- Volume 29 Issue 5
In this paper, we studied an optimal design and efficiency improvement of the BLCD motor used in home electronic appliance. The number of stator slots is chosen depending on the rotor poles, phase number, and the winding configuration. In general, a fractional slots/pole design is preferred to minimize cogging torque. To reduce the winding resistance, we reduced the coil length and we improved the coil space factor. We proposed three types of stator slot shape design for the optimal BLDC motor design. One of them, U-type slot shape is a best optimal design, it proved by the simulated and tested. Optimal design of essential parameters aiming at high winding factor are presented to create for a high-quality system implementation. Design analysis is verified by testing and building a prototype motor.
BLDC Motor;Stator Slot Design;Motor Design Simulation;U-Type Slot Shape
- Byeong-Ho Jeong, A Study on Stator Slot Design for the High Efficiency BLDC Motor, Journal of Advanced Engineering and Technology, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 73-78, Dec. 2013.
- Jung-Moo Seo, Jung-Hwan Kim, Se-Hyun Rhyu, Jun-Hyuk Choi, and In-Soung Jung, A Study on Brushless DC Motor for High Torque Density, World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, Vol. 58, pp 896-900, Oct. 2011.
- B. P. Amuliu, K. Ali, F. Ahmed, L. Wenzhe, D. Min, Analytical model for permanent magnet motors with surface mounted magnets, IEEE Trans. on energy Conversion, Vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 386-391, Sep. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2003.815829
- Taro Genda, Ismet Rahmad Kartono, Makoto Yoneda, "Basic Performance of Inset Type PMSM", ICEMS, 18th international conference, pp.1-6, 2008.
- Wang, J., Atallah, K., Zhu, Z.Q., Howe, D. Modular three-phase permanent-magnet brushless machines for in-wheel applications. IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol. Vol. 57, pp. 2714-2720, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2007.914476
- Chung, S. U., Kim, J. M., Koo, D. H., Woo, B. C., Hong, D. K., Lee, J. Y. Fractional slot concentrated winding permanent magnet synchronous machine with consequent pole rotor for low speed direct drive. IEEE Trans. Magn. Vol. 48, pp. 2965-2968, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2012.2196417
- Ishak, D., Zhu, Z.Q., Howe, D. Permanent-magnet brushless machines with unequal tooth widths and similar slot and pole numbers. IEEE Trans. Ind. Vol. 41, pp. 584-590, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2005.844380
- C-E KI\im, M-H Jeon, Optimum Design of BLDC Motor Magnet Using Genetic Algorithm and Response Surface Method, Journal of the Korean Institute of IIIuminating and Electrical Installation Engineers Vol. 18. No. 6, pp. 152-157, 2004. https://doi.org/10.5207/JIEIE.2004.18.6.152
- Lee, K. S., Kim, K. Y. and Samad, A.. Design optimization of low-speed axial flow fan blade with three-dimensional RANS analysis, Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol. 22, pp.1864-1869, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-008-0724-y
- Tae-Kyung Chung, A Study on the Desing of BLDC Motor Replacing Ferrite Magnet with Rare Earth Magnet, Journal of the Korean Institute of IIIuminating and Electrical Installation Engineers Vol. 22. No.4, pp. 121-129, 2008. https://doi.org/10.5207/JIEIE.2008.22.4.121
- Jun-Hee Han, Su-Min Kang, Tea-Uk Jung, Economical Design of BLDC Pump Motor for Washing Machine, The Korean Institute of IIIuminating and Electrical Installation Engineers, 2012 Spring Conference, pp. 243-245, 2012.