- Volume 20 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Characterization of Algal Community of Yongdam Reservoir and Identification of Ecological Factors Inducing the Changes in Community Composition
용담호 조류군집의 시공간적 분포와 조류발생 요인분석
- Received : 2015.11.06
- Accepted : 2015.12.01
- Published : 2015.12.31
Spatial and temporal changes in algal population in Yongdam reservoir and ecological factors that induced the changes in the size and composition of algal population were investigated by monthly sampling at ten locations in the reservoir. Nutritional state of the reservoir was identified to be phosphorus-limited with nitrogen to phosphorus (N : P) ratio much greater than 17 in most samples. Algal population was dominated by three taxonomic groups, diatoms, chlorophytes and cyanobacteria. Although explosive algal growth was not observed in the summer, algal population showed transition with time of the dominant algal type from diatoms in the winter to cyanobacteria in the summer. Chlorophyta was not the dominant group in the reservoir although they maintained relatively stable number of cells in the reservoir and showed increase in population from March to May. The application of statistical methods revealed that the factors inducing changes in cell number of each group were water temperature for diatoms and cyanobacteria and phosphorus concentration for chlorophyte. Fluctuation of cyanobacterial population was mainly observed near the inlet of tributaries while diatoms showed higher variation inside the reservoir.
- Heo, W., Kwon, S., Kim, Y., Yih, W., and Kim, B., Phosphorus and suspended solid loading in lake Yongdam, Korean J. Limnol., 38, 322-333.
- Hellström, T., 1996, An empirical study of nitrogen dynamics in lakes, Water Environ. Res., 68, 55-65. https://doi.org/10.2175/106143096X127208
- Forsberg, C. and Ryding, S.O., 1980, Eutrophication parameters and trophic state indices in 30 Swedish waste-receiving lakes, Arch. Hydrobiol., 89, 189-207.
- Deneke, R. and Nixdorf, B., 1999, On the occurrence of clearwater phases in relation to shallowness and trophic state: a comparative study, Hydrobiologia, 408/409, 251-262. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1017088008761
- Cho, W., Yum, K, Kim, J., Jin, B., and Chung, S., 2012, Study on algae occurrence in Daecheong reservoir, Environmental Impact Assessment, 21, 367-380.
- Caraco, N.F., Cole, J.J., and Likens, G.E., 1993, Sulfate control of phosphorus availability in lakes, Hydrobiologia, 253, 275- 280. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00050748
- Park, J., Kim, Y., Heo, W., Kim, B., and Yih, W., 2006, Bloomforming cyanobacteria in Yongdam lake (1) Nutrient limitation in a laboratory strain of a nitrogen-fixing cyanobacterium, Anabaena spiroides v. crassa, J. Korean Soc. Oceanogr., 11, 158- 164.
- Nurnberg, G.K., 1987, A comparison of internal phosphorus loads in lakes with anoxic hypolimnia: Laboratory incubation hypolimnetic phosphorus accumulation, Limnol. Ocreanogr., 32, 1160-1164. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.1922.214.171.1240
- Michaud, J.P., 1991, A citizen’s guide to understanding and monitoring lakes and streams. Publ. #94-149. Washington State Dept. of Ecology, Publications Office, Olympia, WA.
- K-water, 2000, Report on water quality management for Yongdam multipurpose dam construction project, 17 p.
- Kwon, Y., Han, S., and Lee, J., 2002, Bhatnagar, M. and Ajmer, A.B., 2000, Alagal and cyanobacterial response to fluoride, Fuoride, 33, 55-65.
- Kim, T., 2006, Variational characteristics of nutrient loading in inflow streams of the Yongdam reservoir using flow-loading equation, Environmental Impact Assessment, 15, 129-138.
- Lee, Y., Koh, D., Chae, H., and Han, H., 2012, Observation of reservoir current using drifter (The case study of Yongdam reservoir), Korean J. Limnol., 45, 200-209.
- Lee, Y. and Kwon, S., 2009, A study on measuring the similarity among sampling sites in lake Yongdam with water quality data using multivariate techniques, Environmental Impact Assessment, 18, 401-409.
- Lee, K., Kim, B., Park, K., Chae, S., Yu, D., Kang, K., Kang, I., Yu, J., and Baek, W., 2005, A study on algae properties of the Lake Yongdam, Jeollabukdo Institute of Health and Environment Research Report, 121 p.
- Yu, S., Chae, M., Hwang, J., Lee, J., Park, J., and Choi, T., 2005, Analysis of trophic state variation in lake Yongdam in dam construction, J. Korean. Sco. Water Qual., 21, 360-367.
- Tirok, K. and Gaedke, U, 2006, Spring weather determines the relative importance of ciliates, rotifers and crustaceans for the initiation of the clear-water phase in a large deep lake, J. Plankton Res., 28, 361-373. https://doi.org/10.1093/plankt/fbi121
- Tilman, D., Kiesling, R., Sterner, R., Kilham S.S., and Johnson, F.A., 1986, Green, bluegreen and diatom algae: Taxonomic differences in competitive ability for phosphorus, silicon and nitrogen, Arch. Hydrobiol., 106, 473-485.
- Thyne, G., Güler, C., and Poeter, E., 2004, Sequential analysis of hydrochemical data for watershed characterization, Ground Water, 42, 711-723. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-6584.2004.tb02725.x
- Thunqvist, E.L., 2003, Increased chloride concentration in lake due to deicing salt application, Water Sci. Technol., 48, 51-59.
- Suk, H. and Lee, K., 1999, Characterization of a ground water hydrochemical system through multivariate analysis: clustering into ground water zones, Ground Water, 37, 358-366. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-6584.1999.tb01112.x
- Rittmann, B.E. and McCarty, P.L., 2000, Environmental Biotechnology, McGraw-Hill. P.754.
- Richardson, T.L., Gibson, C.E., and Heaney, S.I., 2000, Temperature, growth and seasonal succession of phytoplankton in Lake Baikal, Siberia, Freshwater Biology, 44, 431-440. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2427.2000.00581.x
- Redfield, A.C., 1958, The biological control of chemical factors in the environment, Am. Sci., 46, 205-221.
- Park, J., Park, J., Kim, J., and Shin, J., 2005, Spatial and temporal variations of environmental factors and phytoplankton community in Andong reservoir, Korea, Algae, 20, 333-343. https://doi.org/10.4490/ALGAE.2005.20.4.333