- Volume 20 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of Rhizofiltration for Uranium Removal with Calculation of the Removal Capacity of Raphanus sativus L.
무순(Raphanus sativus L.)의 제거능 계산에 의한 뿌리여과법의 우라늄 제거 가능성 평가
- Received : 2015.07.09
- Accepted : 2015.09.17
- Published : 2015.12.31
The uranium removal capacity of radish sprouts (Raphanus sativus L.) in groundwater was calculated on the basis of the amount of uranium accumulated in the radish sprouts rather than the concentration in solution, of which process was very limited in previous studies. Continuous rhizofiltration clean-up system was designed to investigate the feasibility of radish sprouts, applying for uranium contaminated groundwater (U concentration: 110 μg/L) taken at Bugogdong, Busan. Six acrylic boxes (10 cm × 30 cm × 10 cm) were connected in a direct series for the continuous rhizofiltration system and 200 g of radish sprouts cultivars was placed in each box. The groundwater was flushed through the system for 48 hours at the constant rate of 5 mL/min. The rhizofiltration system was operated in the phytotron, of which conditions were at 25℃ temperature, 70% of relative humidity, 4,000 Lux illumination (16 hours/day) and 600 mg/L of CO2 concentration. While 14.4 L of contaminated groundwater was treated, the uranium removal efficiency of the radish sprouts (1,200 g in wet weight) was 77.2% and their removal capacities ranged at 152.1 μg/g-239.7 μg/g (the average: 210.8 μg/g), suggesting that the radish sprouts belong to the group of hyper-accumulation species. After the experiment, the sum of U amounts accumulated in radish sprouts and remained in groundwater was 1,472.2 μg and the uranium recovery ratio of this rhizofiltration experiment was 92.9%. From the results, it was investigated that the radish sprouts can remove large amounts of uranium from contaminated groundwater in a short time (few days) because the fast growth rate and the high U accumulation adsorption capacity.
Hyper-accumulation species;Phytoremediation;Radish sprouts;Raphanus sativus L.;Removal capacity;Rhizofiltration;Uranium
- Dushenkov, S., Vasudev, D., Kapulnik, Y., Gleba, D., Fleisher, D., Ting, K.C., and Ensley, B., 1997, Removal of uranium from water using terrestrial plants, Environ. Sci. Technol., 31, 3468- 3474. https://doi.org/10.1021/es970220l
- Cornish, J.E., 1995, Evaluation of in situ phytoremediation of uranium-contaminated soils in Ohio and Montana. Hazardous Management '95 Conference proceeding.
- Chen, H. and Cutright, T., 2001, EDTA and HEDTA effects on Cd, Cr, and Ni uptake by helianthus annuus, Chemosphere, 45, 1-28. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-6535(01)00074-1
- Beveridge, T.J. and Murray, R.G.E., 1980, Sites of metal deposition in the cell wall of bacillus subtilis, Int. J. Mycobacteriol., 141, 876-887.
- Baker, A.J.M., McGraht, S.P., Reeves, R.D., and Smith, J.A.C., 1998, Metal hyperaccumulator plants: a review of the ecology and physiology of a biological resource for phytoremedation of metalpolluted soils, In terry N, banuelos GS(eds.) phytoremedation, Ann Arbor Press, Ann arbor, MI.
- Antonkiewicz, J. and Jasiewicz, C., 2002, The use of plants accumulating heavy metals for detoxification of chemically polluted soils, J. Polish Agric. Univ., 5, 121-143.
- Jeong, S.K., Kim, T.S., and Moon, H.S., 2010, Characteristics of heavy metals uptake by plants: based on plant species, types of heavy metals, and initial metal concentration in soil, J. Soil Groundw. Environ., 15(3), 61-68.
- Jeon, D.Y., 2009, Radionuclides of ground waters in Busan, J. Soil Groundw. Environ., 14(5), 51-61.
- Igwe, J.C. and Abia, A.A., 2006, A bioseparation process for removing heavy metals from wastewater using biosorbents, African J. Biotechnol., 5, 1167-1179.
- Han, Y.K., Kim, S.Y., Heo, H.J., and Lee, M., 2014, Application of rhizofiltration using Lettuce, Chinese Cabbage, Radish Sprouts and Buttercup for the remediation of uranium contaminated groundwater, J. Soil Groundw. Environ., 19(6), 37-48. https://doi.org/10.7857/JSGE.2014.19.6.037
- Grenthe I., Fuger, J., Lemire R.J., Muller A.B., Nguyen-Trung C., Wanner H., and Forest, I., 1992, Chemical Thermodynamics of Uranium, Elsevier.
- Ghosh, M. and Singh S.P., 2005, A review on phytoremediation of heavy metals and utilization of its byproducts, Appl. Ecol. Environ. Res., 3, 1-18.
- Gatliff, E.G., 1994, Vegetative remediation process offers advantages over traditional pump-and-treat technologies, Remediation, Summer, 343-352.
- Freundlich, H., 1906, Adsorption in solution, Phys. Chem. Soci., 40, 1361-1368.
- Eapen, S., Suseelan, K.N., Tivarekar, S., Kotwal, S.A., and Mitra, R., 2003, Potential for rhizofiltration of uranium using hairy root cultures of Brassica juncea and Chenopodium amaranticolor, Environ. Res., 91, 127-133. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0013-9351(02)00018-X
- Dushenkov, V., Kumar, P.B.A.N., Motto, H., and Raskin, I., 1995, Rhizofiltration: The use of plants to remove heavy metals from aqueous streams, Environ. Sci. Technol., 29, 1239-1245. https://doi.org/10.1021/es00005a015
- Langmuir, I., 1918, The adsorption of gases on plane surfaces of glass, mica and platinum, J. Ameri. Chem. Soci., 40, 1361-1403. https://doi.org/10.1021/ja02242a004
- Langmuir, D., 1997, Aqueous Environmental Geochemistry, Prentice-Hall, Inc. Upper Saddle River, NJ.
- Son, C.M., Lee, S.M., Kim, Y.K., Kim, S.W., and Kim, H.S., 1978, Explanatory Text of the Geological Map of Dongrae Sheet(1:50,000). Korea Research Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Resources.
- Simonich, S.L. and Hites, R.A., 1995, Organic pollutant ccumulation in vegetation, Environ. Sci. Technol., 29(12), 2905-2914 https://doi.org/10.1021/es00012a004
- Schnoor, J.L., 1998, Phytoremediation, Ground-Water Remediation Technology Analysis Center, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Schnoor, J.L., Light, L.A., McCutcheon, S.C., Wolfe, N.L., and Carreira, L.H., 1995, Phytoremediation of organic and nutrient contaminants, Environ. Sci. Technol., 29(7), 318-323. https://doi.org/10.1021/es00007a747
- Reeves, R.D. and Baker, A.J.M., 2000, Metal-accumulating plants. In: Raskin, I. (Ed.), phytoremediation of toxic metals: using plants to clean up the environment, John Wiley & Sons, Incorporated, 193-229.
- National Institute of Environmental Research (NIER), 1999, Report for the investigation of naturally occurred radioactive materials in groundwater (I).
- Ministry of Environment (MOE), 2007, Final report for the investigation of naturally occurred radioactive materials in groundwater.
- Macek, T., Mackova, M., and Kas, J., 2000, Exploitation of plants for the removal of organics in environmental remediation, Biotechnol. Adv., 18, 23-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0734-9750(99)00034-8
- Lee, H.M., Moon K.H., Kim, J.S., Ahn, J.K., and Kim, H.C., 2008, Distribution of some environmental radionuclides in rocks and soils of Guemjeong-Gu area in Busan, J. Petrol. Soci. Korea, 17(3), 179-190.
- Yang, M.J., James, W.J., and Lee, M.H., 2015, Uranium and cesium accumulation in bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L. var. vulgaris) and its potential for uranium rhizofiltration, J. Environ. Radioact., 140, 42-49. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvrad.2014.10.015
- Willey, N. and Collins, C., 1996, Phytoremediation of soil ontaminated with low concentration of radionuclides, Water, Air, Soil Pollut., 88, 167-176.
- Waite, T.D., Davis, J.A., Payne, T.E., Waychunas, G.A., and Xu, N., 1994, Uranium(VI) adsorption to ferrihydrite: application of a surface complexation modell, Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta, 58, 5465-5478. https://doi.org/10.1016/0016-7037(94)90243-7
- US EPA, 1999, Phytoremediation resource guide, EPA 542-B-99-003.
- Tlustos, P., Pavlikova, D., Szakova, J., Fischeroa, Z., and Balik, J., 2006, Exploitation of fast growing trees in metal remediation, In phytoremediation rhizoremediation, Eds. Martina Mackova, David N. Dowling, and Thomas Macek, 83-102, Springer.
- Suzuki, Y., Kelly, S.D., Kemner, K.M., and Banfield, J.F., 2002, Nanometre-size products of uranium bioreduction, Nature, 419, 134.
- Son, M., Hamm, S.Y., Kim, I.S., Lee, Y.H., Jeong, H., Ryu, C.K., and Song, W.K., 2002, Fracture analysis for evaluation of groundwater flow around the geumjeong mountain, Busan, J. Eng. Geol., 12(3), 305-317.