- Volume 16 Issue 4
Various R&D programs for rocket-based combined cycle (RBCC) engines have progressed worldwide for the space development and the defense applications. As a way toward indigenous domestic RBCC program, a preliminary design of flight test conditions was studied in this study for a sub-scale RBCC engine using a sounding rocket. Launch and flight profiles were calculated for several booster options and compared with that of HyShot II program. The result shows that the Korea Sounding Rocket-II (KSR-II) is a proper candidate to perform the flight test available in Korea. The recommend flight test conditions with KSR-II are Mach 6.0 with a test vehicle of 230 kg and Mach 7.4 with 50 kg. Present study will soon be followed by a design of sub-scale RBCC for a flight test using a sounding rocket.
Rocket-Based Combined Cycle (RBCC);flight test;sounding rocket;KSR-II
- Kim, H. S., Yang, W. S. and Choi, J. Y., "Sub-Orbital Hypersonic Flight Test Programs using Sounding Rockets and Small Launch Vehicles", Journal of The Korean Society for Aeronautical & Space Sciences, Vol. 43, No. 3, 2015, pp. 243-256. DOI: 10.5139/JKSAS.2015.43.3.243 https://doi.org/10.5139/JKSAS.2015.43.3.243
- Yang, W. S., Conceptual Design and Performance Analysis of RBCC for Flight Test using Sounding Rocket, Master's Thesis, Pusan National University, 2015.
- Sutton, G. P. and Biblarz, O., Rocket Propulsion Elements, Eighth Edition, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New Jersey, 2010.
- Fleeman, E. L., Tactical Missile Design, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Virginia, 2001.
- Smart, M. K., Hass, N. E. and Paull, A., "Flight Data Analysis of the HyShot 2 Scramjet Flight Experiment," AIAA Journal, Vol. 44, No. 10, 2006, pp. 2366-2375. DOI: 10.2514/1.20661 https://doi.org/10.2514/1.20661
- Smart, M. K. and Suraweera, M. V., "HIFiRE 7 - Development of a 3-D Scramjet for Flight Testing," AIAA Paper 2009-7259, Proceedings of 16th AIAA/DLR/DGLR International Space Planes and Hypersonic Systems and Technologies Conference, 2009, pp. 1-19.
- Moon, I. S., Moon, I. Y., Cho, S. B. and Ha, S. U., "Study on Methodology of Low Cost Sounding Rocket Development," Proceedings of the 41th Korean Society of Propulsion Engineers Conference, 2013, pp. 45-51.
연구 과제 주관 기관 : National Research Foundation (NRF) of Korea