PD, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp.187-195, 2010.
- KS C IEC 62305-4; Protection against lightning - Part 4: Electrical and electronic systems within structures, pp. 80-89, 2010.
- N. Kokkinos and I. Cotton, "Energy vs Voltage Coordination of Surge Protective Devices", Proc. 29th ICLP, 6c-2-1-24, 2008.
- B. H. Lee and S. C. Lee, Protection of Information and Communication Facilities against Lightning, The Publishing Department of Inha University, pp.26-29 pp.128-150, 2004.
- R. B. Standler, Protection of Electronic Circuits from Overvoltages, John Wiley & Sons, pp.138-140, 1989.
- H. K. Shin, "Protection coordination of ZnO varistor based SPDs", Ph.D dissertation, Inha University, Korea, pp.47-48, 2014.
- KS C IEC 61643-12; Low-Voltage surge protective devices - Part 12 : Surge protective devices connected to low-voltage power distribution systems - Selection and Application principles, pp.21-48, 2010.
- KS C IEC 60364-5-53; Electrical installations of buildings - Part 5-53 : Selection and erection of electrical equipment - Isolation, switching and control, pp.6-10, 2005.
- KS C IEC 61643-11; Surge protective devices connected to low-voltage power systems - Part 11: Requirement and test methods, pp.16-19, 2009.
- F. D Martzloff, "The Propagation and Attenuation of Surge Voltages and Surge Currents in Low-Voltage AC Power Circuits", IEEE Trans., Vol.PAS-102, No. 5, May 1983.
- B. H. Lee, H. K. Shin, "Energy Coordination of Cascaded Voltage Limiting Type Surge Protective Devices", J. KIIEE, Vol. 27, No. 2, pp.29-35, 2013.
- H. K. Shin, B. H. Lee, "Protection Characteristic of Two-Srage Cascaded SPD Systems", KIIEE, Vol. 27, No. 5, pp.95-103, 2013.
- The Study Committee of IEIEJ, Lightning Protection for Electrical and Electronic Equipment, IEIEJ, pp.265-270, 2011.