- Volume 21 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
A Study on Prioritization of HNS Management in Korean Waters
해상 위험·유해물질(HNS) 관리 우선순위 선정에 관한 연구
Kim, Young Ryun;Kim, Tae Won;Son, Min Ho;Oh, Sangwoo;Lee, Moonjin
- Received : 2015.12.04
- Accepted : 2015.12.28
- Published : 2015.12.31
The types of hazardous and noxious substances (HNS) being transported by sea in Korea are at about 6,000, HNS transport volume accounts for 19% of total tonnage shipped in Korea, and the increase rate of seaborne HNS trade in Korea is 2.5 times higher than the average increase rate of the world seaborne HNS trade. Reflecting this trend, HNS spill incidents have been frequently reported in Korean waters, and there are increasing social demands to develop HNS management technology for the preparedness, response, post-treatment and restoration in relation to HNS spill incidents at sea. In this study, a risk-based HNS prioritization system was developed and an HNS risk database was built with evaluation indices such as sea transport volume, physicochemical properties, toxicities, persistency, and bioaccumulation. Risk scores for human health and marine environments were calculated by multiplying scores for toxicity and exposure. The top-20 substances in the list of HNS were tabulated, and Aniline was ranked first place, but it needs to be managed not by individuals but by HNS groups with similar score levels. Limitations were identified in obtaining data of chronic toxicity and marine ecotoxicity due to lack of testing data. It is necessary to study on marine ecotoxicological test in the near future. Moreover, the priority list of HNS is expected to be utilized in the development of HNS management technology and the relevant technologies, after the expert's review process and making up for the lack of test data in the current research results.
HNS;HNS Prioritizing system;Maritime transport;Risk evaluation;Toxicity;Exposure
- Cho, S. J., D. J. Kim and K. S. Choi(2013), Hazardous and Noxious Substances (HNS) Risk Assessment and Accident Prevention Measures on Domestic Marine Transportation, Journal of the Korean Society on Marine Environment & Safety, Vol. 19, pp. 145-154. https://doi.org/10.7837/kosomes.2013.19.2.145
- Choi, S. P., H. S. Park, D. S. Lee, Y. S. Shin, Y. S. Kim and D. C. Shin(2005), Development of CRS-Korea II and its Application to Setting the Priority of Toxic Chemicals for local Provinces, Journal of Environmental Toxicology, Vol. 20, pp. 311-325.
- Cunha, I., S. Moreira and M. M. Santos(2015), Review on hazardous and noxious substances (HNS) involved in marine spill incidents-An online database, Journal of Hazardous Materials, Vol. 285, pp. 509-516. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2014.11.005
- Cunha, I., T. Neuparth, S. Moreira and M. M. Santos(2014), Management of Contaminated Marine Marketable Resources and HNS Spills in Europe, Journal of Environmental Management, Vol. 135, pp. 36-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2013.12.032
- Garcia, D. A., F. Cumo, F. Gugliermetti and F. Rosa(2013), Hazardous and Noxious Substances (HNS) Risk Assessment along the Italian Coastline, Chemical Engineering Transactions, Vol. 32, pp. 115-120.
- GESAMP(2014), Revised GESAMP Hazard Evaluation Procedure for Chemical Substances Carried by Ships (IMO/FAO/UNESCO-IOC/WMO/IAEA/UN/UNEP/INIDO/ UNDP) Joint Group of Experts on the Scientific Aspects of Marine Environmental Protection, 2nd Edition, Rep. Stud. GESAMP No. 64, pp. 1-106.
- GESAMP(2015), GESAMP Hazard Profiles for new Substances Submitted for Evaluation to GESAMP/EHS 52, Annex 4, pp. 1-74.
- Hansen, B. G., A. G. V. Haelst, K. V. Leeuwen and P. V. D. Zandt(1999), Priority Setting for Existing Chemicals: European Union Risk Ranking Method, Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, Vol. 18, pp. 72-779.
- Harold, P. D., A. S. de Souza, P. Louchart, D. Russell and H. Brunt(2014), Development of a Risk-based Prioritization Methodology to inform Public Health Emergency Planning and Preparedness in case of Accidental Spill at Sea of Hazardous and Noxious Substances (HNS), Environment International, Vol. 72, pp. 157-163. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envint.2014.05.012
- IMO(2000), Protocol on Preparedness, Response and Cooperation to Pollution Incidents by Hazardous and Noxious Substances (OPRC-HNS protocol), Attachment 1, pp. 1-11.
- ITOPF(2014), TIP 17: Response to marine chemical incidents, Technical information papers, pp. 1-16.
- Kim, Y. S., H. S. Park, D. S. Lee and D. C. Shin(2005), Comparison of Chemical Ranking and Scoring Methods, Journal of Environmental Toxicology, Vol. 3, pp. 183-191.
- Lee, M. and J. Y. Jung(2013), Risk Assessment and National Measure Plan for Oil and HNS Spill Accidents Near Korea, Marine Pollution Bulletin, Vol. 73, pp. 339-344. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2013.05.021
- Lee, M. and S. Oh(2014), Development of Response Scenario for a Simulated HNS Spill Incident, Journal of the Korean Society on Marine Environment & Safety, Vol. 20, pp. 677-684. https://doi.org/10.7837/kosomes.2014.20.6.677
- Mary, B. S, A. D. Gary, E. K. Lori, W. S. Terry, E. V. John, L. J. Sheila and L. G. Emma(1997), A screening method for ranking and scoring chemicals by potential human health and environmental impacts, Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, Vol. 16, pp. 372-383. https://doi.org/10.1002/etc.5620160237
- MPSS(2015), Ministry of Public Safety and Security, a press release, http://www.mpss.go.kr/etc/totalSearch.do.
- Neuparth, T., S. M Moreira, M. M. Santos and M. A. Reis-Henriques(2011), Hazardous and Noxious Substances (HNS) in the Marine Environment: Prioritizing HNS that pose major Risk in a European Context, Marine Pollution Bulletin, Vol. 62, pp. 21-28. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2010.09.016
- Neuparth, T., S. M. Moreira, M. M. Santos and M. A. Reis-Henriques(2012), Review of oil and HNS accidental spills in Europe: Identifying major environmental monitoring gaps and drawing priorities, Marine Pollution Bulletin, Vol. 64, pp. 1085-1095. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2012.03.016
- Park, H. S., T. S. Kim, D. S. Lee, Y. S. Shin, S. P. Choi, S. E. Park, M. H. Kim, J. Y. Yang and D. C. Shin(2005), Development of Korean Chemical Ranking and Scoring System (CRS-KOREA) and its Application to Prioritizing National Toxic Chemicals, Journal of Environmental, Toxicology, Vol. 20, pp. 109-121.
- UNECE(2015), Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals (GHS), 6th revised edition, pp. 1-527.
- US EPA(1994), Comparative evaluation of chemical ranking and scoring methodology, pp. 1-56.
Supported by : 한국해양과학기술진흥원