- Volume 2 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of Toxicity for Commercial Red Mud Pellets Using Pseudokirchneriella subcapitata and Daphnia magna
Lee, Saeromi;Ahn, Chang Hyuk;Park, Jae Roh;Lee, Sooji;Lee, Inju;Joo, Jin Chul
- Received : 2015.11.28
- Accepted : 2015.12.20
- Published : 2015.12.30
The toxicity of red mud (RM) pellets for water purification was evaluated using Pseudokirchneriella subcapitata and Daphnia magna in a lab-scale experiment. According to the algal growth inhibition test, both specific growth rates and relative growth rates of P. subcapitata decreased, and the growth inhibition rates increased (
Acute toxicity evaluation;Daphnia magna;Pseudokirchneriella subcapitata;Red mud pellets;Toxic unit
- Akay, G., Keskinler, B., Cakici, A. and Danis, U. 1998. Phosphate removal from water by red mud using crossflow microfiltration. Water Research 32: 717-726. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1354(97)00236-4
- Bhatnagar, A., Vilar, V.J., Botelho, C.M. and Boaventura, R.A. 2011. A review of the use of red mud as adsorbent for the removal of toxic pollutants from water and wastewater. Environmental Technology 32: 231-249. https://doi.org/10.1080/09593330.2011.560615
- Farre, M., Pasini, O., Alonso, M.C., Castillo, M. and Barcelo, D. 2001. Toxicity assessment of organic pollution in wastewaters using a bacterial biosensor. Analytica Chimica Acta 426: 155-165. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-2670(00)00826-6
- Guillard, R.L. 1975. Culture of phytoplankton for feeding marine invertebrates. In, Smith, W.L. and Chanley, M.H. (eds.), Culture of Marine Invertebrate Animals. Plenum Press, New York, USA. pp. 29-60.
- Kumar, S., Kumar, R. and Bandopadhyay, A. 2006. Innovative methodologies for the utilisation of wastes from metallurgical and allied industries. Resource, Conservation and Recycling 48: 301-314. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resconrec.2006.03.003
- Lee, H.J., Kim, H.J., Oh, H.J., Cho, K., Kim, J.G. and Jung, J. 2007. Assessment of heavy metal contamination and biological toxicity of mine drainages and sediments from abandoned mines. Journal of Korean Society on Water Quality 23: 287-293. (in Korean)
- MLTMA. 2010. Standard Method for Marine Environment. Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs of Republic of Korea. 2010-914. pp. 339-452.
- Mohan, D. and Pittman, C.U. 2007. Arsenic removal from water/wastewater using adsorbents- A critical review. Journal of Hazardous Materials 142: 1-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2007.01.006
- OECD. 1984. OECD Guideline for the Testing of Chemicals: Alga, Growth Inhibition Test. Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development Series on Testing and Assessment, No. 201.
- Park, S.H. and Kim, J. 2012. Ecotoxicity evaluation of phosphogypsum recycle for algae and Daphnia magna. Journal of Korean Society of Environmental Engineers 34: 528-532. (in Korean) https://doi.org/10.4491/KSEE.2012.34.8.528
- Tor, A. and Cengeloglu, Y. 2006. Removal of congo red from aqueous solution by adsorption onto acid activated red mud. Journal of Hazardous Materials B138: 409-415.
- U.S. EPA. 2002. Method for Measuring the Acute Toxicity of Effluents and Receiving Waters to Freshwater and Marine Organism. United States Environmental Protection Agency, EPA-821-R02-121, 275.
- Wang, Q., Luan, Z., Wei, N., Li, J. and Liu, C. 2009. The color removal of dye wastewater by magnesium chloride/red mud (MRM) from aqueous solution. Journal of Hazardous Materials 170: 690-698. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2009.05.011
- Wang, S., Ang, H.M. and Tade, M.O. 2008. Novel applications of red mud as coagulant, adsorbent and catalyst for environmentally benign processes. Chemosphere 72: 1621-1635. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2008.05.013
Supported by : MOLIT (Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport)