- Volume 16 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Monocular Vision-Based Guidance and Control for a Formation Flight
Cheon, Bong-kyu;Kim, Jeong-ho;Min, Chan-oh;Han, Dong-in;Cho, Kyeum-rae;Lee, Dae-woo;Seong, kie-jeong
- Received : 2015.06.22
- Accepted : 2015.10.21
- Published : 2015.12.30
This paper describes a monocular vision-based formation flight technology using two fixed wing unmanned aerial vehicles. To measuring relative position and attitude of a leader aircraft, a monocular camera installed in the front of the follower aircraft captures an image of the leader, and position and attitude are measured from the image using the KLT feature point tracker and POSIT algorithm. To verify the feasibility of this vision processing algorithm, a field test was performed using two light sports aircraft, and our experimental results show that the proposed monocular vision-based measurement algorithm is feasible. Performance verification for the proposed formation flight technology was carried out using the X-Plane flight simulator. The formation flight simulation system consists of two PCs playing the role of leader and follower. When the leader flies by the command of user, the follower aircraft tracks the leader by designed guidance and a PI control law, and all the information about leader was measured using monocular vision. This simulation shows that guidance using relative attitude information tracks the leader aircraft better than not using attitude information. This simulation shows absolute average errors for the relative position as follows: X-axis: 2.88 m, Y-axis: 2.09 m, and Z-axis: 0.44 m.
Vision-based formation flight;UAV;Position estimation;Attitude estimation;X-Plane;Light sport aircraft
- Yu Gu, Brad Seanor, Giampiero Campa, Marcello R. Napolitano, Larry Rowe, Srikanth Gururajan, and Sheng Wan "Design and Flight Testing Evaluation of Formation Control Laws," IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON CONTROL SYSTEMS THECHNOLOGY, Vol. 14, No. 6, November, 2006, pp. 1105-1112. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCST.2006.880203
- Yong-kyu Song, Chang-hwan Heo, Sang-jun Lee, and Jung-han Kim, "Autonomous Formation Flight Tests of Multiple UAVs," Journal of The Korean Society for Aeronautical & Space Sciences, Vol. 38 No. 3, March, 2010, pp. 264-273. https://doi.org/10.5139/JKSAS.2010.38.3.264
- Dong-Il You, and Hyun-chul Shim, "Leader-Follower based Formation Guidance Law and Autonomous Formation Flight Test of Multiple MAVs," Journal of The Korean Society for Aeronautical & Space Sciences, Vol. 39, No. 2, February, 2011, pp. 121-127. https://doi.org/10.5139/JKSAS.2010.39.2.121
- Hyo-Sang Shin, Min-Jea Thak, and Hyoun-Jin Kim, "Nonlinear Model Predictive Control for Multiple UAVs Formation Using Passive Sensing," International Journal of Aeronautical and Space Sciences, Vol. 12, No. 1, 2011, pp. 16-23. https://doi.org/10.5139/IJASS.2011.12.1.16
- Yoichi Sato, Takeshi Yamasaki, Hiroyuki Takano, and Yoriaki Baba, "Trajectory Guidance and Control for a Small UAV," KSAS International Journal, Vol. 7, No. 2, November, 2006, pp. 137-144.
- Jongug Choi, and Youdan Kim, "UAV Formation Flight Control Law Utilizing Energy Maneuverability," KSAS International Journal, Vol. 9, No. 1, May, 2008, pp. 31-41.
- Mingu Kim, and Youdan Kim, "Multiple UAVs Nonlinear Guidance Laws for Stationary Target Observation with Waypoint Incidence Angle Constraint," International Journal of Aeronautical and Space Sciences, Vol. 14, No. 1, 2013, pp. 67-74. https://doi.org/10.5139/IJASS.2013.14.1.67
- Jin-Wook Lee, and H. Jin Kim, "Waypoints Assignment and Trajectory Generation for Multi-UAV Systems," KSAS International Journal, Vol. 8, No. 2, November, 2007, pp. 107-120.
- Seung-Min Oh, and Eric N. Johnson., "Relative Motion Estimation for Vision-based Formation Flight using Unscented Kalman Filter," AIAA Guidance, Navigation and Control Conference and Exhibit, Aug, 2007, pp. 20-23.
- Zouhair Mahboubi, Zico Kolter, Tao Wang, Geoffrey Bower, and Andrew Y. Ng, "Camera Based Localization for Autonomous UAV Formation Flight," Infotech@Aerospace Conference(AIAA) 2011, March, 2011, pp. 1-13.
- Youngjoo Kim, Wooyoung Jung and Hyochoong Bang, "Visual Target Tracking and Relative Navigation for Unmanned Aerial Vehicles in a GPS-Denied Environment," International Journal of Aeronautical and Space Sciences, Vol. 15, No. 3, 2014, pp. 258-266. https://doi.org/10.5139/IJASS.2014.15.3.258
- Jin-Woo Heo, Jeong-Ho Kim, Dong-In Han, Dae-Woo Lee, Kyeum-Rae Cho, and Gi-bong Hur., "Pose Estimation of Leader Aircraft for Vision-based Formation Flight," Journal of The Korean Society for Aeronautical & Space Sciences, Vo.41, No.7, July, 2013, pp.532-538. https://doi.org/10.5139/JKSAS.2013.41.7.532
- Bruce D. Lucas, and Takeo Kanade, "An Iterative Image Registration Technique with an Application to Stereo Vision" IJCAI'81 Proceedings of the 7th international joint conference on Artificial intelligence-Vol. 2, 1981, pp. 674-679.
- Carlo Tomasi, and Takeo Kanade, "Detection and Tracking of Point Features", Carnegie Mellon University Technical Report CMU-CS-91-132, April, 1991.
- Plane Maker manuals home page, "http://developer.xplane.com/manuals/planemaker/".
- Byung-soo Kim, You-dan Kim, Hyo-choong Bang, and Min-jea Tahk, Sung-kyung Hong, Flight dynamics and control, fourth ed, Kyungmoon, Seoul, 2004, Chapter 7, 8.
- Young-jun Seo, Chan-oh Min and Dae-woo Lee, "Development and Flight Test of Auto-landing System Using X-Plane Simulator," Proceedings of KSAS Fall Meeting, April, 2011, pp. 435-440.
Supported by : Ministry of Trade, Industry & Energy(MI)