- Volume 20 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Suggestion of a Groundwater Quality Management Framework Using Threshold Values and Trend Analysis
문턱값과 추세분석을 이용한 지하수 수질관리체계 구축을 위한 연구
- Received : 2015.10.20
- Accepted : 2015.12.04
- Published : 2015.12.31
Statistical trend analysis using the data from the National Groundwater Quality Monitoring Network (NGQMN) of Korea was conducted to establish a new groundwater quality management framework. Sen’s test, a non-parametric statistical method for trend analysis, was used to determine the linear trend of the groundwater quality data. The analysis was conducted at different confidence levels (i.e., at 70, 80, 90, 95, and 99% confidence levels) for three of groundwater quality parameters, i.e., nitrate-nitrogen, chloride, and pH, which have sufficient time series of the NGQMN data between 2007 and 2013. The results showed that different trends can be determined for different depths even for the same monitoring site and the numbers of wells having significant trends vary with different confidence levels. The wells with increasing or decreasing trends were far less than the wells with no trend. Chloride had more wells with increasing trend than other parameters. On the other hand, nitrate-nitrogen had the most wells with increasing trend and concentration exceeding 75% of the threshold values (TVs). Based on the methodology used for this study, we suggest including groundwater TVs and trend analysis to evaluate groundwater quality and to establish an advanced groundwater quality management framework.
Groundwater quality management framework;National groundwater quality monitoring network;Threshold value;Trend analysis
- EC, 2009, Common implementation strategy for the water framework directive (2000/60/EC) Guidance document No. 18 Guidance on groundwater status and trend assessment.
- EC, 2008, Directive 2008/32/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 11 March 2008 amending Directive 2000/ 60/EC establishing a framework for community action in the field of water policy, as regards the implementing powers conferred on the commission.
- EC, 2006, Directive 2006/118/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 12 December 2006 on the protection of groundwater against pollution and deterioration.
- EC, 2000, Directive 2000/60/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 October 2000 establishing a framework for community action in the field of water policy.
- An, Y.-J., Nam, S.-H., and Jeong, S.-W., 2014, Establishment of non-drinking groundwater quality standards: general contamination substances, J. Soil Groundw. Environ., 19(6), 24-29. https://doi.org/10.7857/JSGE.2014.19.6.024
- Nam, S.H., Lee, W.M., Jeong, S.W., Kim, H.J., Kim, H.K., Kim, T.S., and An, Y.J., 2013, Comparative study of groundwater threshold values in European Commission and member states for improving management of groundwater quality in Korea, J. Soil Groundw. Environ., 18(3), 23-32. https://doi.org/10.7857/JSGE.2013.18.3.023
- Ministry of Environment, 2013b, Groundwater Quality Measurement Network Operating Result.
- Ministry of Environment, 2013a, Establishment of Groundwater Quality Monitoring Networks and Groundwater Monitoring Plan.
- Mendizabal, I., Baggelaar, P.K., and Stuyfzand, P.J., 2012, Hydrochemical trends for public supply well fields in the Netherlands (1898-2008), natural backgrounds and upscaling to groundwater bodies, J. Hydrol., 450-451, 279-292. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2012.04.050
- Lee, J.Y, Yi, M.J, Lee, J.M., Ahn, K.H., Won, J.H., Moon, S.H., and Cho, M.J., 2006, Parametric and non-parametric trend analysis of groundwater data obtained from national groundwater monitoring stations, J. Soil Groundw. Environ., 11(2), 56-67.
- Kim, G.B., Choi, D.H., Yoon, P.S., and Kim, K.Y., 2010, Trends of groundwater quality in the areas with a high possibility of pollution, J. Korea Geo-Environ. Soc., 11(3), 5-16.
- Kim, K.H., Yun, S.T., Kim, H.K., and Kim, J.W., 2015, Determination of natural backgrounds and thresholds of nitrate in South Korean groundwater using model-based statistical approaches, J. Geochem. Explor., 148, 196-205. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gexplo.2014.10.001
- Korea Environment Institute, 2013, A Study on the Determination of Background Levels in Groundwater and Improvement of Groundwater Quality Standards (I).
- EPA, Ireland, 2010, Methodology for Establishing Groundwater Threshold Values and the Assessment of Chemical and Quantitative Status of Groundwater, Including an Assessment of Pollution Trends and Trend Reversal.
- Yoon, H.S., Bae, G.O., and Lee, K.K., 2012, Quantification and evaluation of groundwater quality grade by using statistical approaches, J. Soil Groundw. Environ., 17(1), 22-32.
- Yea, Y.D., Seo, Y.G., Kim, R.H., Cho, D.J., Kim, K.-S., and Cho, W.-S., 2014, A study on estimating background concentration of groundwater for water quality assessment in non-water supply district, J. Korean Soc. Water Wastewater, 28(3), 345-358. https://doi.org/10.11001/jksww.2014.28.3.345
- Salmi, T., Määttä, A., Antilla, P., Ruoho-Ariola, T., and Amnell, T., 2002, Detecting trends of annual values of atmospheric pollutants by the Mann-Kendall test and Sen’s slope estimates -the Excel template application MAKESENS, Finnish Meteorological Institute, Helsinki.
- Fifty years of groundwater science in Korea: a review and perspective vol.21, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12303-017-0015-7
Grant : "지중 수리 특성화 및 저심도 지하수 환경영향 평가, 예측 및 모니터링"