- Volume 24 Issue 5
This study aims to discuss the concept of upcycling as it applies to diaper recycling. Upcycling is the process of converting waste materials into new products of better quality. Through benchmarking of upcycling examples, useless objects can be transformed into valuable materials. However, current upcycling examples determine value creation related to qualitative elements, so that it is difficult to establish any quantitative strategy of upcycled products. Therefore, this study expands a B2B (Business to business) product for improving market availability and establishes a direction using both recovered pulp and mixed plastic at the same time. As a result, the upcycling method for recovered pulp and mixed plastics, is the application of a cellulose insulator. Within the near future, the high quality insulator market will grow more than three times. An upcycling strategy targeting the high quality insulator market needs to be established.
upcycling;soiled diaper;diaper recycling;recovered pulp;recovered plastic
- Oh, M. J., 2014 : The development and application of environmental education program in integrated subjects focused on upcycling activities, Master's degree paper of Seoul National University of Education, pp. 17-26
- Kim, K. S., 2015 : Policy options for diaper recycling to foster effective citizens' participation, based on collection pilot test of soiled diaper in Nowon-gu, Journal of Korean Inst. of Resources Recycling, 24(3) pp 2-11.
- Lee, D. J., Cho, S. H., and Kim, D. J., 2014 : From recycling to upcycling, Trade focus Institute for international trade, 13(46) pp 11-16.
- Ha, S. N., Lee, J. K., 2013 : A study on company cases of upcycling design activation, Archives of design research, 26(3) pp 307-309.
- Choi, S. L., Choi, E. H., and Do, W. H., 2014 : Upcycling awareness research fashion clothing goods for Korean university students, Journal of fashion and texture, 16(1) pp 111-117.
- Clark, G., Kosoris, J., 2009 : Design for sustainability: current trends in sustainable product design and development, Sustainability, pp 409-411. https://doi.org/10.3390/su1030409
- Kim, D. H., 2012 : The study on fashion jewelry making that utilized a recycled product focused on upcycling design, Kong-ju University pp 3-7.
- Choi, M. S., 2012 : A study on the characteristic of upcycling design, Korea society of basic design & art, 13(5), 551-553.
- Kim, S. Y., 2012 : A research on upcyling in 21 centry fashion art, The research journal of the costume culture, 20(3) pp 295-296. https://doi.org/10.7741/rjcc.2012.20.3.295
- Chung, S. J., Kim, W. S., 2014 : Upcycling design positioning through comparative analysis of similar concepts, Korea society of design science, pp 50-51.
- Kwan, J., 2012 : Based on the perspective of sustainability, the characteristics of upcycle design, Journal of korean society of clothing and textile research, 14(1) 13-23.
- Development of a Process Technique for Heavy Metal Removal in the Production of Recycled Synthetic Resin Materials vol.17, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.14775/ksmpe.2018.17.4.137