- Volume 4 Issue 4
Strip footing is an important type of shallow foundations and is commonly used beneath the walls. Analysis of shallow foundation involves the determination of stresses and deformations. Element free Galerkin method, one of the important mesh free methods, is used for the determination of stresses and deformations. Element free Galerkin method is an efficient and accurate method as compared to finite element method. The Element Free Galerkin method uses only a set of nodes and a description of model boundary is required to generate the discrete equation. Strip footing of width 2 m subjected to a loading intensity of 200 kPa is studied. The results obtained are agreeing with the values obtained using analytical solutions available in the literature. Parametric study is done and the effect of modulus of deformation, Poisson's ratio and scaling parameter on deformation and stresses are determined.
strip footing;mesh free;element free galerkin method;vertical deformations;stress distribution
- Belytschko, T., Krongauz, Y., Organ, D. and Liu, W.K. (1996), "Smoothing and accelerated computations in the element free Galerkin method", J. Comput. Appl. Math., 74, 111-126. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-0427(96)00020-9
- Belytschko, T., Lu, Y.Y. and Gu, L. (1994), "Element free Galerkin methods", Int. J. Numer. Meth. Eng., 37, 229-256. https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.1620370205
- Belytschko, T., Lu, Y.Y. and Gu, L. (1995), "Crack propagation by element free Galerkin methods", Eng. Fract, Mech., 51(2), 295-315. https://doi.org/10.1016/0013-7944(94)00153-9
- Brighenti, R. (2005), "Application of the element-free Galerkin meshless method to 3-D fracture mechanics problems", Eng. Fract. Mech., 72, 2808-2820. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engfracmech.2005.06.002
- Das, B.M. (2008), Advanced Soil Mechanics, Taylor and Francis, London and New York, UK and USA.
- Dolbow, J. and Belytschko, T. (1998), "An introduction to programming the meshless element free galerkin method", Arch. Comput. Method. E., 5, 207-241. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02897874
- Kumar, R.P. and Dodagoudar, G.R. (2009), "Element free galerkin method for two dimensional contaminant transport modelling through saturated porous media", Int. J. Geotech. Eng., 3(4), 11-20. https://doi.org/10.3328/IJGE.2009.03.01.11-20
- Kumar, R.P. and Dodagoudar, G.R. (2010), "Modelling of contaminant transport through landfill liners using EFGM", Int. J. Numer. Anal. Method. Geomech., 34, 661-688
- Liu, G.R. and Gu, Y.T. (2005), An Introduction to Meshfree Methods and Their Programming, Springer
- Mategaonkar, M. and Eldho, T.I. (2011), "Simulation of groundwater flow in unconfined aquifer using meshfree point collocation method", Eng. Anal. Bound. Elem., 35(4), 700-707. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enganabound.2010.12.003
- Mategaonkar, M. and Eldho, T.I. (2012), "Two dimensional contaminant transport modeling using meshfree point collocation method (PCM)", Eng. Anal. Bound Elem, 36(4), 551-561. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enganabound.2011.11.001
- Pandey, S.S., Kasundra, P.K. and Daxini, S.D. (2013), "Introduction of meshfree methods and implementation of element free galerkin (efg) method to beam problem", Int. J. Theor. Appl. Res. Mech. Eng., 2(3), 2319-3182.
- Park, Y.C. and Leap, D.I. (2000), "Modelling groundwater flow by the element-free Galerkin (EFG) method", Geosci. J., 4(3), 231-241. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02910141
- Poulos, H.G. and Davis, E.H. (1974), Elastic Solutions for Soil and Rock Mechanics, John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York, USA.
- Ranjan, G. and Rao, A.S.R. (2011), Basic and Applied Soil Mechanics, New Age International, New Delhi, India.
- Thomas, A., Eldho, T.I. and Rastogi, A.K. (2013), "A comparative study of point collocation based meshfree and finite element methods for groundwater flow simulation", ISH J. Hyd. Engg, 20(1), 65-74.
- Wang, Z.L. and Li, Y.C. (2006), "Analysis of factors influencing the solution of the consolidation problem by using an element-free Galerkin method", Comput. Geosci., 32, 624-631. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cageo.2005.09.002