- Volume 21 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Characteristic Distributions of Nutrients and Water Quality Parameters in the Vicinity of Mokpo Harbor after Freshwater Inputs
담수 유입에 따른 목포항 주변해역의 영양염 및 수질인자 분포 특성
Kim, Yeong-Tae;Choi, Yoon-Seok;Cho, Yoon-Sik;Choi, Yong Hyeon;Jeon, Seungryul
- Received : 2015.09.07
- Accepted : 2015.12.28
- Published : 2015.12.31
The Mokpo coastal waters receive discharges from three artificial lakes(Youngsan, Youngam, Geumho) and other terrigenous freshwater inflows(streams, sewage treatment effluent, fresh groundwater), which exhibit very high concentrations of nutrients and/or organic matters. To understand spatial distributions of nutrients(DIN, DIP, DSi) and other water quality parameters(Chl-a, water temperature, salinity, DO, COD, SS), field surveys were conducted at 10 stations in the Mokpo harbor and adjacent estuaries on May, July, September, and November 2008 within 10 days following discharge events from artificial lakes. In this study, the freshwater flow rate influxed by the operation of sea dike sluice had significant influence on water qualities of the Mokpo coastal waters, although nutrient concentrations in other freshwater sources such as streams, sewage treatment effluent, and fresh groundwater were much higher. As a result of statistical analysis, DIN, COD, and Chl-a had a negative correlation with salinity. Therefore it was shown that discharge extents, time, and nutrients from the Youngsan lake were major impact factors dominating the spatial characteristics of nutrients and other water quality parameters in the Mokpo harbor and adjacent waters. However, despite non-discharge from the Youngsan Lake on September of this investigated period, it was observed that the nutrient addition was taking place in the lower layer of the estuary suggesting nutrient supply through different pathways. This result has emphasized the need to implement the combined assessment about the cumulative impacts on the Youngsan Estuary environment and ecosystem due to freshwater inputs derived from the artificial lakes as well as other terrigenous inflows, or benthic releases.
Artificial lake;Terrigenous freshwater;Discharge;Impact factor;Combined assessment
- Bang, K. Y., T. I. Kim, Y. S. Song, J. H. Lee, S. W. Kim, J. G. Cho, J. W. Kim, S. B. Woo and J. K. Oh(2013), Numerical modeling of sediment transport during the 2011 summer flood in the Youngsan River Estuary, Korea, Journal of the Korean Society for Marine Environmental Engineering, Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 76-93.
- Byun, D. S., X. H. Wang and P. E. Holloway(2004), Tidal charateristic adjustment due to dyke and seawall construction in the Mokpo Coastal Zone, Korea, Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, Vol. 59, pp. 185-196. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2003.08.007
- Byun, D. S., X. H. Wang, M. Zavatarelli and Y. K. Cho(2007), Effects of resuspended sediments and vertical mixing on phytoplankton spring bloom dynamics in a tidal estuarine embayment, Journal of Marine Systems, Vol. 67, pp. 102-118. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmarsys.2006.10.003
- Choi, W. J., C. K. Park and S. M. Lee(1994), Numerical simulation of the formation of oxygen deficient water-masses in Jinhae Bay, Bulletin of the Korean Fisheries Society, Vol. 27, No. 4, pp. 413-433.
- Dortch, Q. and T. E. Whitledge(1992), Does nitrogen or silicon limit phytoplankton production in the Mississippi River plume and nearby regions, Continental Shelf Research, Vol. 12, pp. 1293-1309. https://doi.org/10.1016/0278-4343(92)90065-R
- Egge, J. K. and D. L. Aksnes(1992), Silicate as regulating nutrient in phytoplankton competition, Marine Ecology Progress Series, Vol. 83, pp. 281-289. https://doi.org/10.3354/meps083281
- Forja, J. M., J. Blasco and A. Gomez-Parra(1994), Spatial and seasonal variation of in situ benthic fluxes in the Bay of Cadiz (South-west Spain), Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, Vol. 39, pp. 127-141. https://doi.org/10.1006/ecss.1994.1053
- GIMS(2009), An Annual Report of Groundwater Investigation, National Groundwater Information Center, Available from: http://www.gims.go.kr/.
- Jang, S. T. and K. C. Kim(2006), Change of oceanographic environment in the Nakdong Estuary, Journal of the Korean Society of Oceanography, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 11-20.
- Jeong, D. D., J. W. Lee and S. G. Gug(1999), A study on the Change of water quality in the vicinity of Mokpo harbor due to the discharges from Yongsan River Estuary weir and Yongam-Kumho sea dike, Journal of Port Research, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 1-8.
- Jung, T. S.(2011), Numerical modeling of tide asymmetry in the Southeast Coastal Zone of Yellow Sea, Journal of Korean Society of Coastal and Ocean Engineers, Vol. 23, No. 6, pp. 429-441. https://doi.org/10.9765/KSCOE.2011.23.6.429
- Jung, T. S. and J. K. Jeong(2013), Spatial distribution and time variation of M tide in the Western Coast of Korea, Journal of Korean Society of Coastal and Ocean Engineers, Vol. 25, No. 4, pp. 255-265. https://doi.org/10.9765/KSCOE.2013.25.4.255
- Jung, T. S. and T. S. Kim(2008), Prediction system of hydrodynamic circulation and freshwater dispersion in Mokpo coastal zone, Journal of the Korean Society for Marine Environmental Engineering, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 13-23.
- Justic, D., N. N. Rabalais, R. E. Turner and Q. Dortch(1995), Changes in nutrient structure of river-dominated coastal waters: Stoichiometric nutrient balance and its consequences, Estuarine, Coastal Shelf Science, Vol. 40, pp. 339-356. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0272-7714(05)80014-9
- Kang, J. W. and S. R. Moon(2001), Tidal propagation characteristics in the estuary which shows significant shallow tides, Journal of Korean Society of Coastal and Ocean Engineers, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 56-60.
- Kim, D. H.(2006), Management of water quality by the point source in Mokpo inner bay, Journal of the Korean Society of Marine Environment & Safety, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp. 273-283.
- Kim, H. S., B. S. Kim and J. S. Lee(1999), Distribution of specific plants and hydrophytes in the wetland of Youngsan River, Korean Journal of Plant Research, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp. 301-311.
- Kim, J. W., B. I. Yoon, J. I. Song, C. W. Lim and S. B. Woo(2013), Spatial and temporal variability of residual current and salinity according to freshwater discharge in Yeongsan river estuary, Journal of Korean Society of Coastal and Ocean Engineers, Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 103-111. https://doi.org/10.9765/KSCOE.2013.25.2.103
- Kim, K. Y. and C. I. Choi(1988), Standing crop of phytoplankton in Lake Yongsan, The Korean Journal of Phycology, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 183-192.
- Kim, Y. T.(2006), Studies on biogeochemical changes of tidal flat: a mesocosm approach, Ph.D's thesis, Kunsan National University, pp. 179-230.
- Korea Hydrographic and Oceanographic Administration (2000-2011), Korea Ocean Observing and Forecasting System (KOOFS), http://www.khoa.go.kr/koofs/.
- Kwon, H. K., J. A. Park, H. S. Yang and S. J. Oh(2013), Dominance and survival strategy of toxic dinoflagellate Alexandrium tamarense and Alexandrium catenella under dissolved inorganic nitrogen-limited conditions, Journal of the Korean Society for Marine Environmental and Energy, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 25-35. https://doi.org/10.7846/JKOSMEE.2013.16.1.25
- Kwoun, C. H., M. S. Kwon, H. Kang, G. S. Jang, J. B. Seo, K. W. Cho and J. H. Maeng(2012). The prediction of low salinity water behaviour caused by tidal gate extension in Yeongsan-River Estuary, Journal of Environmental Impact Assessment, Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 553-565.
- Lee, N. I.(2000), The estimation of pollution loads flowing into Mokpo harbour, Master's thesis, Mokpo National Maritime University, pp. 22-68.
- Lee, D. I.(2004), Estimation of spatial accumulation and transportation of Chl-a by the numerical modeling in red tide of Chinhae Bay, Journal of the Korean Society for Marine Environmental Engineering, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 1-12.
- Lee, S. H. and Y. Ahn(2000), Measures for groundwater pollution due to agricultural activities, Journal of Rural Communities and Environment, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 58-69.
- Lee, K. S. and S. K. Jun(2009), Material budget in the Youngsan river estuary with simple box model, Journal of the Korean Society for Marine Environmental Engineering, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp. 248-254.
- Lee, M. O. and J. K. Kim(2008), Characteristics of algal blooms in the southern coastal waters of Korea, Marine Environmental Research, Vol. 65, pp. 128-147. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marenvres.2007.09.006
- Lee, Y. J., J. O. Min, Y. S. Shin, S. H. Kim and K. H. Shin(2011), Temporal and spatial variations of primary productivity in Estuary of Youngsan River and Mokpo Coastal Areas, Korean Journal of Limnology, Vol. 44, No. 4, pp. 327-336.
- Lim, D. I., Y. O. Kim, M. R. Kang, P. K. Jang, K. S. Shin and M. Jang(2007), Variability of water quality and limiting factor for primary production in semi-enclosed Masan Bay, South Sea of Korea, Ocean and Polar Research, Vol. 29, No. 4, pp. 349-366. https://doi.org/10.4217/OPR.2007.29.4.349
- Lim, H. S. and K. Y. Park(1998), Community structure of the macrobenthos in the soft bottom of Yongsan River Estuary, Korea, Journal of Korean Fishery Society, Vol. 31, No. 3, pp. 343-352.
- Mazouni, N., J. C. Gaertner, J. M. Deslous-Paoli, S. Landrein and M. G. d'Oedenberg(1996), Nutrient and oxygen exchanges at the water-sediment interface in a shellfish farming lagoon (Thau, France), Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology, Vol. 205, pp. 91-113. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-0981(96)02594-4
- MLTM(2006), Marine Environment Standard Methods, Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs, pp. 15-73.
- MLTM(2009), A Study on Construction of Management System for the Estuary: The Youngsan River Estuary, Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs, Final Report, pp. 231-240.
- Mokpo City(2008), A White Paper of City Administration, Available from: http://www.mokpo.go.kr/.
- MST(2007), 21st Century Frontier R & D Program - Sustainable Water Resources Research Program: Application of Optimal Management System for Coastal Groundwater, Ministry of Science and Technology, Final Report, p. 57.
- Officer, C. B. and J. H. Ryther(1980), The possible importance of silicone in marine eutrophication, Marine Ecology Progress Series, Vol. 3, pp. 83-91.
- Park, L. H., Y. K. Cho, C. Cho, Y. J. Sun and K. Y. Park(2001), Hydrography and circulation in the Youngsan river estuary in summer, 2000, Journal of the Korean Society of Oceanography, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 218-224.
- Park, S. Y., S. S. Kim, P. J. Kim, E. S. Cho, S. Y. Kim, Y. S. Choi, B. M. Kim and D. U. Kim(2010), Long-term variation and characteristics of water quality in the Mokpo coastal areas of the Yellow Sea, Korea, Journal of the Korean Society of Marine Environment & Safety, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 321-337.
- Park, Y. W., Y. G. Cho, Y. S. Sin and C. H. Lee(2006), Simulation of salt intrusion and mixing influence for Yongsan estuary regarding seawater exchange, Proceedings of the Korea Water Resources Association Conference, pp. 557-561.
- Rhew, H. S. and G. H. Lee(2011), Relationships on magnitude and frequency of freshwater discharge and rainfall in the altered Yeongsan Estuary, Journal of the Korean Society of Oceanography, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 223-237.
- Ryu, S. O., J. Y. Kim and H. S. You(2000), Seasonal variation and transport pattern of suspended matters in semiclosed Muan Bay, Southwestern coast of Korea, Journal of Korean Earth Science Society, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 128-136.
- Woo, J. S, H. S. Choi, H. J. Lee and T. H. Kim(2014), Organic matter in the sediments of Youngsan River Estuary Distribution and sources, Journal of Environmental Science International, Vol. 23, No. 7, pp. 1375-1383. https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2014.23.7.1375
- YSWSMC and NIER(2006), A Study into the Feasibility of constructing fishways in the Yeongsan River Estuary Barrage, Yeongsan-Seomjin Water System Management Committee and National Institute of Environmental Research (Yeongsan Water Environment Research Institute)(2006), Final Report, p. 39.
- Youngsangang Project Office, KRC (Korea Rural Community Corporation)(1999), Facilities Management Regulation for Youngsan Estuary Dike, p. 11.
- Youngsangang Project Office, KRC (Korea Rural Community Corporation)(2008), Report on Freshwater Discharges (Personal communication).
- Yoon, B. B., E. J. Lee, T. A. Kang and Y. S. Shin(2013), Long-term change of phytoplankton biomass (chlorophyll-a), enviromental factors and freshwater discharge in Youngsan Estuary, Korean Journal of Ecology and Environment, Vol. 46, No. 2, pp. 205-214.
- Yoon, Y. H.(2001), On the spatio-temporal distribution of water quality and chlorophyll a, and the environmental factors on the variation of the phytoplankton biomass in the Mokpo Coastal Waters, Southeastern Korea during low temperature season, Journal of Korean Society of Water Quality, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 1-13.
Supported by : 국립수산과학원