- Volume 29 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Development of an Algorithm for Detecting High Impedance Fault in Low Voltage DC Distribution System using Accumulated Energy of Fault Current
고장전류의 누적 에너지를 이용한 저압직류 배전계통의 고저항 지락고장 검출 알고리즘 개발
Oh, Yun-Sik;Noh, Chul-Ho;Kim, Doo-Ung;Gwon, Gi-Hyeon;Han, Joon;Kim, Chul-Hwan
- Received : 2015.01.05
- Accepted : 2015.02.27
- Published : 2015.05.29
Recently, new Low Voltage DC (LVDC) power distribution systems have been constantly researched as uses of DC in end-user equipment are increased. As in conventional AC distribution system, High Impedance Fault (HIF) which may cause a failure of protective relay can occur in LVDC distribution system as well. It, however, is hard to be detected since change in magnitude of current due to the fault is too small to detect the fault by the protective relay using overcurrent element. In order to solve the problem, this paper presents an algorithm for detecting HIF using accumulated energy in LVDC distribution system. Wavelet Singular Value Decomposition (WSVD) is used to extract abnormal high frequency components from fault current and accumulated energy of high frequency components is considered as the element to detect the fault. LVDC distribution system including AC/DC and DC/DC converter is modeled to verify the proposed algorithm using ElectroMagnetic Transient Program (EMTP) software. Simulation results considering various conditions show that the proposed algorithm can be utilized to effectively detect HIF.
Accumulated Energy;EMTP;High Impedance Fault;LVDC Distribution System;WSVD
- D. Salomonsson and A. Sannino, "Low-voltage dc distribution system for commercial power systems with sensitive lectronic loads," IEEE Transaction on Power Delivery, vol. 22, no.3, pp. 1620-1627, Jul. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2006.883024
- D. Nilsson and A. Sannino, "Efficiency analysis of lowand medium-voltage dc distribution systems," IEEE PES General Meeting, 2004.
- Detection of High Impedance Faults, Power Technologies Inc., EPRI Report EL-2413, Jun. 1982.
- A. Mamishev et al., "Analysis of high impedance faults using fractal techniques", IEEE Transactions on Power System, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 435-440, Feb. 1996. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.486130
- C. H. Kim et al., "A Novel Fault-Detection Technique of High-Impedance Arcing Faults in Transmission Lines using the Wavelet Transform", IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 921-929, Oct., 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2002.803780
- Suresh Gautam et al., "Detection of High Impedance Fault in Power Distribution Systems using Mathematical Morphology", IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 1226-1234, May, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2012.2215630
- Hyun Kim, Chul-Hwan Kim, "High Impedance Fault Detection using Wavelet Transform", vol. 48A, no. 12, pp. 1492-1497, Dec., 1999.
- Detection of Arcing Faults on Distribution Feeders, Texas A&M Univ., EPRI Report EL-2757, Dec., 1982.
- N. Elkalashy et al., "DWT-based detection and transient power direction-based location of high-impedance faults due to leaning trees in unearthed MV network", IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 94-101, Jan. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2007.911168
- M. F. Akorede and J. Katende, "Wavelet transform based algorithm for high-impedance faults detection in distribution feeders", Eur. J. Sci. Res., vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 238-248, 2010.
- New Insight into the Detection of High-Impedance Arcing Faults on DC Trolley Systems, IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol 35, no. 5, September, 1999.
- Zhengyou H., Xian W., Qingquan Q., "Automatic Fault Detection for Power System using Wavelet Singular Entropy", 2004 International Conference on Intelligent Mechatronics and Automation, pp. 433-437, Aug. 2004.
- Kim, C. H., and Aggarwal, R., "Wavelet transforms in Power Systems," IEE Power Engineering Journal vol. 15, pp. 193-202, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1049/pe:20010404
- V. C. Klema, A. J. Laub, "The singular value decomposition: Its computation and some applications," IEEE Trans. Autom. Control, vol. AC-25, no. 2, pp. 164-176, Apr. 1980.
Supported by : 한국에너지기술평가원(KETEP)