- Volume 16 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Performance Evaluation of Hinge Driving Separation Nut-type Holding and Releasing Mechanism Triggered by Nichrome Burn Wire
LEE, Myeong-Jae;LEE, Yong-Keun;OH, Hyun-Ung
- Received : 2015.09.09
- Accepted : 2015.12.22
- Published : 2015.12.30
As one of the mission payloads to be verified through the cube satellite mission of Cube Laboratory for Space Technology Experimental Project (STEP Cube Lab), we developed a hinge driving separation nut-type holding and releasing mechanism. The mechanism offers advantages, such as a large holding capacity and negligible induced shock, although its activation principle is based on a nylon cable cutting mechanism triggered by a nichrome burn wire generally used for cube satellite applications for the purpose of holding and releasing onboard appendages owing to its simplicity and low cost. The basic characteristics of the mechanism have been measured through a release function test, static load test under qualification temperature limits, and shock measurement test. In addition, the structural safety and operational functionality of the mechanism module under launch and on-orbit environments have been successfully demonstrated through a vibration test and thermal vacuum test.
Non-explosive holding and release mechanism;Nichrome burn wire;Cube satellite
- Woellert, K., Ehrenfreund, P., Ricco, A. J. and Hertzfeld, H. "Cubesats: Cost-effective Science and Technology Platforms for Emerging and Developing Nations", Adv. Space Res., Vol. 47, No. 4, 2011, pp. 663-684. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asr.2010.10.009
- Biddy, C. and Svitek, T., "LightSail-1 Solar Sail Design and Qualification", The 41st Aerospace Mechanisms Symposium, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, 2012, pp. 451-463.
- Plaza, J. M. E., Vilan, J. A. V., Agelet, F. A., Mancheno, J. B., Estevez, M. L., Fernandez, C. M. and Ares, F. S., "Xatcobeo: Small Mechanisms for CubeSat Satellites - Antenna and Solar Array Deployment", The 40th Aerospace Mechanisms Symposium, 2010, pp. 415-430.
- Arnold, S., Armstrong, J., Person, C. and Tietz, M., "Qbx - The CubeSat Experiment", The 26th Annual AIAA/USU Conference on Small Satellites, 2012, SSC12-XI-4.
- Springmann, J., Kempke, B., Cutler, J. and Bahcivan, H., "Initial Flight Results of the RAX-2 Satellite", The 26th Annual AIAA/USU Conference on Small Satellites, 2012, SSC12-XI-5.
- Woo, S. H. and Han, J. H., "Mid frequency shock response determination by using energy flow method and time domain correction", Shock and Vibration, Vol. 20, No. 5, 2013, pp. 847-862. https://doi.org/10.1155/2013/701863
- Vazquez, J. and Bueno, J. I., "Non Explosive Low Shock Reusable 20kN Hold-Down Release Actuator", European Space Agency, ESA - SP, Vol. 480, 2001, pp. 131-136.
- Lazansky, C. and Christiansen, S., "Problems and Product Improvements in a Qualified, Flight Heritage Product", The 38th Aerospace Mechanisms Symposium, 2006, pp. 75-88.
- Oh, H. U., Jo, M. S., Lee, K. M. and Kim, D. J., "Spaceborne Tilt Mirror Mechanism and Application of Shape Memory Alloy Actuator to Implement Fail-safe Function in Emergency Mode", Transaction of the Japan Society for Aeronautical and Space Sciences, Vol. 55, No. 6 2012, pp. 373-378. https://doi.org/10.2322/tjsass.55.373
- Yano, H., Kubota, T., Miyamoto, H., Okada, T., Scheeres, D., Takagi, Y., Yoshida, K., Abe, M., Abe, S., Barnouin-Jha, O., Fujiwara, A., Hasegawa, S., Hashimoto, T., Ishiguro, M., Kato, M., Kawaguchi, J., Mukai, T., Saito, J., Sasaki, S. and Yoshikawa1, M., "Touchdown of the Hayabusa Spacecraft at the Muses-C on Itokawa", SCIENCE, Vol. 312, 2006, pp. 1350-1353. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1126164
- Nakaya, K., Konoue, K., Sawada, H., Ui, K., Okada, H., Miyashita, N., Iai, M., Urabe, T., Yamaguchi, N., Kashiwa, M., Omagari, K., Morita, I. and Matunaga, S., "Tokyo Tech Cubesat: CUTE-I-design & development of flight model and future plan", AIAA 21st International Communications Satellite Systems Conference and Exhibit, 2003, AIAA 2003-2388.
- Thurn, A., Huynh, S., Koss, S., Oppenheimer, P., Butcher, S., Schlater, J. and Hagan, P., "A Nichrome Burn Wire Release Mechanism for CubeSats", The 41st Aerospace Mechanisms Symposium, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, 2012, pp. 479-488.
- Oh, H. U. and Lee, M. J., "Development of a Nonexplosive Segmented Nut-type Holding and Release Mechanism for Cube Satellite Applications", Transaction of the Japan Society for Aeronautical and Space Sciences, Vol. 58, No. 4, 2015, pp. 1-6. https://doi.org/10.2322/tjsass.58.1
- Oh, H. U., Jeon, S. H. and Kwon, S. C., "Structural Design and Analysis of 1U Standardized STEP Cube Lab for On-orbit Verification of Fundamental Space Technologies", International Journal of Materials, Mechanics and Manufacturing, Vol. 2, No. 3, 2014, pp. 239-244. https://doi.org/10.7763/IJMMM.2014.V2.135
- European Cooperation for Space Standardization, "Space Engineering Mechanisms", ESA Requirements and Standards Division, 2009, ECSS-E-ST-33-01C.
- Singarayar, F., Reinhard, R., Asma, C., Thoemel, J., Scholz, T., Bernal, C., Weggelaar, W., Shirville, G., Kataria, D. and Richard, M., "QB50 System Requirements and Recommendations", www.qb50.eu, Issue 4, 2013.
- On-Orbit Thermal Design and Validation of 1 U Standardized CubeSat of STEP Cube Lab vol.2016, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1155/2016/4213189
- Experimental Design Validation of Tilting Calibration Mechanism by Using Shape Memory Alloy Spring Actuator vol.2017, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/2538508
- Experimental Investigation on the Feasibility of Using Spring-Loaded Pogo Pin as a Holding and Release Mechanism for CubeSat’s Deployable Solar Panels vol.2018, pp.1687-5974, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/4854656
Supported by : Chosun University