- Volume 21 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Conservation Value of Endangered Marine Species: The Case of the Ellobium Chinense
보호대상해양생물의 보전가치 추정: 대추귀고둥을 대상으로
Lim, Seul-Ye;Lee, Chang-Su;Kim, Min-Seop;Yoo, Seung-Hoon
- Received : 2015.11.02
- Accepted : 2015.12.28
- Published : 2015.12.31
This paper attempts to quantitatively assess the conservation value of Ellobium chinense (EC), which belongs to the endangered marine species designated by Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries. To this end, we apply the contingent valuation (CV) method, an economic technique of valuing a non-market goods such as EC. A national survey of randomly selected 1,000 households was administered in order to derive the public's willingness to pay (WTP) for conserving EC. One-and-one-half-bound model was adopted to elicit the WTP responses and a spike model was employed to deal with the zero WTP responses. The results show that the conservation value of EC is estimated to be 2,346 won per household per year that is statistically significant at the 1% level. Expanding the value to the national population gives us an annual value of 43.8 billion won. We can judge that the Korean people are willing to pay a significant amount to conserve EC.
Endangered marine species;Conservation value;Ellobium chinense;Contingent valuation method;Willingness to pay
- Arrow, K., R. Solow, P. R. Portney, E. E. Leamer, R. Radner and H. Schuman(1993), Report of the NOAA Panel on Contingent Valuation, Washington, DC : National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, U.S. Department of Commerce, pp. 1-66.
- Bishop, R. C. and T. A. Heberlein,(1979). Measuring Values of Extra-market Goods: Are Indirect Measures Biased?, American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 61, pp. 926-930. https://doi.org/10.2307/3180348
- Carson, R. T., T. Groves, M. J. Machina(2007). Incentive and Informational Properties of Preference Questions. Environmental and Resource Economics Vol. 37, No. 1, pp. 181-210. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10640-007-9124-5
- Chambers, C. and J. Whitehead(2003), A Contingent Valuation Estimate of the Benefits of Wolves in Minnesota, Environmental and Resource Economics, Vol. 26, pp. 249-267. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1026356020521
- Cooper, J. C., W. M. Hanemann, and G. Signorello(2002), One and One-Half Bound Dichotomous Choice Contingent Valuation, Review of Economics and Statistics, Vol. 84, pp. 742-750. https://doi.org/10.1162/003465302760556549
- Eagle, J. G. and D. R. Betters(1998), The Endangered Species Act and Economic Values: A Comparison of Fines and Contingent Valuation Studies, Ecological Economics, Vol. 26, pp. 165-171. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-8009(97)00061-X
- Giraud, K., B. Turcin, J. B. Loomis, and J. Cooper(2002), Economic Benefit of the Protection Program for the Steller Sea Lion, Marine Policy, Vol. 26, pp. 451-458. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-597X(02)00025-8
- Gregory, R., S. Lichtenstein and P. Slovic(1993), Valuing Environmental Resources: A Constructive Approach, Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Vol. 7, pp. 177-197. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01065813
- Han, S. Y.(2000), Measuring Preservation Value of Manchurian Black Bear: An Application of Turnbull Distribution-Free Model, Forest Economics Review, Vol. 8, No. 1, 1-10.
- Hanemann, W. M.(1984), Welfare Evaluations in Contingent Valuation Experiments with Discrete Responses, American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 66, No. 3, pp. 332-341. https://doi.org/10.2307/1240800
- Hanemann, W. M., J. Loomis and B. Kaninnen(1991), Statistical Efficiency of Double-Bounded Dichotomous Choice Contingent Valuation, American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 73, No. 4, pp. 1255-1263. https://doi.org/10.2307/1242453
- Hanley, N. and C. L. Spash(1993), Cost-Benefits Analysis and the environment, England, Edward Elgar Publishing Company, pp. 47-50.
- Kil, H. J., H. K. Oh, J. M. Jun, J. E. Ban, and J. N. You.(2013), Population characteristics study for the conservation of endangered species, Ellobium chinense(II). National Institute of Biological Resources, pp. 14-17.
- Kil, H. J., H. K Oh, J. M. Jun, J. E. Ban, K. S. Kim, J. N. You, Y. K. Lee, and H. M. Baek(2012), Population characteristics study for the conservation of endangered species, Ellobium chinense( ). National Institute of Biological Resources, pp. 1-22.
- Kimura, T.(2011), Why an Endangered Snail Ellobium Chinense Aggregates on the Uppermost Tidal Flat?, Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi, Vol. 77, No. 1, p. 119. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.77.119
- Korea Development Institute,(2012). A Study on General Guidelines for Pre-feasibility Study. 5th edition. PIMAC, pp.296-332.
- Krinsky, I., A. L. Robb(1986), On Approximating the Statistical Properties of Elasticities. Review of Economics and Statistics. Vol. 68, pp. 715-719. https://doi.org/10.2307/1924536
- Kristrom, B.(1997), Spike Models in Contingent Valuation, American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 79, No. 3, pp. 1013-1023. https://doi.org/10.2307/1244440
- Kwon, Y. Ju, S. K. Paik, and S. H. Yoo(2013), Measuring the Conservation Value of Spotted Seal in Korea, Ocean Policy Research, Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 41-70.
- Lee, H. C.(2002), Valuing the Nightheron Resources: The Dichotomous Choice Contingent Valuation Method Approach, Journal of Tourism Sciences, Vol. 25, Vol. 4, pp. 127-142.
- Lee, J. H., S. Y. Han, K. Choi, and H. J. Cho(2000), Measurement of the Conservation Value of a Natural Monument, Oriental Arber Forest in Do-dong, Daegu, Journal of the Korea Institute of Forest Recreation Welfare, Vol. 4, No. 1/2, pp. 55-66.
- Loomis, J. B. and D. S. White(1996), Economic Benefits of Rare and Endangered Species: Summary and Meta-Analysis, Ecological Economics, Vol. 18, pp. 197-206. https://doi.org/10.1016/0921-8009(96)00029-8
- Loomis, J. B. and A. Gonzalez-Caban(1998), A Willingnessto-pay Function for Protecting Acres of Spotted Owl Habitat from Fire, Ecological Economics, Vol. 25, pp. 315-322. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-8009(97)00044-X
- MacMillan, D., N. Hanley, and M. Daw(2004), Costs and Benefits of Wild Goose Sonservation in Scotland, Biological Conservation, Vol. 119, pp. 475-485. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biocon.2004.01.008
- Mitchell, R. C. and R. T. Carson(1989), Using Surveys to Public Goods: The Contingent Valuation Method. Washington, DC: Resources for the Future, p. 198.
- National Marine Biodiversity Institute of Korea(2015), Study on the conservation plan for managed marine organism.(in press)
- Pfeiffer(1854). Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London, part 22: 150-152.
- Stanley D. L.(2005), Local Perception of Public Goods: Recent Assessments of Willingness-to-pay for Endangered Species, Contemporary Economic Policy, Vol. 2, pp. 165-179.
- Stithou, M., and R. Scarpa(2012), Collective Versus Voluntary Payment in Contingent Valuation for the Conservation of Marine Biodiversity: An Exploratory Study from Zakynthos, Greece, Ocean & Coastal Management, Vol. 56, pp. 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ocecoaman.2011.10.005
- Sumikawa, S(1983), The Reproduction and the Reproductive System in the Estuarine Pulmonate Snail, Ellobium Chinense - II. Mating and Oviposition, Venus, Vol. 41, No. 4, pp. 274-280.
- Sumikawa, S. and H. Miura(1978), The Reproduction and the Reproductive System in the Estuarine Pulmonate Snail Ellobium Chinense- . The Functional Morphology of the Reproductive System, Venus, Vol. 37, pp. 107-15.
- Wallmo, K. and D. K. Lew (2011), Valuing Improvements to Threatened and Endangered Marine Species: An Application of Stated Preference Choice Experiments, Journal of Environmental Management, Vol. 92, pp. 1793-1801. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2011.02.012
- Yoo, J. C. and J. E. Kim(2008), Using One and One-half Bounded Dichotomous Choice Contingent Valuation Methods to Estimate Non-market Value of Otters in Cheongju and Cheongwon Area, Environmental and Resource Economics Review, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 349-381.
- Yoo, S. H. and K. S. Chae(2001), Measuring the Economic Benefits of the Ozone Pollution Control Policy in Seoul: Results of a Contingent Valuation survey, Urban Studies, Vol. 38, No. 1, pp. 49-60. https://doi.org/10.1080/00420980020014802
- Yoo, S. H. and S. J. Kwak(2002), Using a Spike Model to deal with Zero Response Data from Double Bounded Dichotomous Choice Contingent Valuation Surveys, Applied Economics Letters, Vol. 9, No. 14, pp. 929-932. https://doi.org/10.1080/13504850210139378
- Yoo, S. H., S. J. Kwak and T. Y. Kim(1999), Valuing Air Quality of Seoul: Contingent Valuation Method Based on Multi-Attribute Utility, Environmental Economic Review, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 243-270.
- Yoo, S. H., S. J. Kwak and T. Y. Kim(2001b), Modeling Willingness to Pay Responses from Dichotomous Choice Contingent Valuation Surveys with Zero Observations, Applied Economics, Vol. 33, No. 4, pp. 523-529. https://doi.org/10.1080/00036840122117
- Yoo, S. H., T. Y. Kim and J. K. Lee(2001a), Modeling Zero Response Data from Willingness to Pay Surveys: A Semi-parametric Estimation, Economics Letters, Vol. 71, No. 2, pp. 191-196. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-1765(01)00363-9
- Yoon, Y. C. and H. C. Chang(1994). Assessment of the Conservation Value of a Korean Gwangreung Woodpecker, Environmental Economic Review, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 87-105.
- The Marine Environmental Assessment of Reclamation on the Habitat of Marine Endangered Species : Case Study on the Habitat of Clithon Retropictus and Ellobium Chinense vol.30, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.13000/JFMSE.2018.08.30.4.1439
- The Eco-economical Evaluation of Tidal Flat Restoration in Suncheon Bay vol.21, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.7846/JKOSMEE.2018.21.2.47
Supported by : 국립해양생물자원관