- Volume 23 Issue 3
This paper mainly introduces the methods of extracting landslide information using ALOS(Advanced Land Observing Satellite) images and GIS(Geographical Information System) technology. In this study, we classified images using three different methods which are the unsupervised the supervised and the PCA(Principal Components Analysis) for extracting landslide information based on characteristics of ALOS image. From the image classification results, we found out that the quality of classified image extracted with PCA supervised method was superior than the other images extracted with the other methods. But the accuracy of landslide information extracted from this image classification was still very low as the pixels were very similar between the landslide and safety regions. It means that it is really difficult to distinguish those areas with an image classification method alone because the values of pixels between the landslide and other areas were similar, particularly in a region where the landslide and other areas coexist. To solve this problem, we used the LSM(Landslide Susceptibility Map) created with ArcView software through weighted overlay GIS method in the areas. Finally, the developed LSM was applied to the image classification process using the ALOS images. The accuracy of the extracted landslide information was improved after adopting the PCA and LSM methods. Finally, we found that the landslide region in the study area can be calculated and the accuracy can also be improved with the LSM and PCA image classification methods using GIS tools.
- Aleotti, P. and Chowdhury, R. 1999, Landslide hazard assessment: summary review and new perspectives. Bulletin of Engineering Geology and the Environment, Vol 58, pp. 21-44. https://doi.org/10.1007/s100640050066
- Guzzetti, F., Carrara, A., Cardinalli, M., and Reichenbach, P., 1999, Landslide hazard evaluation: a review of current techniques and their application in a multi-scale study, Central Italy, Geomorphology, Vol. 31, pp. 181-216. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0169-555X(99)00078-1
- Hagan, M. T., Demuth, H.B., and Beale, M., 1996, Neural Network Design, Boston: PWS Publishing.
- Holden, H. and LeDrew, E., 1998, Spectral discrimination of healthy and non-healthy corals based on cluster analysis, Principal components analysis, and derivative spectroscopy. Remote Sensing of Environment, Vol. 65, No. 2, pp. 217-224. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0034-4257(98)00029-7
- Jensen, J. R., Qiu, F. and Ji, M., 1999, Predictive modeling of coniferous forest age using statistical and artificial neural network approaches applied to remote sensing data, International Journal of Remote Sensing, Vol. 20, No. 14, pp. 2805-2822. https://doi.org/10.1080/014311699211804
- Kavzoglu, T., 2009, Increasing the accuracy of neural network classification using refined training data, Environmental Modelling & Software, Vol. 24, No 7, pp850-858. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envsoft.2008.11.012
- Kim, G., 2000, GIS introduction, Daiyeongsa, pp. 206-225.
- Komac, M., 2006, A landslide susceptibility model using the analytical hierarchy process method and multivariate statistics in perialpine Slovenia, Geomorphology, Vol. 74, No. 1-4, pp. 17-28. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geomorph.2005.07.005
- Mitternicht, G. I. and Zinck., J. A., 2003, Remote sensing of soil salinity : potentials and constraints. Remote Sensing of Environment Vol. 85, No. 1, pp. 1-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0034-4257(02)00188-8
- Pradhan, B. and Lee, S., 2010, Landslide susceptibility assessment and factor effect analysis: backpropagation artificial neural networks and their comparison with frequency ratio and bivariate logistic regression modelling, Environmental Modelling & Software, Vol. 25, pp. 747-759. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envsoft.2009.10.016
- Quan, H. C., Lee, B. G., Lee, C. S. and Ko, J. W., 2011, The landslide probability analysis using logistic regression analysis and artificial neural network methods in Jeju, The Korean Society for Geospatial Information System, Vol. 19, No. 3, pp. 33-40.
- Richards, J. and Jia, X., 2006, Remote sensing digital image analysis: an introduction (4Ed ). Springer, pp. 193-204.
- Shiquan, Z., Ming, S., Yulan, C., Quanfang, M., Cheng, H. and Zining, H., 2012, Research on identification of mangroves based on ALOS Data, ESIAT 2012 Vol. 14, pp. 100-106.
- Yalcin, A., 2008, GIS-based landslide susceptibility mapping using analytical hierarchy process and bivariate statistics in Ardesen(Turkey); Comparisons of results and confirmations, Catena, Vol. 72, pp. 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.catena.2007.01.003
- Zhao, G. and Maclean, A. L., 2000, A comparison of canonical discriminant analysis and principal component analysis for spectral transformation. Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing, Vol.66(7), pp.841-847.