- Volume 28 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Flavor Characteristics and Consumer Acceptance of Yacon (Smallanthus sonchifolius Poepp & Endl) Leaf Tea by Different Processes
Shin, Dong Young;Hyun, Kyu Hwan;Kuk, Yong In;Shin, Dong Won;Chun, Soon Sil
- 투고 : 2015.08.28
- 심사 : 2015.12.07
- 발행 : 2015.12.31
The purpose of this research was to find the most appropriate process for making yacon leaf tea. We applied both green tea and black tea brewing and fermenting methods for producing yacon leaf tea. This research included consumer test and descriptive analysis of professional trained panel on yacon tea tastes and flavors. Both consumer test and descriptive evaluation preferred yacon tea produced by black tea brewing and fermenting methods because it tasted less bitter and had a sweet, delicate taste. According to orthogonal transformation resulting from varimax rotation, first principal component was positively affected by black tea brewing and fermenting methods, while it was negatively affected by green tea brewing and fermenting methods. As a result, the study concluded black tea brewing and fermenting methods were appropriate for producing yacon leaf tea.
Yacon (Smallanthus sonchifolius Poepp& Endl);Leaf tea;Consumer test;Descriptive analysis
- Geyer, M., I. Manrique, L. Degen and C. Beglinger. 2008. Effect of yacon (Smallanthus sonchifolius) on colonic transit time in healthy volunteers. Digestion 78(1):30-33. https://doi.org/10.1159/000155214
- Genta, S., W. Cabrera, N. Habib, J. Pons, I.M. ICarillo, A. Grau and S. Sanchez. 2009. Yacon syrup: beneficial effects on obesity and insulin resistance in humans. Clin Nutr. 28(2):182-187. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clnu.2009.01.013
- Fernández, E.C, I. Viehmannová, J. Lachman and L. Milella. 2006. Yacon [Smallanthus sonchifolius (Poeppig & Endlicher) H. Robinson]: a new crop in the Central Europe. Plant Soilenviron. 52(12):564-570.
- Aybar, M.J, A.N. Anchez iera, A. Rau and S.S. Sanchez. 2001. Ypoglycemic effect of the water extract of Smallantus sonchifolius (Yacon) leaves in normal and diabetic rats. J. Ethnopharmacol. 74(2):125-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-8741(00)00351-2
- Valentova, K., F. Sersen and J. Ulrichova. 2005. Radical scavenging and anti-lipoperoxidative activities of Smallanthus sonchifolius leaf extracts. J. Agric. Food Chem. 53(14):5577-5582. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf050403o
- Shin, D.Y. and I.S. Nou. 1999. Varietal classification by multivariate analysis on quantitative traits in pecan. Plant Resour. 2(2):75-80.
- Scheid, M.M., P.S. Genaro, Y.M. Moreno and G.M. Pastore 2014. Freeze-dried powdered yacon: effects of FOS on serum glucose, lipids and intestinal transit in the elderly. Eur. J. Nutr. 53(7):1457-1464. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00394-013-0648-x
- Padilha, V. M., P.M. Rolim, S.M. Salgado., A.V.S. Livera and M.G.D. Oliveira. 2009. Avaliação do tempo de secagem e da atividade de óxido-redutases de yacon (Smallanthus sonchifolius) sob tratamento químico. Ciência Rural. 39:2178-2184. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0103-84782009005000142
- Obanda, M., P.O. Owuor and R. Mang'oka. 2001. Changes in the chemical and sensory quality parameters of black tea due to variations of fermentation time and temperature. Food Chemistry 75(4):395-404. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(01)00223-0
- Lee, J. and D.H. Chambers. 2007. A lexicon for flavor descriptive analysis of green tea. J. Sens Stud. 22(3):256-272. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-459X.2007.00105.x
- Lee, J., D.H. Chambers and E.T. Chambers. 2014. A comparison of the flavor of green teas from around the world. J. Sci. Food Agric. 94(7):1315-1324. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.6413
- Lee, J. and D.H. Chambers. 2010. Descriptive analysis and U.S. consumer acceptability of 6 green tea samples from China, Japan, and Korea. J. Food Sci. 75(2):141-147.
- Kim, I.S., J. Lee, J.S. Lee, D.Y. Shin, M.J. Kim and M.K. Lee. 2010. Effect of fermented yacon (Smallanthus sonchifolius) leaf tea on blood glucose levels and glucose metabolism in high-fat diet and streptozotocin-induced type 2 diabetic mice. The Korean Journal of Nutrition 43(4):333-341. https://doi.org/10.4163/kjn.2010.43.4.333
- Wang, L.F., D.M. Kim and C.Y. Lee. 2000. Effects of heat processing and storage on flavanols and sensory qualities of green tea beverage. J. Agric. Food Chem. 48(9):4227-4232. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf0003597