- Volume 20 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Solidification and Stabilization of Metal(loid)s-contaminated Soils using Single Binders
단일 고형화제를 이용한 중금속류 오염 토양의 고형화/안정화
- Received : 2015.12.05
- Accepted : 2015.12.18
- Published : 2015.12.31
Remediation of metal(loid)s-contaminated sites is crucial to protect human and ecosystem. Solidification and stabilization of metal(loid)s by the binder amendment is one of the cost-effective technologies. In this study, metal (loid)s in various field-contaminated soils obtained from steel-making, metal refinery and mining tillage were immobilized by the application of single binders such as diammonium phosphate (DAP), lime, and ladle slag. The efficiency of solidification and stabilization was evaluated by Toxicity Characteristic Leaching Procedure (TCLP) and the Standard, Measurements and Testing programme of European Union (SM&T) extraction processes. In terms of TCLP extraction, the binder was effective in order of lime > DAP > ladle slag. All binders were highly effective in the immobilization of Pb, Zn, Cu, Ni, and Cd. The increased immobilization efficiency is attributed to the increase in the Step III and IV fractions of the SM&T extraction. Lime and ladle slag were highly effective in the immobilization of the metal(loid)s, however, As release increased with DAP due to competition between the phosphate originated from DAP and arsenate. A further study is needed for the better immobilization of multi metal(loid)s using binary binders.
Solidification/Stabilization;Heavy Metals;Diammonium phosphate;Lime;Ladle Slag
- Hartley, W., Edwards, R., and Lepp, N.W., 2004, Arsenic and heavy metal mobility in iron oxide-amended contaminated soils as evaluated by short-and long-term leaching tests, Environ. Pollut., 131, 495-504. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2004.02.017
- Gwon, J.C., Jeong, M.C., and Jeong, M.Y., 2006, Stabilization of arsenic and heavy metal nearby abandoned metal mine, Korean Soc. Soil Groundw. Environ., Proceedings of the KoSSGE conference, p. 41-44.
- Degryse, F., Smolders, E., Oliver, I., and Zhng, H., 2003, Relating soil solution Zn concentration to diffusive gradient in thin films measurements in contaminated soils, Environ. Sci. Technol., 37, 3958-3965. https://doi.org/10.1021/es034075p
- Chung, D.G., 2015, Propulsion and prospect of the management of abandoned metal mines, Korea Coal Assoc., 47, 29-36.
- Chen, M. and Ma, L.Q., 2001, Comparison of three aqua regia digetio methods for twenty Florida soils, Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J., 65, 491-499. https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj2001.652491x
- Basta, N.T. and McGrowen, S.L., 2004, Evaluation of chemical immobilization treatments for reducing heavy metal transport in a smelter-contaminated soil, Environ. Pollut., 127, 73-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0269-7491(03)00250-1
- Appel, C., Ma, L.Q., and Rhue, R.D., 2003, Kenelley, E., Point of zero charge determination in soils and minerals via traditional methods and detection of electroacoustic mobility, Geoderma, 113, 77-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0016-7061(02)00316-6
- Allison L.E., 1960, Wet-combustion apparatus and procedure for organic and inorganic carbon in soil, Soil Sci. Soc. Am. Proc., 24, 36-40. https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj1960.03615995002400010018x
- Adriano, D.C., 2001, Trace Elements in Terrestrial Environ-ments: Biogeochemistry, Bioavailability and Risks of Metals, Second edition, Springer, New York.
- Lim, J.E., Ahmad, M., Usman, A.R. A., Lee, S.S., Jeon, W.T., Oh, S.E., Yang, J.E., and Ok, Y.S., 2013, Effect of natural and calcined poultry waste on Cd, Pb and As mobility in contaminated soil, Environ. Earth. Sci., 69, 11-20. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12665-012-1929-z
- Kumpiene, J., Lagerkvist, A., and Maurice, C., 2008, Stabilization of As, Cr, Cu, Pb and Zn in soil using amendments - A review, Waste Manage., 28, 215-225. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2006.12.012
- Krishna, A.K. and Govil, P.K., 2004, Heavy metal contamination of soil around pali industrial area, Rajasthan, India. Environ. Geol., 47, 38-44. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00254-004-1124-y
- Kim, S.S. and Han, S.J., 2003, Electrokinetic Ground Remediation Technology, Goomibook, Seoul.
- Kim, E.H., Cho, J.K., and Yim, S., 2005, Digested sewage sludge solidification by converter sludge for landfill cover, Chemosphere, 59, 387-395. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2004.10.038
- Kim, D.H. and Choi, Y.J., 2014, Improvment of the soil pollution investigation, The Report of Busan Research Institute of Health & Environment, 24-2, 230-248.
- Jung, M.C., Ahn, J.S., and Chon, H.T., 2001, Environmental contamination and sequential extraction of trace elements from mine wastes around various metalliferous mines in Korea, Geosystem Eng., 4, 50-60. https://doi.org/10.1080/12269328.2001.10541168
- Jun, K.S. and Oh, S.E., 2002, Chemical fixation of heavy metal in contaminated soil from abandoned mine land, J. Korean Soc. Civ. Eng., 22, 67-80.
- Jeon, J., Bae, B., and Kim, Y., 2010, Applicability test of various stabilizers for heavy metals contaminated soil from smelter area, J. Korea Geo-Environ. Soc., 11, 63-75.
- Hettiarachchi, G.M., Pierzynski, G.M., and Ransom, M.D., 2001, In situ stabilization of soil lead using phosphorous, J. Environ. Qual., 30, 1214-1221 https://doi.org/10.2134/jeq2001.3041214x
- Park, J.H., 2005, Immobilization of Heavy Metal Contaminated Soil using Phosphate and Modified Clay, Master’s thesis, Kumoh National Institute of Technology, Gumi, Korea.
- NIER (National Institute of Environmental Research), 2008, Survey of the Heavy Metals on Farmland Soil and Drainage at Abandoned Mine Area, NIER No. 2008-100-1050.
- Ministry of Environment, 2013, Korean Ministry of Environment Standard, Sejong, Korea.
- Ministry of Environment, 2011, Soil Monitoring Network and Soil Contamination Survey Results, Korea.
- Ministry of Environment, 2005, Primary Investigation of Soil Pollution Status for Abandoned Metal Mines, Korea.
- Maiz, I., Esmaola, M.V., and Milian, E., 1997, Evaluation of heavy metal availability in contaminated soils by a short sequential extraction procedure, Sci. Total Environ., 206, 107-115. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0048-9697(97)80002-2
- Luo, Y.M. and Christie, P., 1998, Choice of extraction technique for soil reducible trace metals determines the subsequent oxidisable fraction in sequential extraction schemes, Int. J. Environ. Anal. Chem., 72, 59-75. https://doi.org/10.1080/03067319808032644
- Lee, S., 2006, Geochemistry and parting of trace metals in paddy soils affected by metal mine tailings in Korea, Geoderma, 135, 26-37.
- Lee, E.G. and Choi, S.I., 2007, Stabilization of heavy metalscontaminated soils around the abandoned mine area using phosphate, J. Soil Groundw. Environ., 12, 100-106.
- Lee, B.K., Koh, I.H., and Kim, H., 2005, Research paper: The partitioning characteristics of heavy metals in soils of Ulsan by sequential extraction precedures, J. Korean Soc. Environ. Eng., 27, 25-35.
- Shi, Z. and Erickson, L.E., 2001, Mathematical model development and simulation of in situ stabilization in lead-contaminated soils, J. Hazard. Mater., B87, 99-116.
- Shi, C. and Day, R.L., 2000, Pozzolanic reaction in the presence of chemical activators Part I. Reaction kinetics, Cem. Concr. Res., 30, 51-58. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0008-8846(99)00205-7
- Scheckel, K.G. and Ryan, J.A., 2003, In vitro formation of pyromorphite via reaction of Pb sources with soft-drink phosphoric acid, Sci. Total Environ., 302, 253-265. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0048-9697(02)00350-9
- Rha, C.Y., Kang, S.K., and Kim, C.E., 2000, Investigation of the stability of hardened slag paste for the stabilization/solidification of wastes containing heavy metal ions, J. Hazard. Mater., 73, 255-267. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3894(99)00185-5
- Raicevic, S., Kaludjerovic-Radoicic, T., and Zouboulis, A.I., 2005, In situ stabilization of toxic metals in polluted soils using phosphates: theoretical prediction and experimental verification, J. Hazard. Mater., 117, 41-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2004.07.024
- Porter, S.K., Scheckel, K.G., Impellitteri, C.A., and Ryan, J.A., 2004, Toxic metals in the environment: thermodynamic considerations for possible immobilisation strategies for Pb, Cd, As, and Hg, Crit. Rev. Environ. Sci. Technol., 34, 495-604. https://doi.org/10.1080/10643380490492412
- Peryea, E.J. and Kammereck, R., 1997, Phosphate-enhanced movement of arsenic out of lead arsenate-contaminated topsoil and through uncontaminated subsoil, Water Air Soil Pollut., 93, 243-254.
- Park, M.K., Lee, H.J., Kim, K.J., and Moon, Y.S., 2005, The correlation of heavy metal contents in herbal medicines and their soils at north Gyeongbuk area, J. Environ. Sci., 14, 185-192.
- Yun, S.W., Kang, S.I., Jin, H.G., Kim, H.J., Lim, Y.C., Yi, J.M., and Yu, C., 2011, An investigation of treatment effects of limestone and steel refining slag for stabilization of arsenic and heavy metal in the farmland soils nearby abandoned metal mine, Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert., 44, 734-744. https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2011.44.5.734
- Yang, J.S., Lee, J.Y., Park, Y.T., Back, K., and Choi, J., 2010, Soil pollution characteristics of metallic mine area according to extraction methods, J. Soil Groundw. Environ., 15, 1-6.
- USEPA, Method 9081: Cation-exchange capacity (sodium acetate), In: Test Methods for the Evaluation of Solid Waste: Laboratory Manual Physical Chemical Methods. SW-846, Office of Solid Waste, Washington, DC, 1986.
- USEPA, Method 1311: Toxicity characteristic leaching procedure, In: Test Methods for the Evaluation of Solid Waste: Laboratory Manual Physical Chemical Methods. SW-846, Office of Solid Waste, Washington, DC, 1992.
- Umoren, I.U., Udoh, A.P., and Udousoro, I.I., 2007, Concentration and chemical speciation for the determination of Cu, Zn, Ni, Pb and Cd from refuse dump soils using the optimized BCR sequential extraction procedure, Environmentalist, 27, 241-252. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10669-007-9001-3
- Theodoratos P., Papassiopi N., and Xenidis A., 2002, Evaluation of monobasic calcium phosphate immobilization of heavy metals in contaminated soils from Lavrion, J. Hazard. Mater., B94, 135-146.
- Spence, R.D. and Shi, C., 2005, Stabilization and Solidification of Hazardous, Radioactive and Mixed Wastes, CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL.
- Son, J.H., Roh, H., Lee, S.Y., Kim, S.K., Kim, G.H., Park, J.K., Yang, J.K., and Chang, Y.Y., 2009, Stabilization of heavy metal contaminated paddy soils near abandoned mine with steel slag and CaO, J. Soil Groundw. Environ., 14, 78-86.
- Zemberyova, M., Bartekova, J., and Hagarova, I., 2006, The utilization of modified BCR three-step sequential extraction procedure for the fractionation of Cd, Cr, Cu, Ni, Pb and Zn in soil reference materials of different origins, Talanta, 70, 973-978. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.talanta.2006.05.057