- Volume 21 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
A Case Study of Nitrox Usage in Diving Operation of the Busan-Geoje Fixed Link Immersed Tunnel
거가대교 침매터널 잠수작업에서의 나이트록스 사용 사례 분석
Woo, Dae-Hee;Kang, Sin-Young;Lee, Min-Gu
- Received : 2015.09.25
- Accepted : 2015.12.28
- Published : 2015.12.31
This study tried to evaluate the safety and economical benefit of Nitrox-diving by comparing with Air diving. We used actual diving data which was recorded in construction site of the Busan-Geoje fixed link immersed tunnel in 2010. The study method was to assort and analyze the diving data by divers, depth, breathing air, and diving table. Furthermore, the study examined the possibility of outbreak decompression sickness by comparing Nitrox diving and Air diving in no-decompression limit time, decompression time, working time. As a result, this study confirms that if certain diver breathe Nitrox for diving and oxygen for decompression, not only the risk of decompression sickness could be minimized, but also duration of decompression could be shortened. Moreover, it was estimated that a remarkable difference(more than 3 times) between actual duration of underwater construction period and virtual construction period by using air. As a result, the study confirmed that Nitrox diving is more efficient and economical than Air diving in physically limited and hazardous diving environment.
Commercial diving;Nitrox diving;GK Bridge;Immersed tunnel;Diving work
- ADCI(2014), Association of Diving Contractors International, International Consensus Standards for Commercial Diving and Underwater Operations, 6.1 Ed., pp. 52-55.
- DCIEM(1992), Defense and Civil Institute of Environmental Medicine , DCIEM diving manual, Universal dive techtronics, Inc.: CANADA, pp. 7-8.
- Edmonds, C., C. Lowry and J. Pennefather(1992), Oxygen Toxicity, Diving and Subaquatic Medicine, Oxford; Butterworth-Heinemann, pp. 241-256.
- Hhssoftware(2015), V-planner Commercial Diver, Available at: http://www.hhssoftware.com/v-planner-cde/ [Accessed 12 Feb 2015].
- Imbert, J. P.(2006), Commercial Diving: 90msw Operational Aspects, In: Lang, MA and Smith, NE (eds), Proceeding of Advanced Scientific Diving Workshop, Washington DC, February 23-24, 2006, Smithsonian Institution: Washington, p. 122.
- IMCA(2012), International Marine Contractors Association, Surface Supplied Diving Operation using Nitrox, IMCA D 048, March 2012, p. 14.
- IMCA(1987), International Marine Contractors Association, AODC 047 The Effects of Underwater Currents on Divers' Performance and Safety, pp. 4-5.
- Korea JoongAng Daily(2014), News, http://article.joins.com/news/article/article.asp?total_id=14987553&ctg=1200.
- Lloyds(2014), SCOPIC Clause Tariff Appendix A, London: Lloyds, Available at: http://www.lloyds.com/Search?q=scopic [Accessed 12 Feb 2015].
- NDC(1988), Netherlands Diving Centrs, NDC Decompressietabellen, The Netherlands Training and Knowledge Centre Hyperbaric Labour, Available at:http://www.nokwoo.ni/ [Accessed 12 Feb 2015].
- Shields, T. G.(1987), Decompression Sickness in Commercial Air Divers, Proceeding of an International Conference (Subtech'87), Aberdeen, November 10-12, 1987, Society of Underwater Technology: UK, pp. 171-172.
- USN(2008), US Navy Diving Manual, Revision 6, NAVSEA, SS521-AG-PRO-010, pp. 9.61-9.84.