- Volume 29 Issue 8
Changes in melatonin concentration levels by differences in CCT of white LED light focused on Spectral Power Distribution (SPD) differences compared to the same CCT of conventional fluorescent light were analyzed. For this, melatonin concentration levels in saliva samples were taken over four different experiments at seven-day intervals. In 71.4% of participants, it was confirmed that melatonin concentration is suppressed by exposure to light, and a slight difference was observed by different CCTs. In addition, Experiment II with a high CCT was relatively high in terms of the melatonin suppression rate compared to Experiment III. A key finding was the possibility that different SPDs under a particular CCT of white LED light compared to the same CCT of conventional fluorescent light could have the same effect on the melatonin suppression.
Circadian Rhythm;Correlated Color Temperature (CCT);Melatonin Suppression;Spectral Power Distribution (SPD);White LED Luminaire
- M. F. Tevy, J. Giebultowicz, Z. Pincus, G. Mazzoccoli, M. Vinciguerra, Aging signaling pathways and circadian clock-dependent metabolic derangements, Trends in Endocrinology & Metabolism 24(5) 2013.
- G. Glickman, B. Byrne, C. Pineda, W. W. Hauck, Brainard GC. Light therapy for seasonal affective disorder with blue narrow-band light-emitting diodes (LEDs), Biological Psychiatry 59(6) 2006.
- Y. Meesters, V. Dekke, L. J. Schlangen, E. H. Bos, M. J. Ruiter, Low-intensity blue-enriched white light (750lux) and standard bright light (10000lux) are equally effective in treating SAD, BMC Psychiatry 11(1) 2011.
- F. McCormick, J. Kadzielski, B. T. Evans, C. P. Landrigan, J. Herndon, H. Rubash, Fatigue optimization scheduling in graduate medical education: reducing fatigue and improving patient safety, Journal of graduate Medical education 5(1) 2013.
- S. A. Jasser, J. P. Hanifin, M. D. Rollag. G. C. Brainard, Dim light adaptation attenuates acute melatonin suppression in humans. Journal of biological rhythmss 21(5) 2006.
- S. B. S. Khalsa, M. E. Jewett, C. Cajochen, C. A. Czeisler, A phase response curve to single bright light pulses in human subjects, The Journal of Physiology 549(3) 2003.
- R. J. Lucas, R. H. Douglas, R. G. Foster, Characterization of an ocular photopigment capable of driving pupillary construction in mice, Nature neuroscience 4(6) 2001.
- D. W. Rimmer, D. B. Boivin, T. L. Shanahan, R. E. Kronauer, J. F. Duffy, C. A. Czeisler, Dynamic resetting of the human circadian pacemaker by intermittent bright light. AAmerican Journal of Physiology-Regulatory, Integrative and Comparative Physiology 279(5) 2000.
- K. Thapan, J. Arendt, D. J. Skene, An action spectrum for melatonin suppression: evidence for a novel non-rod, non-cone photoreceptor system in humans, The Journal of physiology 535(1) 2001.
- G. C. Brainard, J. P. Hanifin, J. M. Greeson, B. Byrne, G. Glickman, E. Gerner, M. D. Rollag, Action spectrum for melatonin regulation in human : Evidence for a novel circadian photoreceptor, The Journal of Neuroscience, 21(16) 2001.
- J. Van Hoof, A. M. C. Schoutensc, M. P. J. Aartsb, High colour temperature lighting for institutionalised older people with dementia, Building and Environment 44(9) 2009.
- J. Van Hoof, M. P. J. Aartsb, C. G. Rensec, A. M. C. Schoutensc, Ambient bright light in dementia: Effects on behaviour and circadian rhythmicity, Building and Environment 44(1) 2009.
- I. W. Saxvig, A. W. Langeland, S. Pallesen, O. Vedaa, I. H. Nordhus, E. Sorensen, B. Bjorvatn, Objective measures of sleep and dim light melatonin onset in adolescents and young adults with delayed sleep phase disorder compared to healthy controls, Journal of sleep research 22(4) 2013.
- Y. Zhu, A. Fu, A. E. Hoffman, M. G. Figueiro, M. A. Carskadon, K. M. Sharkey, M. S. Rea, Advanced sleep schedules affect circadian gene expression in young adults with delayed sleep schedules. Sleep Medicine 14(5) 2013.
- P. R. Boyce, Review: The Impact of Light in Buildings on Human Health. Indoor and Built Environment 19(1) 2010.
- L. Bellia, M. Seraceni, A proposal of a simplified model to evaluate circadian effects of light sources, Lighting Research and Technology 46(5) 2012.
- M. G. Figueiro, J. A. Brons, B. Plitnick, B. Donlan, R. P. Leslie, M. S. Rea, Measuring circadian light and its impact on adolescents. Lighting Research and Technology 43(2) 2011.
- R. E. Pullman, S. E. Roepke, J. F. Duffy, Laboratory validation of an in-home method for assessing circadian phase using dim light melatonin onset (DLMO). Sleep MedIcine 13(6) 2012.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)