- Volume 29 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
A Hybrid Fiber-Optic Sensor System for Multi-Stress Condition Monitoring of Wind Turbines
하이브리드 광섬유 센서 시스템을 이용한 풍력발전기의 다중물리량 상태감시
Kim, Dae-Gil;Kim, Hyunjin;Song, Minho
- Received : 2015.06.22
- Accepted : 2015.07.07
- Published : 2015.08.31
A hybrid fiber-optic sensor system which combines fiber Bragg grating sensors and a Michelson interferometer has been constructed and evaluated for condition monitoring of large scale wind turbines. In order to measure multiple stresses applied to wind turbines such as strain, temperature and vibration, the system uses single broadband light source. It addresses both types of sensors, which simplifies the optical setup and enhances the cost-effectiveness of condition monitoring system. An athermal-packaged FBG is used to supply quasi-coherent light, of which coherence length is about 3.28mm, for the Michelson interferometer demodulation. Experimental results demonstrated that the proposed fiber-optic sensor system was capable of measuring strain and temperature with measurement accuracy of 1pm. Also 500~2000Hz vibration signals were successfully analyzed by applying FFT signal processing to interference signals.
Fiber-optic Sensor;FBG;Michelson Interferometer;Wind Turbine;Condition Monitoring
- Z. Hameed, Y. S. Hong, Y. M. Cho, S. H. Ahn, and C. K. Song, "Condition monitoring and fault detection of wind turbines and related algorithms: A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 1-39, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2007.05.008
- F. P. G. Marquez, A. M. Tobias, J. M. P. Perez, and M. Papaelias, "Condition monitoring of wind turbines: techniques and methods," Renewable Energy, vol. 48, pp. 169-178, 2012.
- K. Schroeder, W. Ecke, J. Apitz, E. Lembke, and G. Lenschow, "A fibre Bragg grating sensor system monitors operational load in a wind turbine rotor blade," Measurement Science and Technology, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 1167, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1088/0957-0233/17/5/S39
- D. Kim, H. Kim, and M. Song, "FBG sensor system for condition monitoring of wind turbine blades," Journal of the Korean Institude of Illuminating and Electrical Installation Engineers, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 75-85, 2013.
- H. Y. Au, S. K. Khijwania, and H. Y. Tam, "Fiber Bragg grating based accelerometer," Proc. SPIE 7004, 19th International Conference on Optical Fibre Sensors, 70042S, 2008.
- A. B. Tveten, A. Dandridge, C. M. Davis, and T. G. Giallorenzi, "Fibre optic accelerometer," Electronics Letters, vol. 16, no. 22, pp. 854-856, 1980. https://doi.org/10.1049/el:19800607
- H. Kim, J. Lee, and M. Song, "Demodulation of FBG and acoustic sensors embedded in a fiber-optic Sagnac loop," Journal of the Korean Institude of Illuminating and Electrical Installation Engineers, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 44-50, 2012.
- A. S. Gerges, T. P. Newson, J. D. C. Jones, and D. A. Jackson, "High-sensitivity fiber-optic accelerometer,"Optics letters, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 251-253, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1364/OL.14.000251
- H. Park, J. Lee and M. Song, "Distributed fiber-optic temperature sensor network for protection of electric power systems," Journal of the Korean Institude of Illuminating and Electrical Installation Engineers, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 64-71, 2006. https://doi.org/10.5207/JIEIE.2006.20.5.064
- H. Park and M. Song, "Intrusion sensor using fiber-optic Mach-Zehnder interferometer," Journal of the Korean Society for Nondestructive Testing, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 255-259, 2006.
- A. D. Kersey, M. A. Davis, H. J. Patrick, M. LeBlanc, K. P. Koo, C. G. Askins, M. A. Putnam, and E. J. Friebele, "Fiber grating sensors," Journal of Lightwave Technology, vol. 15, no. 8, pp. 1442-1462, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1109/50.618377
- F. Lexer, C. K. Hitzenberger, A. F. Fercher, and M. Kulhavy, "Wavelength-tuning interferometry of intraocular distances," Applied Optics, vol. 36, no. 25, pp. 6548-6553, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.36.006548
- R. Kashyap and B. Nayar, "An all single-mode fiber michelson interferometer sensor," Journal of Lightwave Technology, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 619-624, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1109/JLT.1983.1072153
- D. C. Betz, G. Tursby, B. Culshaw, and W. J. Staszewski, "Advanced Layout of a Fiber Bragg Grating Strain Gauge Rosette," Journal of Lightwave Technology, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 1019-1026, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/JLT.2005.862442
Supported by : 한국연구재단