- Volume 20 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Number of Running Screens and Viewers in the Theaters, Genres, Holdback Period on the Number of Purchases of Movie VOD in the Digital Cable TV Subscribers
디지털케이블TV에서 영화의 선행창구 성과, 장르, 홀드백 기간이 영화 VOD 구매에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2015.09.14
- Accepted : 2015.10.19
- Published : 2015.11.30
This paper analyzes the effect of the number of viewers and the number of running screens in the theater, genres of the movies and holdback period on the number of purchases movie VOD contents. In this paper, we deals with the 169 movies VOD consumption data which the digital cable TV subscribers purchased during the third quarter of 2013. As a result of the research, the average number of VOD purchases per each movie is 2,540. Regression analysis proves that the number of running screens and the holdback period are statistically playing a role of significance in movie VOD purchases. But the number of viewers in the theaters is not of significance. By genres, the result is shown as in this order: SF/fantasy 8,401 > dramas 4,011 > comedies 2,011 > action 1,789 > animation 1,138 > love story/melo 1,119 > horror/thriller 770 > erotic movies 636.
accumulated number of viewers;number of running screens;genres;holdback period;regression analysis
- Yeon Ju Moon, “A Study on Improvement of Legislation Methods to control”, Korea Communications Standards Commission, 2011.
- Korea Communications Agency, "The Status and Outlook of VOD Service use pattern of Pay-TV Viewer", Broadcasting・ Communication・Propagation, no. 64, 2013.
- Ericsson Consumerlab, TV and Media Identifying the needs of tomorrow's video consumers. An Ericsson Consumer Insight Summary Report, 2013.
- Moon-Haeng Lee, Heon-Sook Lee, “Study on the Performance of Distribution of Korean Drama”, Korean Association for Broadcasting & Telecommunication Studies, vol.19 no. 2, pp. 501-537, 2005.
- Sora Park, “Windowing Strategies of Korean Broadcasting Networks-A Choice between Media Diversification and Intertemporal Price Discrimination”, Broadcasting & Communication, vol.8 no. 2, pp. 6-35, 2007.
- D. H. Kim, "Broadcasting Contents distribution and copyright”, Broadcasting Research, Winter, pp.83~108, 2007.
- Yoon Hwa Kim, “The Analysis of Ground-wave Television Broadcasting Program Viewing: Comparison between Real-time Viewing and VOD Viewing”, KISDISTAT Report, 13-05-02, 2013.
- Suk Kim, "Windowing integration model of TV drama following the appearance of non-linear media: focuson demand and supply's effect of windowing", Division of Media Studies, Ewha Womans University doctorate thesis, pp. 70-98, 2012.
- I. S. Kim, “ A study on performance of television drama windows: television networks, cable and internet VOD”, journal of yeouido, spring, pp.73~111, 2006.
- Korean Film Commission, “Korea film industry settlement in 2013”, Korean Film Commission, 2014.
- J. S. Lim, “The conjoint analysis of user preference and variable properties in TV-VOD contents”, Journal of Korea Broadcasting, no. 27, vol. 5, pp. 204~243, 2013.
- H. J. Lee, Suk Kim, “The factors influencing TV drama ratings”, Journal of Korea Broadcasting, no. 21-6, pp. 492-535, 2007.
- Moon-Haeng Lee, “Viewing Pattern of IP-VOD Subscribers”, The Korea Contents Association, vol.10 no.1, pp. 181-191, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2010.10.1.181
- Jin-Ah Seol, Mi-Sun Bong, “A Study on the IPTV Usage and Service Satisfaction”, Korean Association For Communication And Information Studies, no. 46, pp. 485-510, 2009.
- Jong Soo Park, "The Outlook of Advertising and Media Industry View in the latter half of 2013", hanwha stock, 2013.
- Yoo Sik Park, "A Study on VOD Pricing and Substitution Effect of Advertising Time: focused on Program Genres and Consumer Characteristics", KOREA BROADCAST, 2011.
- Media & Future Institute, "The Status of Domestic and Foreign VOD Services Industry and a Study on its Legal Regulations", Foundation for Broadcast Culture research reports, 2010.
- Seong-Won Lim, “A Study on Competition Structure of Broadcasting Platform in the Era of Media Convergence : Focused on the Niche Comparison of Selection Factors of Users”, Korean Association for Broadcasting & Telecommunication Studies, vol.21 no. 3, pp. 276-326, 2008.
- Boo Goon Whang, "A Study on the Regulation Policy for VOD Service Promotion", Graduate School of Public Policy and Information Technology", Seoul National University of Science & Technology doctorate thesis, 2008.
- Cabletelevision Advertising Bureau, "Video On Demand: Consumers are Catching up", 2013.
- Dounia Turrill, “Viewing on Demand", Nielsen CROSS-PLATFORM REPORT, 2013.
- Y. S. Min, Y. J. Hwang, “legalization in illegal distribution of charged contents”, Hi Investment & Securities Research Center, 2013.
- H. J. Kim, “A status analysis of movie online illegal distribution”, the Korean Film Commission, 2013.
- D. W. Kim, “Movie Industry Current Status and the Financial Structure Analysis”, KB Management Institute, 2012.
- Philip Napoli, The Changing Face of Media Distribution and the Decline of Windowing. Carsey-Wolf Center Media Industries Project, 2011.
- J. K. Song, “ The plan for actuality of utilization and distribution activation of payed VOD movie contents”, Korean Film Commission, 2013.
- K. S. Kang, “Contents industrial trend analysis report in the fourth quarter of 2013”, KCCA, 2014.
- Waterman, D. Lee, S., Time Consistency and the Distribution of Theatrical Films: An Empirical Study of the Video Window. Paper Presented at the Allied Social Science Association Annual Meeting, 2003.
- B. M. Owen, S. S. Wildman, Video Economics. Cambridge, MA: Havard University Press, 1992.
- In-Hyok Choi, Moon-Sung Choi, "Study on the Characteristics of Movie Consumers and the Corresponding Marketing Communications", Korea Business Review, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 143~164, 2008.
- Seoung-Hoon Hyun, "A Q-Methodological Study of Audiences’ Attitudes for Movie Trailer", Mokwon University, 2012.
- S. J. Lim, J. H. Kang, “A study on box-office factor in internet VOD theater”, Strategy Management Research, no. 9, vol. 1, 53~76, 2006.
- Hyun Chul Choi, Statistical Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences, Nanam Publishing House, pp. 155, 2008.
- B. S. Jeon, "Cultural Patterns of Movie Genre Choice", Journal of Korea Broadcasting, no. 18-3, pp. 554-597, 2004.