- Volume 29 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
A Study of Voltage Balancing Method in Series-Connected EDLCs for High Power Applications
다중 직렬 연결된 대용량 EDLC 모듈에 적합한 전압 밸런싱 기법에 대한 연구
Cha, Dae-Joong;Baek, Ji-Eun;Ko, Kwang-Cheol
- Received : 2015.03.24
- Accepted : 2015.05.13
- Published : 2015.07.30
In this paper, the problem of voltage unbalancing in series-connected multiple electric double-layer capacitors(EDLCs) is studied. Good understanding of this problem is required in order to increase reliability and stability of an energy storage system comprising EDLCs. Existing methods to settle voltage unbalancing cannot mitigate the problem enough for each cell, since most method have been applied to each module. For equalizing between cells, Zener diode which is one of passive method have been well examined in literature. However, Zener have well not used in balancing due to heating problem. In addition, It is difficult to choose Zener diode fitted rating voltage of EDLC, because of its internal resistance. Thus, we proposed passive balancing using Zener diode by analyzing parasitic element of Zener and EDLC. To experimentally confirm the balancing effect, we compared in two occasions which are with and without passive. As a result, proposed passive balancing circuit mitigated unbalanced voltage gap between EDLCs.
Voltage Balancing;Passive Balancing;Series-Connected EDLCs;Zener Diode
- G. S. Kim, J. H. Moon, H. C. Cho, D. H. Kim, "Development of Charger/Discharger to Test Performance for EDLC", Journal of Korea Institute of Illuminating and Electrical Installation Engineers, 26 (7), pp. 16-22, 2012.
- Y. M. Seo, S. C. Hong, "Hybrid Type X-Ray Generator Using EDLC for Fluoroscopy X-Ray System", Journal of Korea Institute of Illuminating and Electrical Installation Engineers, 28 (9), pp. 89-98, 2014.
- J. H. Kim, S. H. Kim, C. S. Kim, W. K. Sung, "A Study on Instantaneous Voltage Compensation of UPS using an Ultracapacitor", Journal of Korea Institute of Illuminating and Electrical Installation Engineers, 20 (5), pp. 18-24, 2006.
- J. H. Cho, W. P. Hong, M. G. Chun, "Renewable Source and Hybrid System Modeling for Smart Grid", Journal of Korea Institute of Illuminating and Electrical Installation Engineers, 24 (12), pp. 109-121, 2010.
- N. M. L. Tan, I. Shigenori, K. Atsushi, A. Hirofumi, "Voltage Balancing of a 320-V, 12-F Electric Double-Layer Capacitor Bank Combined With a 10-kW Bidirectional Isolated DC--DC Converter", IEEE Trans. Power Electron., 23 (6), pp. 2755-2765, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2008.2005388
- D. Linzen, S. Buller, E. Karden, R. W. Doncker, "Analysis and evaluation of charge-balancing circuits on performance, reliability, and lifetime of supercapacitor systems", IEEE Trans. Indust. Appl., 41 (5), pp. 1135-1141, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2005.853375
- M. Daowd, N. Omar, V. D. B. Perter, V. M. Joeri, "Passive and active battery balancing comparison based on MATLAB simulation", IEEE Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference, pp. 1-7, 2011.
- T. H. Phung, J. C. Crebier, Y. Lembeye, "Voltage balancing converter network for series-connected battery stack", IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, pp. 3007-3013, 2012.
- J. Kowal, E. Avaroglu, F. Chamekh, A. Senfelds, "Detailed analysis of the self-discharge of supercapacitors", Jour. of Power Source, pp. 573-579, 2011.
Grant : 친환경 전기 에너지 변환 및 관리 기술