- Volume 28 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Preliminary Research of the effect of Korean Herbal Cosmetic on Quality ofLife based on Dermatology Life Quality Index(DLQI) in Healthy Women
한방화장품이 건강한 성인 여성의 삶의 질에 미치는 영향에 관한 예비 연구
- Received : 2015.09.30
- Accepted : 2015.11.13
- Published : 2015.11.25
Objective : The aim of this study is to assess the effect of Korean Herbal Cosmetic on quality of life (QoL) of Korean Herbal Cosmetics Using Dermatology Life Quality Index (DLQI) stratified by blind versus non-blinded option.Methods : Forty five healthy females aged 30's to 40's were recruited for this study. Volunteers were divided into two groups : Group A (n=22) was provided an anti-aging cream with ginseng extract in the original packaging including the brand name and logo. Group B (n=23) were provided same cream in a plain white normal jar without any package decoration or logo.Results : All females except two volunteers in group A completed a DLQI questionnaire, baseline, after 4 weeks and 8 weeks of treatment. The baseline of DLQI scores of all groups was 3.23±2.72. There was a significant difference in DLQI scores between before, 4 weeks and 8 weeks after in both groups ; The scores changed from 4.25±3.45 to 0.95±1.15 at 4 weeks, 1.00±1.72 at 8 weeks in group A, The scores of group B changed from 2.35±1.47 to 0.83±1.23 at 4 weeks, 0.65±0.98 at 8 weeks. But both had no interaction effect between follow up times and groups. Subscale DLQI scores improved after 4weeks were 'Symptoms and feelings', only in group BConclusions : Both groups showed significant improvements in QoL quality scores evaluated by DLQI. However, interaction was not observed for whether the participants knew the brand and content of the cream.
Quality of life;Dermatology Life Quality Index (DLQI);Korean Herbal Cosmetic
- Shin HC. The Definition of Health-Related Quality of Life. J. Korean Acad. Fam. Med. 1998 ;19(11):1008-15.
- Herrman H, Metelko Z, Szabo S, Rajkumar S, Kumar SH, VanHeck G, et al. The World Health Organization Quality of Life Assessment (WHOQOL): development and general psychometric properties. Soc. Sci. Med. 1993;12(2):153-9.
- Segot-Chicq E, Compan-Zaouati D, Wolkenstein P, Consoli S, Rodary C, Delvigne V, et al. Development and validation of a questionnaire to evaluate how a cosmetic product for oily skin is able to improve well-being in women. J. Eur. Acad. Dermatol. Venereol. 2007;21(9):1181-6.
- Deshayes P. Cosmetic camouflage for a better quality of life. Ann Dermatol Venereol. 2009;136(6):372-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annder.2008.05.026
- Holme SA, Beatti PE, Fleming CJ. Cosmetic camouflage advice improves quality of life. Br J Dermatol. 2002;147(5):946-9. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2133.2002.04900.x
- Hayashi N, Imori M, Yanagisawa M, Seto Y. Make up improves the quality of life of acne patients without aggravating acne eruptions during treatment. Eur J. Dermatol. 2005;15(4): 284-7.
- Zip C. The impact of acne on quality of life. Skin Therapy Lett. 2007;12(10):7-9.
- Patzer PL. Improving self-esteem by improving physical attractiveness. The European Journal of Esthetic Dentistry. 1997;9(1):44-6. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1708-8240.1997.tb00915.x
- Jayaprakasam A, Darvay A, Osborne G, McGibbon D. Comparison of assessments of severity and quality of life in cutaneous disease. Clin. Exp. Dermatol. 2002;27(4): 306-8. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2230.2002.01025.x
- Jemec GB, Wulf HC. Patient-physician consensus on quality of life in dermatology. Clin. Exp. Dermatol.1996;21:177-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2230.1996.tb00057.x
- Bae EJ, Seo SH, Kye YC, Ahn HH. Use of Quality of Life Instruments in Original Articles of the Korean Journal of Dermatology. Korean J. Dermatol. 2010;48(3):179-83.
- Jeong TY, Cho JH, Son CG. An Overview of HRQOL (Health Related Quality of Life) Instrument and Application in Oriental Medicine. J. Korean Oriental Med. 2010;31(2):64-70.
- Tanioka M, Yamamoto Y, Kato M, Miyachi Y. Camouflage for patients with vitiligo vulgaris improved their quality of life. J Cosmet Dermatol. 2010;9(1):72-5. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1473-2165.2010.00479.x
- Seité S, Deshayes P, Dréno B, Misery L, Reygagne P, Saiag P, et al. Interest of corrective makeup in the management of patients in dermatology. Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol. 2012;5:123-8.
- Boehncke WH, Ochsendorf F, Paeslack I, Kaufmann R, Zollner TM. Decorative cosmetics improve the quality of life in patients with disfiguring skin diseases. Eur J Dermatol. 2002;12(6):577-80.
- Sadick NS. The impact of cosmetic interventions on quality of life. Dermatol Online J. 2008 ;14(8):2.
- Kim HY, Park GH, Park EJ, Kwon IH, Kim KH, Kim KJ. Usefulness of Melasma Quality of Life Scale (MELASQOL) When Evaluating the Quality of Life in Korean Melasma Patients. Korean J. Dermatol. 2013;51(6):422-8.
- Kang HK, Baek JO, Roh JY, Lee JR. Change of Quality of Life after Melasma Treatment. Korean J. Dermatol. 2012;50(7):579-83.
- Cho TH, Hong SH, Ryou JY, Lee MH. Quality of Life in Melasma. Korean J. Dermatol. 2007;45(3):232-6.
- An BG, Lee SJ, Nam GG, Jeong YL, Lee SH. The Korean Version of Skindex-29. Korean J. Dermatol. 2004;42(1):9-15.
- Lewis V, Finlay AY. 10 years experience of the Dermatology Life Quality Index (DLQI). J Investig Dermatol Symp Proc. 2004;9(2): 169-80. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1087-0024.2004.09113.x
- Lee HJ, Park CO, Lee JH, Lee KH. Life Quality Assessment among Adult Patients with Atopic Dermatitis. Korean J. Dermatol. 2007;45(2):159-64.
- Finlay AY, Khan GK. Dermatology Life Quality Index (DLQI): a simple practical 2009 measure for routine clinical use. Clin. Exp. Dermatol. 1994;19(3):210-6. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2230.1994.tb01167.x
- Beresniak A, de Linares Y, Krueger GG, Talarico S, Tsutani K, Duru G, et al. Validation of a New International Quality-of-Life Instrument Specific to Cosmetics and Physical Appearance: BeautyQoL Questionnaire. Arch Dermatol. 2012;148(11):1275-82. https://doi.org/10.1001/archdermatol.2012.2696
- Wu Y, Niu Y, Zhong S, Liu H, Zhen Y, Saint-Leger D, et al. A preliminary investigation of the impact of oily skin on quality of life and concordance of self-perceived skin oiliness and skin surface lipids. Int J Cosmet Sci. 2013;35(5):442-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/ics.12063
- Arbuckle R, Clark M, Harness J, Bonner N, Scott J, Draelos Z, et al. Item reduction and psychometric validation of the Oily Skin Self Assessment Scale (OSSAS) and the Oily Skin Impact Scale (OSIS). Value Health. 2009;12(5):828-37. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1524-4733.2009.00504.x
- E Segot-Chicq, D Compan-Zaouati, P Wolkenstein, S Consoli, C Rodary, Delvigne V, et al. Development and validation of a questionnaire to evaluate how a cosmetic product for oily skin is able to improve well-being in women. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2007;21(9):1181-6.
- Yun YH, Choi IH. Quality of Life and Economic Impact of Adult Atopic Dermatitis Patients in Seoul. J Korean Med Ophthalmol Otolaryngol Dermatol. 2010;23(1):199-214.
- Matsuoka Y, Yoneda K, Sadahira C, Katsuura J, Moriue T, Kubota Y. Effects of skin care and makeup under instructions from dermatologists on the quality of life of female patients with acne vulgaris. J Dermatol. 2006;33(11):745-52. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1346-8138.2006.00174.x