- Volume 16 Issue 4
Small advance ratio and low Reynolds number of stratospheric propulsion system bring lots of challenges to the design of propellers. Contra-rotating propeller configuration is proposed to improve the propulsion efficiency. In this paper, the feasibility of contra-rotating propeller for stratospheric airship has been assessed and its performance has been investigated by wind tunnel tests. The experimental results indicate, at relatively low Reynolds number, although the advance ratio is fixed, the performance of propellers is different with variation of Reynolds number. Moreover, at the same Reynolds number, the efficiency of contra-rotating propeller achieved appears to be a few percent greater than that for a standard conventional propulsion system. It can be concluded that contra-rotating propellers would be an efficient means to improve the performance of stratospheric airship propulsion system.
contra-rotating propeller;stratospheric airship;low Reynolds number;small advance ratio
- Schmidt, D. K., Stevens, J. and Roney J., "Near-Space Station-Keeping Performance of a Large High-Altitude Notional Airship", Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 44, No. 2, 2007, pp. 611-615. DOI: 10.2514/1.24863 https://doi.org/10.2514/1.24863
- Colozza, A., "Initial Feasibility Assessment of a High Altitude Long Endurance Airship", NASA/CR-2003-212724, 2003.
- Jamison, L., Sommer, G. S. and Porche, I. R., "High-Altitude Airships for the Future Force Army", Rand Arroyo Center TR-234-A, Santa Monica, CA, 2005.
- Moomey E. R., "Technical Feasibility of Loitering Lighter-than-Air Near-Space Maneuvering Vehicles", M.S. Dissertation, U.S. Air Force Inst. Of Technology Rept. ADA437762, Wright-Patterson AFB, OH, March 2005.
- Carichner, G. E. and Nicolai, L. M., Fundamentals of Aircraft and Airship Design (Volume 2: Airship Design and Case Studies), AIAA Education Series, AIAA, Reno, VA, 2013, pp. 151-195.
- Biermann, D. and Gray, W. H., "Wind-Tunnel Tests of Single-and Dual-Rotating Pusher Propellers Having from Three to Eight Blades", NACA ARR (WR L-359), 1942.
- Biermann, D. and Hartman, E. P., "Wind-Tunnel Tests of Four- and Six-Blade Single- and Dual-Rotating Tractor Propellers", NACA Rept. 747, 1942.
- Colehour, J. L. and Davenport, F. J., "Analysis of Counter-Rotating Propeller Performance", AIAA 23rd Aerospace Sciences Meeting, Reno, Nevada, 1985, AIAA Paper 1985-0005, DOI: 10.2514/6.1985-5 https://doi.org/10.2514/6.1985-5
- Wainauski, H. S. and Vaczy, C. S., "Aerodynamic Performance of a Counter Rotating Prop-Fan", AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE 22nd Joint Propulsion Conference, Huntsville, Alabama, 1986, AIAA Paper 1986-1550, DOI: 10.2514/6.1986-1550 https://doi.org/10.2514/6.1986-1550
- McHugh, J. G. and Pepper, E., "The Characteristics of Two Model Six-Blade Counterrotating Pusher Propellers of Conventional and Improved Aerodynamic Design", NACA ARR (WR L-404), 1942.
- Gray, W. H., "Wind Tunnel Test of Dual-Rotating Propellers with Systematic Differences in Number of Blades, Blade Setting and Rotational Speed of Front and Rear Propellers", NACA ARR L4E22 (WR L-80), 1944.
- Shin, H., Whitfield, C. E. and Wisler, D. C., "Rotor-Rotor Interaction for Counter-Rotating Fans, Part 1: Three-Dimensional Flowfield Measurements", AIAA Journal, Vol. 32, No. 11, 1994, pp. 2224-2233. DOI: 10.2514/3.12281 https://doi.org/10.2514/3.12281
- Sturmer, A., Marquez Gutierrez, C. O., Roosenboom, E. W. M., Schröder, A., Geisler, R., Pallek, D., Agocs, J. and Neitzke, K., "Experimental and Numerical Investigation of a Contra Rotating Open-Rotor Flowfield", Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 49, No. 6, 2012, pp. 1868-1877. DOI 10.2514/1.C031698 https://doi.org/10.2514/1.C031698
- Ma, R., "Design Technology Study on the High-Efficiency Propeller of the Low Dynamic Vehicles in Stratosphere", Ph.D. Dissertation, School of Aeronautic Science and Engineering, Beihang University, Beijing, China, 2010.
- Wald, Q. R., "The Aerodynamics of Propellers", Progress in Aerospace Sciences, Vol. 42, No. 2, 2006, pp. 85-128. DOI: 10.1016/j.paerosci.2006.04.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paerosci.2006.04.001
- Okulov, V. L., Sorensen, J. N. and Wood, D. H., "The rotor theories by Professor Joukowsky: Vortex theories", Progress in Aerospace Sciences, Vol. 73, 2015, pp. 19-46. DOI: 10.1016/j.paerosci.2014.10.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paerosci.2014.10.002
- Liu, P., Ma, L., Duan, Z. and Ma, R., "Study and Verification on Similarity Theory for Propellers of Stratospheric Airships", Journal of Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Vol. 38, No. 7, 2012, pp. 957-961.
- Selig, M. S., Lyon, C. A., Giguere, P., Ninham, C. P. and Guglielmo, J. J., Summary of Low-Speed Airfoil Data (Volume 2), SoarTech Publications, Virginia Beach, Virginia, 1996.
- Selig, M. S. and Guglielmo, J. J., "High-Lift Low Reynolds Number Airfoil Design", Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 34, No. 1, 1997, pp. 72-79. DOI: 10.2514/2.2137 https://doi.org/10.2514/2.2137
- Kline, S. J., "The Purpose of Uncertainty Analysis," Journal of Fluids Engineering, Vol. 107, No. 2, June 1985, pp. 153-160. DOI: 10.1115/1.3242449 https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3242449
- Anyoji, M., Nonomura, T., Aono, H., Oyama, A. and Fujii, K., "Computational and Experimental Analysis of a High-Performance Airfoil Under Low-Reynolds-Number Flow Condition", Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 51, No. 6, 2014, pp. 1864-1872. DOI: 10.2514/1.c032553 https://doi.org/10.2514/1.C032553
- Mieloszyk, J., Galinski, C., Piechna, J. and Brzozowski, J., "Contra-Rotating Propeller for Fixed Wing MAV: Part 2", Aircraft Engineering and Aerospace Technology, Vol. 85, No. 4, 2013, pp. 316-325. DOI: 10.1108/AEAT-Jan-2012-0009 https://doi.org/10.1108/AEAT-Jan-2012-0009
- Simplified Analytical Model for Investigating the Output Power of Solar Array on Stratospheric Airship vol.17, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5139/IJASS.2016.17.3.432
- CFD Analysis of Contrarotating Open Rotor Aerodynamic Interactions vol.2018, pp.1687-5974, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/9538787
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China